The whittler page

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Tsar Bomba

Re: The whittler page

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I believe the Case Classics are all Queen builds. Ivoryman's whittler looks suspiciously similar to my Robeson Mastercraft "splitback" whittler, though the jigging pattern is completely different and the secondary blades are different.

Gotta agree that I greatly prefer the big ol' hoss whittler as a pattern, though. I have nearly as many of those as I do "traditional" whittlers/half-whittlers. ::nod::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's one I've posted before (and probably will again); it's my all-time favorite (and most expensive) whittler...worth (almost) every penny. Only knife I own that has half-stops on the secondary blades. Great knife...certainly the best Case knife in my collection.
PC170356.JPG
PC170358.JPG
PC170357.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Going by the whittler definition that there is a split spring with the master nestled in between two small blades and one of those being a coping blade... I picked out 4 that loosely follow this definition. Actually, only 1 fits this definition precisely... the black scaled Schrade 836. The PSB 836 for some reason came from the factory with two little pens. The J.A. Henckels MOP has little left of it's blades and the file worked Camillus Senator Whittler #60, has one of it's small blades as a file. Anyway, here they are... (available light for photography was poor today)
Attachments
DSC_9097.JPG
DSC_9099.JPG
DSC_9100.JPG
DSC_9101.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

This is my newest 80 USA era, i got in a trade with Jerry. Very nice knife. Great snap good color.
Attachments
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Dave - those are four fine whittlers. As far as I am concerned, they fit the whittler definition just fine. Regarding the blades being worn down, I have a few old knives like that, but I just could resist making a bid when no one else seemed interested.

Jdub - nice Case!

Here is one of my latest whittlers, a Schatt and Morgan.
Attachments
S-M2.jpg
S-M1.jpg
Mel
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Dinadan wrote:Dave - those are four fine whittlers. As far as I am concerned, they fit the whittler definition just fine. Regarding the blades being worn down, I have a few old knives like that, but I just could resist making a bid when no one else seemed interested.

Jdub - nice Case!

Here is one of my latest whittlers, a Schatt and Morgan.
Very nice S&M! Does it have a split spring? Just curious.

So, I'm new at understanding whittlers. I found an old thread here that was many pages long discussing what a whittler was and I found it very interesting. So, I notice your S&M has a master clip blade.... which leads me to my question...
I have a Schrade Walden 804 Mechanics knife. It fits the whittler definition to a T, except the master is a sabre clip and one of the small blades is a clip but it does have a coping blade. There is a split spring, the master folds in between the 2 small blades when closed.... can this also be considered a whittler?

The only photo I have of the 804, is the one below and it's in the upper right corner, just above the black 836.
Attachments
DSC_8537X.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

CheckSix wrote: So, I'm new at understanding whittlers. I found an old thread here that was many pages long discussing what a whittler was and I found it very interesting. So, I notice your S&M has a master clip blade.... which leads me to my question...
I have a Schrade Walden 804 Mechanics knife. It fits the whittler definition to a T, except the master is a sabre clip and one of the small blades is a clip but it does have a coping blade. There is a split spring, the master folds in between the 2 small blades when closed.... can this also be considered a whittler?
Dave - I would absolutely consider the 804 a whittler! I am no expert and relatively new at collecting whittlers. I think the defining characteristic is that the main blade rides on both the back springs while the each of the secondary blades rides on one spring. There has been a lot of discussion about the definition of whittler, but I do not think that anyone would deny that the 804 is one. That one of yours looks to be mint! By the way, the 804 is one of my very favorite patterns right now, I have been carrying one a lot lately.

My Schatt and Morgan does have split springs, as can be seen in the photo below. Also including a photo of a Schrade 804 and a Craftsman 9488, which is the same knife with different color Delrin. I posted the photo in another thread but it fits here also.
Attachments
Backspring2.jpg
Schrade_Craftsman2.jpg
Mel
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Dinadan wrote: Dave - I would absolutely consider the 804 a whittler! I am no expert and relatively new at collecting whittlers. I think the defining characteristic is that the main blade rides on both the back springs while the each of the secondary blades rides on one spring. There has been a lot of discussion about the definition of whittler, but I do not think that anyone would deny that the 804 is one. That one of yours looks to be mint! By the way, the 804 is one of my very favorite patterns right now, I have been carrying one a lot lately.

My Schatt and Morgan does have split springs, as can be seen in the photo below. Also including a photo of a Schrade 804 and a Craftsman 9488, which is the same knife with different color Delrin. I posted the photo in another thread but it fits here also.
Very nice Mel!

and yes, that Walden 804 in my group photo is really close to perfect.

So, I didn't realize the 9488 Craftsman was the same knife! (Still learning!) I also have one of those but in imitation stag, shown below with etch still visible. I also have an oldie 804, pre model # stamp, in Parawood. Second one in from the left in the last photo.

Geeez! I have more whittlers than I thought! :lol:
Attachments
DSC_8716.JPG
DSC_8747.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice looking knives on here, guys.

Here's a nice old Cattaraugus sleeveboard whittler. 3 3/4".
Attachments
DSCN4325.JPG
Joe
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Nice Catt Joe!

I was able to take better photos of the 804's this morning... The bone Walden is really fine. The Parawood Walden is not. :wink:
Attachments
DSC_9109.JPG
DSC_9110.JPG
DSC_9112.JPG
DSC_9113.JPG
DSC_9118.JPG
DSC_9119.JPG
DSC_9114.JPG
DSC_9115.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Nice bunch of whittlers posted here. They are one of my favorite patterns. (along with others), I use one for whittling and carving withever I get the chance.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

CheckSix wrote:Nice Catt Joe!

I was able to take better photos of the 804's this morning... The bone Walden is really fine. The Parawood Walden is not. :wink:
Dave, you can pack up the wooden one and send it to me! I'd be proud to have it. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Joe - that ole Cattaraugus is a mighty fine looking knife. The reason that I do not have any Cattaraugus is that I can never remember how to spell the name when I search Ebay!

Dave - Great photos of those two Schrades. I do not recall seeing a wood handle 804 before. Do you think it came from the factory like that or did it get rehandled? Anybody know? By the way, I think your jigged 804 has Delrin grips, but the guys at Schrade sure made the Delrin look good.

The reason that I think the Craftsman 9488 is the same knife as the 804 is that I asked here a year or two ago and most of the knowledgeable folks thought it was the same knife. If you look closely at the 804 and 9488 you will see that instead of having a thick main blade, each has identical brass spacers to keep the main blade centered on the two springs. That feature is unique to these knives, at least as far as I know, and a pretty good indicator that they came from the same factory. In the photo below two Craftsman 9488s are on the left and two Schrade 804s are on the right, to illustrate the spacers.
Attachments
Schrade_Craftsman14.jpg
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Recent release by Queen, S&M #54 Coles Wharncliffe Whittler in Burnt Stag.
Attachments
S&M #54 Coles Wharncliffe Whittler -- Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Dinadan wrote: Dave - Great photos of those two Schrades. I do not recall seeing a wood handle 804 before. Do you think it came from the factory like that or did it get rehandled? Anybody know? By the way, I think you 804 has Delrin grips, but the guys at Schrade sure made the Delrin look good.
Ya, I've been trying to figure out the wood handle one. It may have been a pre-804, with Strata-Wood or ParaWood. The initial version of the 3-7/8" Mechanic's knife was a pattern #4. I've searched the catalogs I can find online and haven't found the exact knife yet.

Upon further careful inspection, I think you may be right, it's probably Delrin, which is 1961 or newer. The tang stamp is Schrade, over Walden, over NY USA. 1946 - 1973. It is really well done Delrin though because on casual inspection, it has some hints of it being bone.
NRA Life/Endowment
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

CheckSix wrote:
Dinadan wrote: Dave - Great photos of those two Schrades. I do not recall seeing a wood handle 804 before. Do you think it came from the factory like that or did it get rehandled? Anybody know? By the way, I think you 804 has Delrin grips, but the guys at Schrade sure made the Delrin look good.
Ya, I've been trying to figure out the wood handle one. It may have been a pre-804, with Strata-Wood or ParaWood. The initial version of the 3-7/8" Mechanic's knife was a pattern #4. I've searched the catalogs I can find online and haven't found the exact knife yet.

Upon further careful inspection, I think you may be right, it's probably Delrin, which is 1961 or newer. The tang stamp is Schrade, over Walden, over NY USA. 1946 - 1973. It is really well done Delrin though because on casual inspection, it has some hints of it being bone.
Like I said - it looks good! I really like that jigging pattern. That Delrin is good stuff. I have four of those old knives, every one heavily used, and on every one the handles are still perfect.
Mel
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Jdub wrote:This is my newest 80 USA era, i got in a trade with Jerry. Very nice knife. Great snap good color.
Absolutely beautiful whittler! I believe that stamp is a '70-79 Case stamp. How many dots does it have below the "USA"?
CheckSix wrote:I was able to take better photos of the 804's this morning... The bone Walden is really fine. The Parawood Walden is not. :wink:
The heck you say. Nothing wrong with that wood Schrade.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Jdub wrote:This is my newest 80 USA era, i got in a trade with Jerry. Very nice knife. Great snap good color.
Absolutely beautiful whittler! I believe that stamp is a '70-79 Case stamp. How many dots does it have below the "USA"?
CheckSix wrote:I was able to take better photos of the 804's this morning... The bone Walden is really fine. The Parawood Walden is not. :wink:
The heck you say. Nothing wrong with that wood Schrade.
It does not have any dots. It's a USA era 65-69. Thanks.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Jdub wrote:It does not have any dots. It's a USA era 65-69. Thanks.
Whoops. ::facepalm:: I completely misread your post and didn't think about the USA era stamp. Conflated pattern # for year. Disregard me please. ::disgust:: You sure seem to have made out on that trade. ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

S&M
Attachments
WP_20170426_008.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...beautiful!!!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Prime ::tu:: × 10
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very fine S&M, Ivoryman!

Here is a little, two and fifteen sixteenth inches, Sterling whittler. This knife may be tiny but someone sure used it a lot!
Attachments
Sterling Whittler
Sterling Whittler
Sterling Whittler
Sterling Whittler
Mel
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks gents, here's one in different light.
Attachments
WP_20170426_023.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Speaking of different light...I tried playing around with sunspots on this Cattaraugus CM-14 Sleeveboard Whittler
P6220353.JPG
P6220349.JPG
~Q~
~Q~

Return to “General Knife Discussion”