A few of my past knives by way of introduction

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
OldOak

Re: A few of my past knives by way of introduction

Post by OldOak »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:40 pm Your workmanship strikes me as very impressive. May I know how long you have been doing this splendid work?
Thank you, it's nice when people appreciate your work. I started making knives with my own blades around 2000-2001. Before that I made some using blades from some of the Swedish makers and just making and fitting the handles. But I soon wanted to use my own blades. Now I try to do everything as sole author including my own heat treat, although I do buy in corby rivets!
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

rea1eye wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:02 pm Very nice work Ian. Post some pics of folders when you get a chance.

Also welcome to the forum!

Bob
These are a design I've been working on for a while now. Working on the theory that the best knife is the one you have with you, the design idea was to be as easy to carry as possible in any situation. So they had to be quite small, light but strong, smooth to slip into a pocket with nothing to snag, and have a simple takedown construction with a capable cutting blade when it was needed. They aren't trying to be a Buck 110!

So this is how they came out. Blades are 3.2mm rwl34 steel at around 60hrc, only 65-70mm long, deliberately hard to keep an edge, satin finish on the blade and mirror polished spine. The backspring is rwl34 as well, mirror polished inside and out. Spring tension is medium to hard and they have a positive half stop. Scales are titanium (stainless ones in the pipeline as well), and can be colour anodised or plain. Scales are mill relieved and engine turned on the inside (it's hard to see but I know it's there!) The blade runs on an oilite bush 6mm od and 3mm id and the screws are either titanium or stainless.

These are some of them...thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCF2849.JPG
DSCF2858.JPG
DSCF2868.JPG
DSCF2863.JPG
DSCF2791.JPG
DSCF2831.JPG
DSCF2892.JPG
DSCF2905.JPG
DSCF2909.JPG
DSCF2910.JPG
TPK

Post by TPK »

OldOak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:45 pm
rea1eye wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:02 pm Very nice work Ian. Post some pics of folders when you get a chance.

Bob
These are a design I've been working on for a while now. Working on the theory that the best knife is the one you have with you, the design idea was to be as easy to carry as possible in any situation. So they had to be quite small, light but strong, smooth to slip into a pocket with nothing to snag, and have a simple takedown construction with a capable cutting blade when it was needed. They aren't trying to be a Buck 110!

So this is how they came out. Blades are 3.2mm rwl34 steel at around 60hrc, only 65-70mm long, deliberately hard to keep an edge, satin finish on the blade and mirror polished spine. The backspring is rwl34 as well, mirror polished inside and out. Spring tension is medium to hard and they have a positive half stop. Scales are titanium (stainless ones in the pipeline as well), and can be colour anodised or plain. Scales are mill relieved and engine turned on the inside (it's hard to see but I know it's there!) The blade runs on an oilite bush 6mm od and 3mm id and the screws are either titanium or stainless.

You do beautiful work Ian. ::tu:: The fixed blades and these folders both look great! ::tu:: And the sheaths are also very nice looking! ::handshake::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I think this is an exceptionally refined pattern. Meeting your specifications, it seems to succeed in the old architectural norm that form follows function. Eminently practical. Nothing to catch on or wear upon inside a pocket. At the same time they have graceful lines. These are knives of great purity. (Can you tell I like them? :) )
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

TPK wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:06 pm
OldOak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Bob

You do beautiful work Ian. ::tu:: The fixed blades and these folders both look great! ::tu:: And the sheaths are also very nice looking! ::handshake::
Thank you. I like that someone likes my sheaths!! :o
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:23 pm I think this is an exceptionally refined pattern. Meeting your specifications, it seems to succeed in the old architectural norm that form follows function. Eminently practical. Nothing to catch on or wear upon inside a pocket. At the same time they have graceful lines. These are knives of great purity. (Can you tell I like them? :) )
Appreciate your comments a great deal. As I was working on them things changed over several prototypes until I had what I was looking for. To be honest it was a very selfish design, it was what I wanted it to be regardless of any other considerations.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Beautiful knives sir, and sheathes too!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....wish I had your talent and the eyes to do it!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

You are an Artisan Craftsman, just good work, that is all i can say. ::woot:: Looking forward to seeing your folders. Welcome aboard, you will be a valued member with your knife making knowledge. ::handshake::
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

carrmillus wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:07 pm ....wish I had your talent and the eyes to do it!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
Thank you, much appreciated.
cudgee wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:09 pm You are an Artisan Craftsman, just good work, that is all i can say. ::woot:: Looking forward to seeing your folders. Welcome aboard, you will be a valued member with your knife making knowledge. ::handshake::
I try hard but there's always room for improvement, I think all makers feel that way about their work. It's what drives us I think!

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm Beautiful knives sir, and sheathes too!
Cheers, I wish my leatherwork was better, but I sort of wing it! :wink:
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Ian, I can’t add any more adjectives to those already used. Your knives are very impressive. I see touches of Master Hattori in your work and in your folders I see touches of Dew Hara. If you aren’t familiar w/ them, that is a high compliment. If you ever decide to sell any of your creations please let me know.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

Very well done, nice craftsmanship and I do like the sheath belt loop hidden by the handle
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Well thought out knife. Fine craftsmanship!

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

::welcome::
Welcome to AAPK!
You truly are an artist, with both knives and sheaths. I imagine that all who own them love to show them off, too!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

Reverand wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 am ::welcome::
Welcome to AAPK!
You truly are an artist, with both knives and sheaths. I imagine that all who own them love to show them off, too!
Thank you, I also hope most of them get used as well.

rea1eye wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 am Well thought out knife. Fine craftsmanship!

Bob
Cheers, much appreciated.
texoma wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 am Very well done, nice craftsmanship and I do like the sheath belt loop hidden by the handle
Thanks, I think it gives them a 1920's safari kind of style, at least that was my intention.
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:35 am Ian, I can’t add any more adjectives to those already used. Your knives are very impressive. I see touches of Master Hattori in your work and in your folders I see touches of Dew Hara. If you aren’t familiar w/ them, that is a high compliment. If you ever decide to sell any of your creations please let me know.
Praise indeed thank you, I doubt I will ever reach their standards!

I do have knives for sale sometimes, but shipping internationally has seemed difficult in the past, maybe things have improved.

Anyway here are some one offs, the first one was a commission for a collector I know, the second two were made as a pair "The Cowboy and the Gambler" some years back, although I no longer make bowies at the moment.
Attachments
DSCF2563.jpg
DSCF2569.jpg
DSCF2562.jpg
DSCF2561.jpg
Picture 095.jpg
Picture 108.jpg
Untitled-4 copy.jpg
Picture 084 copy.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

OldOak wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:35 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:35 am Ian, I can’t add any more adjectives to those already used. Your knives are very impressive. I see touches of Master Hattori in your work and in your folders I see touches of Dew Hara. If you aren’t familiar w/ them, that is a high compliment. If you ever decide to sell any of your creations please let me know.

I do have knives for sale sometimes, but shipping internationally has seemed difficult in the past, maybe things have improved.

Anyway here are some one offs, the first one was a commission for a collector I know, the second two were made as a pair "The Cowboy and the Gambler" some years back, although I no longer make bowies at the moment.
All the knives you've posted Ian are over the top, you sir are a fine craftsman! I particularly like the dagger bowie, the one you were commissioned for, just gorgeous! I'm a fiend for dagger style knives and that one really does it for me, thank you for showing us! Oh, ::welcome:: to AAPK, you're gonna fit right in! BTW, I have been receiving knives to Canada from places like Portugal and Russia, and although kindda slow due to the virus they all arrive eventually, so international shipping isn't too bad at this time. 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Your Damascus Bowie is magnificent. The others are superb. Truly impressive work.
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:38 am
OldOak wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:35 am

All the knives you've posted Ian are over the top, you sir are a fine craftsman! I particularly like the dagger bowie, the one you were commissioned for, just gorgeous! I'm a fiend for dagger style knives and that one really does it for me, thank you for showing us! Oh, ::welcome:: to AAPK, you're gonna fit right in! BTW, I have been receiving knives to Canada from places like Portugal and Russia, and although kindda slow due to the virus they all arrive eventually, so international shipping isn't too bad at this time. 8)
Many thanks. At the end of the day we all strive to do the best we can, if others like them as well it's the icing on the cake.
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:49 am Your Damascus Bowie is magnificent. The others are superb. Truly impressive work.
Thank you, here's a couple more pics of that one, and another from the past... :)
Attachments
090.jpg
003.jpg
096.jpg
Dscf2077.jpg
Dscf2041.jpg
Dscf2073.jpg
Dscf2042.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

WOW!!!!! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Beautiful knives, Ian.
Great work all around.
Love the Bowie’s.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
OldOak

Post by OldOak »

Tony_Wood wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:51 pm Beautiful knives, Ian.
Great work all around.
Love the Bowie’s.
doglegg wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:10 pm WOW!!!!! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Stunning work, love them all!
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Welcome to aapk. You make great looking knives and sheaths. Well done!
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::

Return to “Custom Knives”