AAPK 2021 Club Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
mightyzaa3

Re: AAPK 2021 Club Knife

Post by mightyzaa3 »

beauty of a knife. membership lapsed way back, so i lose. now that my membership is back, maybe next year. am happy to support a great forum none the less. thank you for that. congrats to those who scored that looker. :shock:
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Woo-hoo!
20211023_122619_HDR~2.jpg
Trace
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Rotten wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:28 pm Woo.....
Don't forget to post that BEAUTY here also. ::tu:: ::tu::
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72678
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I can't believe a member/seller ::td:: is flipping this knife on the AAPK store
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

texoma wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am I can't believe a member/seller ::td:: is flipping this knife on the AAPK store
There are a few things i WOULD like to say, but is a family forum. Obviously had no intention of keeping it. Boycott his store i say. And i would make sure he never gets another one. Well done to you pointing this out. ::tu::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

texoma wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am I can't believe a member/seller ::td:: is flipping this knife on the AAPK store
::td:: ::disgust:: ::td::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Someone must have wanted it badly enough or it was taken down... it's marked sold ::shrug::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting... :x ::td::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:41 am
There are a few things i WOULD like to say, but is a family forum. Obviously had no intention of keeping it. Boycott his store i say. And i would make sure he never gets another one. Well done to you pointing this out. ::tu::
I agree with you cudgee his store should be boycotted by our members.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well, us "genuine collectors" may not appreciate the practice of "flipping" (although usually only when it involves a knife we really want), but at least he's honest about what he's doing since he does admit to being an "obsolete collector for the past 2 or 3 years" which I interpret to mean he's now just a flipper, i.e., buying knives with no intention of keeping/collecting them but rather to re-sell for profit. There's absolutely nothing wrong or unethical about doing that if you believe in free market capitalism, the very essence of which is to buy low and sell high. I don't recall making any promise not to sell the knife when I ordered mine, but if/when I ever do decide to sell it, I would certainly want to get as much for it as the market will allow. So, what's the big deal? ::shrug:: In all my years of knife collecting, I have learned that flipping is simply one aspect of "the game" that you just have to learn to accept. Enough with the "sour grapes" already :x. And, BTW, for the record, he's not the only flipper with an AAPK store---if we boycott every seller who's trying to make a profit, there really wouldn't be much incentive for anyone to sell any knives at all---so, it's disingenuous to single him out as a scapegoat.

Another way to look at it is he provided an opportunity to someone who wanted one, but, for whatever reason, didn't get one. Perhaps because they chose not to support AAPK with a premium membership (in which case they should pay more for a club knife from a club they chose not to support), or perhaps they didn't check their emails at the right time (in which case, as the saying goes: you snooze, you lose. This same principle also applies to those members who were negligent and let their premium membership lapse when it was time to renew it).
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Maybe somebody bought the knife from the AAPK Store to donate it to the Monthly Giveaway in 2022 and it was a genuine act of kindness ::shrug::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Rustle47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rustle47 »

Sorry to hear about a flipper, hopefully he had good intentions. Good pics of the new knife have been posted. I'm finally posting a pic of my knife. Since I was already taking halloween photos, there may be a spider or two with the barlow.
NegCollege-6.jpg
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rustle47 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 pm Sorry to hear about a flipper, hopefully he had good intentions. Good pics of the new knife have been posted. I'm finally posting a pic of my knife. Since I was already taking halloween photos, there may be a spider or two with the barlow.NegCollege-6.jpg
Good photo, very creative. ::tu:: ::tu:: :) Glad you managed to snag one, they are fantastic looking knives. ::nod::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:56 pm Well, us "genuine collectors" may not appreciate the practice of "flipping" (although usually only when it involves a knife we really want), but at least he's honest about what he's doing since he does admit to being an "obsolete collector for the past 2 or 3 years" which I interpret to mean he's now just a flipper, i.e., buying knives with no intention of keeping/collecting them but rather to re-sell for profit. There's absolutely nothing wrong or unethical about doing that if you believe in free market capitalism, the very essence of which is to buy low and sell high. I don't recall making any promise not to sell the knife when I ordered mine, but if/when I ever do decide to sell it, I would certainly want to get as much for it as the market will allow. So, what's the big deal? ::shrug:: In all my years of knife collecting, I have learned that flipping is simply one aspect of "the game" that you just have to learn to accept. Enough with the "sour grapes" already :x. And, BTW, for the record, he's not the only flipper with an AAPK store---if we boycott every seller who's trying to make a profit, there really wouldn't be much incentive for anyone to sell any knives at all---so, it's disingenuous to single him out as a scapegoat.

Another way to look at it is he provided an opportunity to someone who wanted one, but, for whatever reason, didn't get one. Perhaps because they chose not to support AAPK with a premium membership (in which case they should pay more for a club knife from a club they chose not to support), or perhaps they didn't check their emails at the right time (in which case, as the saying goes: you snooze, you lose. This same principle also applies to those members who were negligent and let their premium membership lapse when it was time to renew it).
I agree with what you say about the free market.
But when it's such a small run for a specific club knife it's chickens**t to get one only to immediately resell for twice the amount.
BTW I got one.
David
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

edge213 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 pm ...when it's such a small run for a specific club knife it's chickens**t to get one only to immediately resell for twice the amount.
I honestly do not understand why you consider that to be "chickens**t" (your term, not mine). I am not an economics expert by any stretch, but it seems to me that under free market capitalism when a seller finds a commodity for which there is a high demand and a limited supply with a guaranteed profit potential, he is considered a genius for "getting in early" (imagine how many people wish they had purchased shares of Amazon, Google or Apple when they first hit the market? If I played the stock market "game", I sure would.) How is doing this very same thing with knives instead of stocks any different? :?

~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:55 pm
edge213 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 pm ...when it's such a small run for a specific club knife it's chickens**t to get one only to immediately resell for twice the amount.
I honestly do not understand why you consider that to be "chickens**t" (your term, not mine). I am not an economics expert by any stretch, but it seems to me that under free market capitalism when a seller finds a commodity for which there is a high demand and a limited supply with a guaranteed profit potential, he is considered a genius for "getting in early" (imagine how many people wish they had purchased shares of Amazon, Google or Apple when they first hit the market? If I played the stock market "game", I sure would.) How is doing this very same thing with knives instead of stocks any different? :?
You apparently don't understand the difference between the two.
There is no sense in me wasting my time trying to explain it to you.
I'm done with this subject before it gets out of hand.
David
Faded

Post by Faded »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:56 pm Well, us "genuine collectors" may not appreciate the practice of "flipping" (although usually only when it involves a knife we really want), but at least he's honest about what he's doing since he does admit to being an "obsolete collector for the past 2 or 3 years" which I interpret to mean he's now just a flipper, i.e., buying knives with no intention of keeping/collecting them but rather to re-sell for profit. There's absolutely nothing wrong or unethical about doing that if you believe in free market capitalism, the very essence of which is to buy low and sell high. I don't recall making any promise not to sell the knife when I ordered mine, but if/when I ever do decide to sell it, I would certainly want to get as much for it as the market will allow. So, what's the big deal? ::shrug:: In all my years of knife collecting, I have learned that flipping is simply one aspect of "the game" that you just have to learn to accept. Enough with the "sour grapes" already :x. And, BTW, for the record, he's not the only flipper with an AAPK store---if we boycott every seller who's trying to make a profit, there really wouldn't be much incentive for anyone to sell any knives at all---so, it's disingenuous to single him out as a scapegoat.

This isn’t the only hobby I’ve ever dabbled in where the free market came into play. The same concerns are always voiced. As you alluded to, the game is the game. Doesn’t matter if it’s Beanie Babies, medical services, concert tickets, toilet paper, or heroin. It’s the American way (for those of us living here) and we have to live accordingly.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

Yes this is the great USA free market make what you can when you can buy low sell high but to flip the knife as a member on AAPK is wrong. If the knife was flipped on eBay it probably wouldn't bother me as much, he had no problem not hiding it, to me that's a slap in the face. I'm sorry there're a lot of members still wanting this knife at a fair price.
Frank

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

texoma wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:42 pm Yes this is the great USA free market make what you can when you can buy low sell high but to flip the knife as a member on AAPK is wrong. If the knife was flipped on eBay it probably wouldn't bother me as much, he had no problem not hiding it, to me that's a slap in the face. I'm sorry there're a lot of members still wanting this knife at a fair price.
👍👍
John 🎃
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone about this, just trying to understand exactly why one AAPK seller is being vilified for doing the very same thing as many other AAPK sellers. I honestly don't get it. ::shrug::

For the record, let me be very clear: I DO NOT LIKE THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF "FLIPPING" KNIVES, especially for the ridiculous mark-up prices we constantly see on popular GEC patterns. I don't/won't do it myself and I never have; however, I don't think it's inherently "wrong" for someone to flip a knife that they legitimately bought and own--after all, it's their knife to do with as they so choose. And, with the possible exception of the degree/amount of mark-up, flipping is really not all that different from what dealers do all the time, that's how they make their living: buying wholesale, marking the price up and selling retail. Is that wrong? Flipping an AAPK club knife in an AAPK store may seem inconsiderate to fellow AAPK members, perhaps, but it's not necessarily "wrong" IMO. If you don't like the flipper's asking price, make him an offer, or simply don't buy it. Common sense dictates that the reason flippers get the astronomical prices they do is because someone is willing to pay it.
texoma wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:42 pm to flip the knife as a member on AAPK is wrong. If the knife was flipped on eBay it probably wouldn't bother me as much, he had no problem not hiding it, to me that's a slap in the face. I'm sorry there're a lot of members still wanting this knife at a fair price.
Respectfully, texoma, your logic makes absolutely no sense to me. Obviously, we all want to buy knives for a "fair price". But, surely you'll agree that what is considered a "fair price" to one person may seem outrageously high to another or amazingly low to someone else. Value is not a universal constant, especially for collectibles. It is highly subjective and varies according to each individual's desire to own the item coupled with their financial resources. Furthermore, I feel you have it backwards: Consider the fact that at least he offered it here on AAPK--where an AAPK member is more likely to find and purchase it--as opposed to eBay where fewer AAPK members would see it and/or have a shot at getting it. As far as I'm concerned, selling it on eBay would have been the real "slap in the face" to AAPK and the members who would still like to buy the knife (as apparently someone already has---so, one can assume that to that buyer, anyway, the price must have been fair enough). And why should the seller hide the fact that he's flipping it? Should he be ashamed of making it available to AAPK members instead of the entire world on eBay? I guess I just don't understand your logic with that argument. :?

I think the real issue here is that more than 107 knives should have been ordered because clearly that wasn't enough to satisfy the obvious demand. Personally, I am more curious how/why that particular number (107) was chosen...and I suppose only Bryan can answer that. Is 107 the same quantity as previous AAPK club knives? Perhaps I wasn't paying attention on the previous drops, but I don't recall ever reading about this being such an issue before with other club knives.

Instead of whining and moaning about something that's been going on for a long time and isn't likely to ever change (even by boycotting one particular flipper), it would be more productive to come up with possible solutions to avoid this unfortunate type of scenario in the future.

For example: What if there was a pre-order sign-up...with payment due in advance. That way Bryan would know exactly how many knives to order (assuming that is even something within his control) and everyone who wanted one would get one. Of course, even that wouldn't stop the flippers from trying to make a profit by flipping, but at least they wouldn't raise the ire of the members who wanted one but couldn't get one because there weren't enough knives available.

Any other ideas?

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 am
I think the real issue here is that more than 107 knives should have been ordered because clearly that wasn't enough to satisfy the obvious demand. Personally, I am more curious how/why that particular number (107) was chosen...and I suppose only Bryan can answer that. Is 107 the same quantity as previous AAPK club knives? Perhaps I wasn't paying attention on the previous drops, but I don't recall ever reading about this being such an issue before with other club knives.

Any other ideas?
It sucks to be Bryan. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Knife quantities?

The first year, 2009, 200 were made available. If I remember correctly Bryan was on the hook for excess knives for quite a while. first knife was a special factory order manufactured by Canal Street Cutlery.

In 2010 there were two runs of 100 each - 3 7/8″ Trapper Knife – Oiled Interior Ram’s Horn Handles and 3 7/8″ Trapper Knife – Genuine Burnt Stag Handles

In 2011 & 2012, both years was a run of 100 knives each year. Again, they didn't fall off the shelves

Soooo

Then in 2013 - 2015 in an attempt to not get caught with excess there were only 50 made each year. Hunting and pecking, trying to find that sweet spot where just enough were made to satisfy demand but not so many he ended up with surplus. Kind of like Goldie Locks trying the beds.

In 2016 there were two runs again with different handles on each - 3 7/8″ Antique Autumn Jigged Bone Stallion Jack qty 56 and 3 7/8″ Antique Green Jigged Bone Stallion Jack qty 59

2017 & 2018 a run of 100 each year

2019 & 2020 I believe were 103 each year.

All of this information is on the forum front page. Bryan works really hard at trying to please everyone but of course, that's not possible. I think, if I were Bryan, I might consider running a sign up like Blade Forum where individuals could order and pay, then the knives would be made. ::shrug:: But of course I'm not Bryan nor do I want to be.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Hey, at least we can all be grateful that each member was limited to purchasing only one knife. Because as we've all seen with other GEC releases, some flippers (including some AAPK members I could name, but won't) somehow manage to scoop up multiple knives and immediately list them on eBay (and also in AAPK stores) for as much as two or three times the original retail price while the rest of us are left with nothing but an empty cart five seconds after the drop began. ::disgust::

~Q~
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

no sense ::uc:: , I would rather not know which member sold the knife, that's why I said eBay, like I said it's a slap in the face to this community.
I've sold knives for a profit and bought high, flipping is one thing my main issue is he doesn't care about AAPK or it's members.
I'm done beating a dead horse
Frank

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

(Mr. Charlton Heston's 20 May 2000 response to than Vice President Al Gore)

""I'll give you my gun and my AAPK Club Knives when you take them from my cold, dead hands"

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”