Lockback Love

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Lockback Love

Post by danno50 »

That it is, Greg! Here is one I have in stag, but not very good condition. When open there is significant blade play, both up and down and side to side. A chunk of stag missing and stag pulling away from the bolsters.
Attachments
RIMG1420.JPG
RIMG1421.JPG
RIMG1422.JPG
RIMG1423.JPG
RIMG1424.JPG
Dan
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

I like that one Dan!!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks Mike.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

A couple of the favorites LBs ever. Moki and Tim Britton.
Attachments
WP_20180531_014.jpg
WP_20180531_026.jpg
WP_20180531_037.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Couple of real beauties there I-Man. ::tu::
Greg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Eye candy from the man, I-man that is. WOW those are gorgeous. ::tu:: × 10
abrowe

Post by abrowe »

Here's a lockback
Attachments
IMG_0100.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Got me a bad case of Copperlock love...specifically, of the Wharncliffe variety.
P5280004.JPG
P6020008.JPG
P6020006.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

This thread getting no love for so long, had to fix that. Bike/blade buddy on the block had this one and passed it along. Then he passed along. So it's more meaningful than most now. It's rock solid lock up and zero movement, and very nice size. Only thing I don't like is the poor fitting stag that they filled with some gray material/glue/whatever. Big gaps filled with caulk or something. Looks like a boy scout in woodshop did it. But otherwise it's fine. And the bolsters have textured scrolling, feels great, like it's for grip, not looks. Do like that. Gerber 01052.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210213_133020.jpg
thumbnail_20210201_171145.jpg
thumbnail_20210201_171124.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Here's a very old, Cattaraugus 11849 LB "Humpback" It's behind glass in the showcase so I can't get a better pic. It's approx. 4-3/8". The lock is rather primitive looking.. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2337.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 pm A couple of the favorites LBs ever. Moki and Tim Britton.
:shock: Wow! :shock: Sweet! :shock:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

My 4 inch really, really yellow Colonial lockback. Already shared it in the colonial thread but I'll put it here too. Works very well and feels good in my hand.
Attachments
DSC_3920.JPG
DSC_3922.JPG
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 am This thread getting no love for so long, had to fix that. Bike/blade buddy on the block had this one and passed it along. Then he passed along. So it's more meaningful than most now. It's rock solid lock up and zero movement, and very nice size. Only thing I don't like is the poor fitting stag that they filled with some gray material/glue/whatever. Big gaps filled with caulk or something. Looks like a boy scout in woodshop did it. But otherwise it's fine. And the bolsters have textured scrolling, feels great, like it's for grip, not looks. Do like that. Gerber 01052.
Nice knives but they look cold :D
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 pm My 4 inch really, really yellow Colonial lockback. Already shared it in the colonial thread but I'll put it here too. Works very well and feels good in my hand.

Thanks, they are cold. Not used to couple feet of snow around here. Getting used to it though.
Beautiful yellow there and the bolsterless pivot. Great show, never seen one like that before. Great stuff.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bkazz5 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:02 pm Here's a few favorites from my knife roll. First is a large stag bulldog with the locking mechanism up near the blade. Second, is a Colonel Coon with more of a traditional locking mechanism. Third, is a Cargill with Bob's patented side lock mechanism. Fourth, is a Parker/Schrade trapper with a liner lock, and finally a Parker lockback whittler.
Hey B.K.! Don't hold me to this, but I believe the locking mechanism on your top bulldog is called "fulcrum-release". 8) EDIT: Oops, just realized your post was from 2013! Sorry! 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 pm My 4 inch really, really yellow Colonial lockback. Already shared it in the colonial thread but I'll put it here too. Works very well and feels good in my hand.
Hey Nick ,when I saw this in the other Thread didn’t realize it is a lock back . Very cool ::tu:: nice clean looking piece . Thanks man ,stay warm .
JP
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Another LB rolling with me
Attachments
thumbnail_20210218_101932.jpg
thumbnail_20210218_105614.jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:42 pm Another LB rolling with me
Is that 2013 Tidioute Wharncliffe a #23? I did not know GEC made that model with a Wharncliffe blade. I'm curious about the lock up, i.e., is it better than the lock up on the #72s?
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

My newest lockbacks:

Brother (China) 1503 "Cowfish" with Carbon Fiber and Natural Bone handles.

The lockup is nice and tight with no blade movement whatsoever. The lock release is not super stiff/hard to push, and the blade drops down smoothly when released.

P2170008.JPG
P2170009.JPG
I'll be honest, I am amazed at the quality of these China made knives. For only $40.00, this is definitely a killer deal for a brand new knife of this quality.
~Q~
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:11 pm My newest lockbacks:

Brother (China) 1505 "Cowfish" with Carbon Fiber and Natural Bone handles.

The lockup is nice and tight with no blade movement whatsoever. The lock release is not super stiff/hard to push, and the blade drops down smoothly when released.

P2170008.JPGP2170009.JPG

I'll be honest, I am amazed at the quality of these China made knives. For only $40.00, this is definitely a killer deal for a brand new knife of this quality.
They do look nice ! I like that swedge, it's different, and it gives them a dagger look. Hows the VG-10 steel ? I only have one VG-10, and it's wicked sharp, but I don't use it for fear I might actually have to sharpen it. I hear they are a pain to get an edge on.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

My Case lockback. Very few knives from my teens / twenties survived, but this one was a 18th birthday gift from my mom. I have to confess, this isn't the original. My truck got broken into and my tool belt stolen, and I was heartbroken. A few years back, I managed to find this one on eBay and snagged it. It always makes me think of my mom when I see it, even though it's not the original.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Toejammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:21 pm My Case lockback. Very few knives from my teens / twenties survived, but this one was a 18th birthday gift from my mom. I have to confess, this isn't the original. My truck got broken into and my tool belt stolen, and I was heartbroken. A few years back, I managed to find this one on eBay and snagged it. It always makes me think of my mom when I see it, even though it's not the original.

Nice little Case T.J.! ::tu:: I'm quite partial to all-metal knives and yours ticks all the boxes for me. ::nod:: Really nice to have your Mom's memory with you at a glance too! 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Toejammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:11 pm
QTCut5 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:11 pm My newest lockbacks:
Brother (China) 1505 "Cowfish" with Carbon Fiber and Natural Bone handles.
Hows the VG-10 steel ? I only have one VG-10, and it's wicked sharp, but I don't use it for fear I might actually have to sharpen it. I hear they are a pain to get an edge on.
:lol: LOL :lol: I am definitely not a "steel nerd" and, though I have tried, I still have trouble remembering the specific qualities and characteristics of all the many different types of knife steel. Moreover, most of my knives are safe queens anyway, not users...so, although I own knives made with many different steel alloys, my real life experience using the different steels is actually quite limited.

I can tell you this much, however: the one VG-10 knife I had that I actually used was super sharp. Admittedly, I didn't use it for any particularly "heavy" cutting chores...cardboard, twine, paracord, leather boot laces, etc,...so the edge never really got very dull. Nevertheless, a few passes on a leather strop after each use was sufficient to maintain the razor sharp edge without ever needing to be touched up on a stone. I can't speak to the difficulty of putting an edge on a dull VG-10 blade, but in my experience, once you have a sharp edge, the VG-10 seems to hold it pretty well with just some light stropping between uses. I will probably carry and use at least one of my Brother knives from time to time, so it will be interesting to see how the VG-10 performs. BTW--I have read some concerns (doubts) on other forums and in some Brother knife reviews that the steel in these knives isn't really VG-10 at all; apparently there are some people who suspect the manufacturer just said it was VG-10 in order to justify a higher price. None of the doubters gave any evidence to support their suspicions and I have no idea how to determine if the steel on the Brother knives is really VG-10 or not, so I guess you just have to take a chance, buy one, try it out and decide for yourself. ::undecided::
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:51 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:42 pm Another LB rolling with me
Is that 2013 Tidioute Wharncliffe a #23? I did not know GEC made that model with a Wharncliffe blade. I'm curious about the lock up, i.e., is it better than the lock up on the #72s?

It's the 720113, bought it new in 2014 when we were into nothing but wharns for a while. The lock up was a little more loose than I wanted so I sent it in to GEC. It was better after it came back couple months later, but not solid, still some slight movement. The amazing thing is whatever they did when they messed with the back of the tang has worn in and gotten tighter over time. The back of the tang looked noticeably different when I got it back. They did a great job of that I must say, never thought it would slowly get tighter and lose some movement. That never happens right? I just whittled up some fire sticks for the wood stove and it feels solid. As a LB should be.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

FANTASTIC postings everyone. ::tu:: ::tu::
My contributions to this topic.
Attachments
A Pair Of GERBER "Pacific Bell" Lockback Pocket Knives (Awards).
A Pair Of GERBER "Pacific Bell" Lockback Pocket Knives (Awards).
A Pair Of PASTOR ALEMAN "007" Lockback Pocket Knives.
A Pair Of PASTOR ALEMAN "007" Lockback Pocket Knives.
A PASTOR ALEMAN "Dragon" Lockback Pocket Knife.
A PASTOR ALEMAN "Dragon" Lockback Pocket Knife.
A MERCATOR "K55ꓘ" Lockback Pocket Knife.
A MERCATOR "K55ꓘ" Lockback Pocket Knife.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “General Knife Discussion”