Flawed Mfg. Bone Handles. Post your "Flawed Knives"

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Flawed Mfg. Bone Handles. Post your "Flawed Knives"

Post by Old Folder »

I have had the below pictured Scout Knife for many years and have wondered about the center pin rivet error. As you can see, the pin tooling spin was double spun on both sides by mistake. It was not drilled all the way through and I assume it was not done by a computerized machine due to the knife's age.
Those of you that make and or repair knives (I do not) can most likely relate to this knife handle error.
IMG_0022 (2).JPG
IMG_0020 (2).JPG
As I was thumbing through some of my older "Knife World" magazines, (Currently called "Knife Magazine") I stumbled upon the below article located on page #2 of the June 2006 issue.
I have never seen a knife with the bone jigged in the wrong direction, if I had one though it would most certainly be a "keeper".
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
Do you have a manufactured flawed knife that escaped "Quality Control" you would like to share?
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Flawed Mfg. Bone Handles. Post your "Flawed Knives"

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I can say that I have 3 that would fall into that category.
#1. Kabar muskrat that one bolster was missed when it came time to finish and sand flush. When I bought this knife, I thought I would finish it off, but I haven't yet.
IMG_1956.JPG
#2. Bear & Son stockman that the back of the sheepsfoot blade did not get finished. Rough, just like it dropped from the stamp die.
IMG_1702.JPG
#3. Another Bear & Son stockman, rosewood handles are cracked thru the rocker pin holes on BOTH sides.
IMG_1700.JPG
Hey, what can you say, stuff happens!!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I hope you don't mind. I "adjusted" your picture.
IMG_0002%20(2).JPG
This Winchester Peanut made it out of the (Camillus?) factory with the shield askew.
DSC03242.JPG
This old Bulldog Doc had a little trouble with it's tang stamp.
Bulldog--4.jpg
Things just get bleary and confusing at closing time.
I reckon these were from Camillus end of days.

Unfinished
Camillus 72 - '89 to Close, Yellow - Unfinished Labeled.JPG
A Yello-Jaket with a 22LR6 pattern stamp
Camillus 72 Yellow - 22LR6 Main Blade- 1997 Labeled with Tang Stamp insert.JPG
And a Camillus 72 with a Stanley SL6 pattern stamp
^Camillus 72 - 2000s swapped secondary blades - Combined Tang & Pattern.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

This 34OT must have escaped the hafting room, it is complete and functional, but the springs were never ground down...

34ot1.JPG
34ot3.JPG
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I hope you don't mind. I "adjusted" your picture.

Thanks for the picture correction Jerry. ::nod::
Dan
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have a green/yellow Remington (Camillus) 2 blade knife -- Turkish clip, and long spear - model 950x (forget last number) where the backsprings, edge of liners, etc were not ground flush or polished. Still a good carrying knife. Just hard to see how that got my quality control.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I have a couple factory-flawed knives only one had such damage to the bone that I managed to use it as leverage to get a better price than the seller was asking. It is perfectly functional and remains in my user pile (I have a "clean" safe queen version, too).
24656160660_24861f484a_k.jpg
24321058644_9c9c7fd7f8_k.jpg
Center pin, both sides. This knife was made in 1989 so apparently cutlers still hadn't perfected the technology yet. :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

These pictures of factory flaws remind me of years ago they always said it was not a good idea to buy a new car that came off the assembly line on a Monday or a Friday. This would be before the days when robots did a lot of the boring jobs that they do now. Some of these could also be first day on the job? I think I"ll leave that lump on the bolster of my Kabar muskrat just for show.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It seems like I may have a few knives with such issues. Then again I may not, usually those ones get moved along.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have a few,"flawed" knives that are a mystery as to how they managed to escape. The Case scout-utility was obviously a reject:the stamp was ground off as was the shield;the bolsters were center punched and the bail cut off.The back springs are not ground and a couple of the blades require a pair of pliers to open.
The Camillus has similar problems.
The Colonial is one that totally baffles me:It was apparently given away as a promotional piece.The finish is horrible;the action of the blades as bad and the overall finish I have seen better on cheap Pakistani knives. Amazing that they stayed in business after giving something like that away.
Attachments
Case640045R reject 001.jpg
Case640045R reject 003.jpg
Case640045R reject 005.jpg
Case640045R reject 007.jpg
Case640045R reject 008.jpg
CamillusSecond1.jpg
CamillusSecond5.jpg
CamillusSecond6.jpg
CamillusSecond7.jpg
ColonialSecond.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I realized that I had 2 more that would fall under "flawed" knives, although Schrade apparently knew about these two. Both of these, 77 OT muskrat and 94 OT trapper have XX stamped over the factory tang stamps. This was apparently to signify that these two were seconds or rejects. Upon close inspection, it would appear that they were rejected because that when opened, the back of the blade does not align with the back of the spring. There is a sharp corner there on both that is unsightly and rough to the touch. Perfectly good for EDC though. I picked these two up for $10 each, like new.
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'd say this wasn't planned or was it.
Attachments
Ulster misspelled (1).JPG
Ulster misspelled (2).JPG
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

wlf wrote:I'd say this wasn't planned or was it.
Reminds me of some of the tattoos that people get today!!
Outsidedogss

Post by Outsidedogss »

I own a Case 61549L. Manufacture Date was January 13, 2000. Coincidentally, that was my 47th birthday. The handle was called "Rogers Bone". It could be disputed based upon the Bernard Levine article in Knife World (c) 1987, but there are two other issues I have with this "Copperlock" (c).

First, the tang stamp cannot be fully viewed for authentication. Steve Phieffer's "Collecting Case Knives" (c) 2009, identified a design change (c. 1979) to round the top bolster, They also changed the tang stamp in the year 2000. But one may need to disassemble the knife blade to verify. I cannot see the left-most "X" on the tang stamp.

The second issue is my "rose-colored" glasses. All these years later, I found the flawed blade, a crack on the upper side of the blade just before the clip (see photo).
Crack in Blade
Crack in Blade
Attachments
No visibility of bottom tow of X's and Dots.
No visibility of bottom tow of X's and Dots.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Outsidedogss wrote:
First, the tang stamp cannot be fully viewed for authentication. Steve Phieffer's "Collecting Case Knives" (c) 2009, identified a design change (c. 1979) to round the top bolster, They also changed the tang stamp in the year 2000. But one may need to disassemble the knife blade to verify. I cannot see the left-most "X" on the tang stamp.

The second issue is my "rose-colored" glasses. All these years later, I found the flawed blade, a crack on the upper side of the blade just before the clip (see photo).

DSC_0016_LI (2).jpg
::hmm:: I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I wouldn't call the "tang stamp cannot be fully viewed" to be a flaw. After all the knife was made ostensibly as a tool, not an item to be examined for date code. The Copperlock is far from the only pattern that has part of the tang stamp hidden from view by the bolster - in fact most patterns having an "extended" bolster exhibit the same characteristic. We collectors are the ones that made the date code a big deal.

As for the crack on the blade, since you have the knife in hand you'll know best about that. However from the picture it doesn't look any different than the edge of the swedge, or "false edge" that is ground on the master blade on all Copperlocks. Here's a close up picture of the same blade on another Copperlock.

Don't know if that helps you feel any better about it or not. ::shrug:: But welcome to AAPK! ::handshake::

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (7 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Outsidedogss wrote:I own a Case 61549L. Manufacture Date was January 13, 2000. Coincidentally, that was my 47th birthday. The handle was called "Rogers Bone". It could be disputed based upon the Bernard Levine article in Knife World (c) 1987, but there are two other issues I have with this "Copperlock" (c).

DSC_0016_LI (2).jpg
As far as posted knife, blade crack very odd. Never seen one on a CASE knife. Obviously it happens as your knife shows. That said, I believe you may be confusing the Copperhead and the Copperlock. Your nice knife is a Copperlock, first produced in 1996 if I recall correctly. Copperhead although similar is a different animal as far as years of manufacture.

I have one to add to this topic. I have a CASE 52 pattern 4 blade Congress totally mint and never sharpened from the factory.

Jerry
Attachments
214FCD24-9A8B-46AB-821F-F7C741CF6D51.jpeg
4CE6C268-0955-45E5-866C-4606CBF6432F.jpeg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I have this buck 313 that was shipped with an un-sharpened main blade. It's as dull as a butter knife.
Bruce
Attachments
buck 313.JPG
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

My "Double Stamped" Cattarougus stag fixed blade with sheath.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
Dan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

This old Voos jack was given some amateur "fluting" high on the bone (which otherwise has a remarkably crisp Rogers-style jigging) by a previous owner. It's not haphazard or crooked, however, so it doesn't significantly detract from the aesthetics of the bone. Judging by the wear on the grooves, they were added to the knife a while back and have become part of its history by now. This knife went into my user pile immediately and it's one of my favorites. The knife is so solid that I didn't even notice the end pin crack until I zoomed in on the pic. :lol:
Attachments
27398661627_84434fe685_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “General Knife Discussion”