Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks Mark. I have heard it called an Axis lock as well. I’m not normally drawn to tactical knives, I’m very much a traditional knife guy, but this one has drawn me in for a very long time. Having handled one so many years ago didn’t help with the obsession. It just feels right in hand. The blade is way too big for most of the tasks I use a knife for but it fits this knife well.
Axis lock is Benchmade, they are similar.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Marco, I know my knives are not patterns of major interest to you, but I long ago saw that you appreciated quality in whatever form it took.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:48 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks Mark. I have heard it called an Axis lock as well. I’m not normally drawn to tactical knives, I’m very much a traditional knife guy, but this one has drawn me in for a very long time. Having handled one so many years ago didn’t help with the obsession. It just feels right in hand. The blade is way too big for most of the tasks I use a knife for but it fits this knife well.
Would you know if the Axis-Lock is patented to Benchmade, David? Thx!
8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:24 pm
8)
I believe the Axis name is trademarked by Benchmade and Arc by SOG. I don't know about patents.
David
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you for your kind words, Garry, even though our tastes differ I can always be sure you will show us a quality product along with valuable detailed information regarding the knife, so reading and viewing your posts is always a pleasure for me, regardless of the knife being posted.
I know that most of the knives I post are not your style either, yet you never fail to post positive comments about them, and aren't afraid to ask me questions should you be unsure of something.
Occasionally our different tastes match-up, an example being your Queen/Winterbottom melon tester, and my OMOR/stag melon tester that we're both fond of.
Mister Rogers asks "Can you say, mutual respect"! lol!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you, David, that's actually what I meant, trademarked, and I wasn't aware of SOG's for their "Arc-lock", so thank you there as well.
8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a very well expressed and thoughtful post, Marco. All of us should be so fortunate as to be as "Mad" as you.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

::handshake::
edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:41 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:24 pm

8)
I believe the Axis name is trademarked by Benchmade and Arc by SOG. I don't know about patents.
David
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:48 pm That is a very well expressed and thoughtful post, Marco. All of us should be so fortunate as to be as "Mad" as you.
::rotflol:: !
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I liked the way this one looks so I bid on it and won, but there is no information about it other than it's an 8" oal lockback, it's made in Japan prior to 1960, it has micarta covers and NS and brass hardware, and it's missing the swinguard as confirmed by the hole in the tang. It has "FLASHER" etched on the front blade too.
Any further information is appreciated!
8)
WIN_20230601_20_15_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230601_20_14_56_Pro.jpg
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I fished this one out of the 'Bay for a great price, and it arrived in the mail today.
It is a Camillus Sword brand timber scribe, about 3-1/8" long.
I had never heard of one before joining AAPK, but they looked so unique and appealing that I have been really, really wanting one for a while.
This one looks to have been cleaned just a little bit with a very fine grit sandpaper, but not enough to really hurt it.
I am very happy with it!
Attachments
IMG_7396.jpeg
IMG_7400.jpeg
IMG_7398.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Reverand wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:30 am I fished this one out of the 'Bay for a great price, and it arrived in the mail today.
I had never heard of one before joining AAPK, but they looked so unique and appealing that I have been really, really wanting one for a while.
This one looks to have been cleaned just a little bit with a very fine grit sandpaper, but not enough to really hurt it.
I am very happy with it!
Great pick up!! Great stamp as well! :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Reverand wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:30 am I fished this one out of the 'Bay for a great price, and it arrived in the mail today.
I am very happy with it!
Congrats Rev, I have grown to love those as well. I had a favorite great uncle in Arkansas who was a timber grader and circuit preacher. So they hold a special interest to me.
tomasf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by tomasf »

My recent mail call - Queen Burnt Bone Big Boy Trapper
Attachments
QC_01m.jpg
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Good looking knife there, Marco, and that’s a cool find, Reverand! Good looking handle on that one tomasf!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I just recently was involved in a scribe discussion regarding a different scribe post, Rev, and since I too knew nothing about them all the info I got was an education. I was informed they're also referred to as a "rase" knife. ::hmm::
Congratulations on receiving a piece you've been seeking! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you much, Tim, I'm hoping to read more information about it since so far it's a mystery to me who made it. ::shrug::
8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:20 pm Thank you much, Tim, I'm hoping to read more information about it since so far it's a mystery to me who made it. ::shrug::
8)
It's marked CAMILLUS on the blade tang.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for the help, Jerry, but we were talking about the "FLASHER" lockback that I posted above the scribe the Rev posted, not about the scribe knife.
I certainly see how it could be confusing since the conversation overlaps in places!
No harm no foul!
8)
8)
robpa

Post by robpa »

Nice Queen Tom, never sawthat jigging before.
Picked up the Queen swingrt and the Schat mt. man at the GEC meet this AM. Never even made it inside the building! Met a couple AAPK members as well.
Attachments
DSCN0989.JPG
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

robpa wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:37 pm Nice Queen Tom, never sawthat jigging before.
Picked up the Queen swingrt and the Schat mt. man at the GEC meet this AM. Never even made it inside the building! Met a couple AAPK members as well.
Beauties. Love the Amber stag bone and the MMan pattern. Nice scores.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:14 pm Thanks for the help, Jerry, but we were talking about the "FLASHER" lockback that I posted above the scribe the Rev posted, not about the scribe knife.
I certainly see how it could be confusing since the conversation overlaps in places!
No harm no foul!
8)
My apologies. I thought y'all were talking about Reverand's Scribe. My bad.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

This poor boy arrived by mail yesterday. Did not have space in my storage chest, so I decided to make a knife plaque to display this Case Folding Hunter with pocket worn harvest orange bone covers. The bride did not say a word after I pointed out the manufacturer date that matched her birthday (month and day) !
Attachments
IMG_5102.jpeg
IMG_5101.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:21 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:14 pm Thanks for the help, Jerry, but we were talking about the "FLASHER" lockback that I posted above the scribe the Rev posted, not about the scribe knife.
No harm no foul!
8)
My apologies. I thought y'all were talking about Reverand's Scribe. My bad.
Like I said, easy to do with all the overlapping conversations, not your bad at all! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:39 pm Yesterday I received my latest Henckles from Sharpnshiny Knives. While I already have several Congress pattern knives from Henckles this is the first with "Waterfall" bolsters. The German Silver bolsters were polished to within an inch of their lives. All blades have half-stops and are well-centered with tight runups. Sweet-sounding walk and talk.

For those unfamiliar with the brand I usually mention that current Henckles pocket knives are made by Boker but with the stipulation that Boker use higher standards of material and workmanship than for their own Boker knives. And Boker already has good standards.

I consider the brand high value in that you receive a lot of quality at a reasonable price.

P1040931.JPGP1040932.JPGP1040930.JPG

B-U-T-fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul. Gorgeous knife, congrats. Yeah, great bolsters for sure, and the German steel is supposed to be great and hold and edge longer. Good score. ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”