Proper Knife Storage

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Proper Knife Storage

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

::hmm:: I am sure there are better ways to store a knife than in a bucket full of water with a bunch tools. My question is; Is there a worse way to store a knife? ::skeptic:: ::shrug::

As a side note, ::hmm:: I am thinking about listing this on Flea-Bay... ::hmm:: I guess the condition could be described as "mint or near mint" ::paranoid::
Attachments
DSCF1237.JPG
DSCF1238.JPG
DSCF1239.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
robpa

Re: Proper Knife Storage

Post by robpa »

looks like a lot of old collectibles at some auctions Ive been to. hope ya didnt get too ddep on em!
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

A coworker and I were given a carpentry job. The company did not own a circular saw, and I wanted to go buy one for the job. We had a boss who was a tremendous pain in the neck, and he had a circular saw. It wasn't just any saw, it was the best saw in the galaxy. We'd just use his saw for the job, and we had to promise faithfully that we wouldn't destroy his saw.

I had a really bad feeling about this.

We were presented with the saw without equal. To me it looked like a run of the mill Craftsman saw, but what the heck do I know? We got the job done, and the guy I was working with tossed the highly prized saw into a bucket and we moved on to whatever was next.

It started raining. No big deal, but the guy had parked his truck under the eave of a building in such a way that the roof drained right into the bucket holding the sacred saw. The bucket filled up in a hurry...

The saw survived. We cleaned it up, and it spent several hours in a barely warm oven. We swore each other to secrecy and never volunteered any information on the subject.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I pulled a big toolbox out of the back of my pickup (which has a topper), only to find that the topper had leaked right onto the toolbox and down inside, where quite a lot of tools had been safe and sound. I managed to save a few things; the tool box was not one of them. I didn't catch the problem for several months, as I rarely used the truck. Now even the truck is gone. Yes; some storage protocols may be better than others.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 am I pulled a big toolbox out of the back of my pickup (which has a topper), only to find that the topper had leaked right onto the toolbox and down inside, where quite a lot of tools had been safe and sound. I managed to save a few things; the tool box was not one of them. I didn't catch the problem for several months, as I rarely used the truck. Now even the truck is gone. Yes; some storage protocols may be better than others.
I had a leak in my garage roof and it ruined a bunch of tools as well ::facepalm:: 😥 I had them in milk crates ::dang::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

robpa wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:40 pm looks like a lot of old collectibles at some auctions Ive been to. hope ya didnt get too ddep on em!
I got the bucket for helping out a buddy... I just wish he had remembered that he had some lids for them buckets ::dang:: and had put the lid on! ::facepalm::

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

dsutton24 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 pm The saw survived. We cleaned it up, and it spent several hours in a barely warm oven. We swore each other to secrecy and never volunteered any information on the subject.
Three rules of borrowing tools:

1) Never admit to anything when something goes wrong with the tool
2) When something goes wrong with the tool, blame your co-worker, friend, son, brother, etc.
3) Slap a coating of grease and grime over affected/broken area, then get someone else, co-worker, friend, son, brother, etc. to return the broken tool

centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

dsutton24 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 pm A coworker and I were given a carpentry job. The company did not own a circular saw, and I wanted to go buy one for the job. We had a boss who was a tremendous pain in the neck, and he had a circular saw. It wasn't just any saw, it was the best saw in the galaxy. We'd just use his saw for the job, and we had to promise faithfully that we wouldn't destroy his saw.

I had a really bad feeling about this.

We were presented with the saw without equal. To me it looked like a run of the mill Craftsman saw, but what the heck do I know? We got the job done, and the guy I was working with tossed the highly prized saw into a bucket and we moved on to whatever was next.

It started raining. No big deal, but the guy had parked his truck under the eave of a building in such a way that the roof drained right into the bucket holding the sacred saw. The bucket filled up in a hurry...

The saw survived. We cleaned it up, and it spent several hours in a barely warm oven. We swore each other to secrecy and never volunteered any information on the subject.
Love this story --I'd venture to say if the boss was a decent fellow, he'd have been told about it and helped clean it back up. But yeah, sometimes best to avoid those conversations with arses!!!
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Here is an update on cleaning up the blade...it took a lot more damage than I thought it had from its "time in the bucket", but there is still some hope to bring it back to life yet... ::paranoid::
Attachments
DSCF1522.JPG
DSCF1523.JPG

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I have oiled it up and the next step is to work on the blade with steel wool/ scotch bright /sandpaper.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I admire your determination, Dog.
I'll bet you bring it right back to life.
When it's finished, it definitely would be interesting to list it on ebay, just to see who would notice any differences between it and any regular used bowie for sale. ::hmm::
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:59 am
dsutton24 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 pm The saw survived. We cleaned it up, and it spent several hours in a barely warm oven. We swore each other to secrecy and never volunteered any information on the subject.
Three rules of borrowing tools:

1) Never admit to anything when something goes wrong with the tool
2) When something goes wrong with the tool, blame your co-worker, friend, son, brother, etc.
3) Slap a coating of grease and grime over affected/broken area, then get someone else, co-worker, friend, son, brother, etc. to return the broken tool
::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: !
Rules to live by!
8)
8)
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

I didn't spot that there were other tools in that.
I honestly thought you'd dug the knife out of a bucket of KFC Barbecue Sauce and old chicken bones!!
WARNING: This forum post contains words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Tasky wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:42 am I didn't spot that there were other tools in that.
I honestly thought you'd dug the knife out of a bucket of KFC Barbecue Sauce and old chicken bones!!
::hmm:: I think KFC Barbecue Sauce and old chicken bones might be worth more in the end! ::paranoid::

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:56 am I admire your determination, Dog.
I'll bet you bring it right back to life.
When it's finished, it definitely would be interesting to list it on ebay, just to see who would notice any differences between it and any regular used bowie for sale. ::hmm::
8)
Marco, ::hmm:: I think I'll have to list it on Flea-bay as "Near-mint" condition... like so many other knives I see for sale on that wonderful site... ::paranoid::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's what I'm saying, Dog!
List it as "Near-mint" and see who knows the difference!
Be good for some laughs anyway!
8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:15 pm That's what I'm saying, Dog!
List it as "Near-mint" and see who knows the difference!
Be good for some laughs anyway!
8)
::paranoid:: if I listed it that way I'll probably get spotted and called out and then posted on AAPK by another member for deceptive eBay listing.... ::skeptic::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Prolly!
8)
8)
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

"for parts or rustoration"
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

SwedgeHead wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:20 pm "for parts or rustoration"
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::

catspa

Post by catspa »

You going to sell this one Rich, or keep it? I’d like to buy it, if the cost of resurrection doesn’t exceed my budget.

Parker
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

catspa wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:48 pm You going to sell this one Rich, or keep it? I’d like to buy it, if the cost of resurrection doesn’t exceed my budget.

Parker
::hmm:: Parker, if I can fully resuscitate it, I will keep you advised :wink:

catspa

Post by catspa »

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Parker
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That first picture reminded me of a bucket of snow crab shells and guts . . . and I'm not even hungry. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Any of you all watch Curse of Oak Island on the History Channel? I would put the whole bucket on ebay and call it bobby dazzlers found metal detecting in the money pit 90 foot deep. Probably dropped by the Knights Templers. Should get some real bids dog!! That show is on its 10th season and that looks like what they find every week.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”