Philosophical knife question.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Maddogfl

Re: Philosophical knife question.

Post by Maddogfl »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 pm "Suppose that you are about to get on a spaceship to explore an unknown planet. You have to travel light"...and at light speed :wink:

So, I would have to take a Lon Humphrey Custom Knives Death Wind Fixed Blade Knife and My large stag trapper Bulldog just because it is so beautiful I could spend them space years travelling along admiring it.
That is fair enough! Besides that, it may really impress some outworldly honey!

That is a nice blade.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Maddogfl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:00 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 pm "Suppose that you are about to get on a spaceship to explore an unknown planet. You have to travel light"...and at light speed :wink:

So, I would have to take a Lon Humphrey Custom Knives Death Wind Fixed Blade Knife and My large stag trapper Bulldog just because it is so beautiful I could spend them space years travelling along admiring it.
::hmm:: Maybe the race of hot green ladies the Orion (in Star Trek episodes "The Cage" and "The Menagerie" and "Whom Gods Destroy"). Are out there somewhere beyond our solar system... ::hmm:: waiting to meet some Earthling with a couple of really cool knives... :roll: one can only hope ::ds::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 am

Tho

::hmm:: Maybe the race of hot green ladies the Orion (in Star Trek episodes "The Cage" and "The Menagerie" and "Whom Gods Destroy"). Are out there somewhere beyond our solar system... ::hmm:: waiting to meet some Earthling with a couple of really cool knives... :roll: one can only hope ::ds::
Those were exactly the ones I had in mind, I just don't have the memory to recall the episodes. But, hey, if Kirk could score with them, then anyone with a pretty knife should be able to.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I think I could get by with the following ...
ont.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 pm
rea1eye wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 am I would carry a knife like this:

https://www.yankodesign.com/2021/02/06/ ... -the-moon/

Bob
I wasn't aware of such a knife. Were they prepared to hack their way through the jungle on the Moon?
Back in the early 1960s, prior to the early space capsule flights, NASA issued a specification and solicited proposals for a manned space flight survival knife. Several cutleries submitted sample knives for NASA consideration. W.R. Case & Sons submitted a sample, won the contract, and supplied the required number of knives to NASA. At the time these “space flights” were not intended to go to the moon - they went into space and returned after making a few revolutions around the earth. One of these knives was carried on every Gemini and Apollo manned space capsule flight. The purpose was not to “hack their way through the jungle on the moon” but rather to deal with any potential survival situation should the capsule crash land somewhere unintended upon return to the earth. However when all was said and done one of those Case “Astronaut Survival Knives” went to the moon and back a total of 9 times on Apollo flights.

In 1966 Case released a limited edition of a slightly modified, framed commemorative version of the same knife for sale to the public. In the early 1970’s I stumbled onto a store, a Case retailer, that had one of the framed knives on the wall behind the counter. I inquired about it and was told they had three of them and if I wanted I could buy one. The retail price was $75 IIRC. I bought all three of them for $165 plus tax. The following Saturday I sold one of them for $150. I still have the other two, in the original framed shadow boxes complete with the original pamphlet, etc.

Ken

Great info and story on that astronaut knives. Loooooooooove to see some pics of those babies. Congrats on spotting a score that you could watch appreciate in value too. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Everyone knows you don't bring a knife to a ray gun fight...

146-1464642_ray-gun-png-transparent-ray-gun-png-png.png
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:06 pm Everyone knows you don't bring a knife to a ray gun fight...

LOL! ::rotflol:: Good one TFL! ::tu:: 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm
In 1966 Case released a limited edition of a slightly modified, framed commemorative version of the same knife for sale to the public. In the early 1970’s I stumbled onto a store, a Case retailer, that had one of the framed knives on the wall behind the counter. I inquired about it and was told they had three of them and if I wanted I could buy one. The retail price was $75 IIRC. I bought all three of them for $165 plus tax. The following Saturday I sold one of them for $150. I still have the other two, in the original framed shadow boxes complete with the original pamphlet, etc.

Ken

Great info and story on that astronaut knives. Loooooooooove to see some pics of those babies. Congrats on spotting a score that you could watch appreciate in value too. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
Here ya go. ::tu:: A couple of interesting things I remember from the day I bought them. As I said previously the dealer had one mounted on the wall (along with several other things). When I asked if it was for sale he said yes. He said they had three of them and they had been using the one on the wall for a paper cutter, so it wasn’t as sharp as it used to be. He also said despite it being displayed on the wall for several years he couldn’t recall anyone else ever asking about it.

I asked if I could look at it, so he took it down from the wall, opened it (the plexiglass slides up from the bottom), unscrewed it from the mount and handed it to me. I looked it over and tested the edge with my thumb - it felt really sharp. I tested it on the hair on my arm. It shaved, the hair flying off with no drag whatsoever! ::woot:: So I asked to see the others, then made an offer for all three. He said he’d have to ask the manager. A few minutes later I was walking out with all three of them. ::groove::

Ken
Attachments
87C52AF7-5B4A-40E3-9AA8-C4CB21CFD11E.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:04 am
Ivoryman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Ken

Here ya go. ::tu:: A couple of interesting things I remember from the day I bought them. As I said previously the dealer had one mounted on the wall (along with several other things). When I asked if it was for sale he said yes. He said they had three of them and they had been using the one on the wall for a paper cutter, so it wasn’t as sharp as it used to be. He also said despite it being displayed on the wall for several years he couldn’t recall anyone else ever asking about it.

I asked if I could look at it, so he took it down from the wall, opened it (the plexiglass slides up from the bottom), unscrewed it from the mount and handed it to me. I looked it over and tested the edge with my thumb - it felt really sharp. I tested it on the hair on my arm. It shaved, the hair flying off with no drag whatsoever! ::woot:: So I asked to see the others, then made an offer for all three. He said he’d have to ask the manager. A few minutes later I was walking out with all three of them. ::groove::

Ken

Ahhhhhh, the story's getting even better. Way to go. Great score and riveting read.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:06 pm Everyone knows you don't bring a knife to a ray gun fight...

But wait! Raygun has been dead for years.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Maddogfl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 am
Those were exactly the ones I had in mind, I just don't have the memory to recall the episodes. But, hey, if Kirk could score with them, then anyone with a pretty knife should be able to.
Hmmm ::hmm:: I think I am going to change my outer space carry (OSC) to these lill' babies instead... ::paranoid:: if you see where I am going with that... ::paranoid::
Attachments
DSCF4102.JPG
DSCF4090.JPG
DSCF5407.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

::paranoid:: I think Sean Connery said that in "Outland" ( 1981 ) ::paranoid::

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:08 pm

::paranoid:: I think Sean Connery said that in "Outland" ( 1981 ) ::paranoid::
Well, he said something sort of similar in The Untouchables...

That hitman did have a very nice 11" or 13" stiletto...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 pm Hmmm ::hmm:: I think I am going to change my outer space carry (OSC) to these lill' babies instead... ::paranoid:: if you see where I am going with that... ::paranoid::

Like the look of that fixed, the aiGear Strongarm. Actually have been looking at them and considering, just saw you had one posted. How do you like it? Good grip with that handle material? Pommel any good? Balanced? Thanks for any review or comments you may have on them.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:02 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 pm
Like the look of that fixed, the aiGear Strongarm. Actually have been looking at them and considering, just saw you had one posted. How do you like it? Good grip with that handle material? Pommel any good? Balanced? Thanks for any review or comments you may have on them.
I-man, I have a bunch of fixed blade tactical and bush-craft knives. The StrongArm in my opinion, is one of the best values for the money in both of these categories. It fits my hand great, the size is perfect being not too heavy and still large enough to be a very useable fixed blade. It has a good grip and non-slip handle material. Very strong pommel. As for balance it might be just a little pommel heavy for some users, but for me it is fine. I agree that "The StrongArm is a versatile tool for both tactical and bush-craft needs. It holds up to the stress you put it through and you always have a knife you can depend on. I use it on my backpack and it is always ready when needed. It can withstand heavy beating and still present a sharp edge."

Features:

Blade Material: 420 high carbon w/ Cerakote® coating
Glass filled nylon substrate
Diamond-texture rubberized handle
Full tang
Spike pommel w/ lanyard hole

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:19 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:02 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 pm
I-man, I have a bunch of fixed blade tactical and bush-craft knives. The StrongArm in my opinion, is one of the best values for the money in both of these categories. It fits my hand great, the size is perfect being not too heavy and still large enough to be a very useable fixed blade. It has a good grip and non-slip handle material. Very strong pommel. As for balance it might be just a little pommel heavy for some users, but for me it is fine. I agree that "The StrongArm is a versatile tool for both tactical and bush-craft needs. It holds up to the stress you put it through and you always have a knife you can depend on. I use it on my backpack and it is always ready when needed. It can withstand heavy beating and still present a sharp edge."

Features:

Blade Material: 420 high carbon w/ Cerakote® coating
Glass filled nylon substrate
Diamond-texture rubberized handle
Full tang
Spike pommel w/ lanyard hole
Hey thanks a ton, that was a great informative review and might have tipped me over the edge. Just found a new one previously owned but not used for fifty five clams and seems like it would be worth at least that. Many thanks for the comments. Very helpful. All the best to you and yours.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:35 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Hey thanks a ton, that was a great informative review and might have tipped me over the edge. Just found a new one previously owned but not used for fifty five clams and seems like it would be worth at least that. Many thanks for the comments. Very helpful. All the best to you and yours.

You are welcome ::handshake:: $55? That sounds fair ::hmm:: I paid $40 for a well used one with no sheath a while back.

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Great find Ken!

Are they low serial numbered?
AAPK Janitor

Return to “General Knife Discussion”