sheep's foot

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

sheep's foot

Post by hellize »

Sheep's foot

I forged the blade of motorcycle chain and 5160, it is a san mai.
The handle is wenge.
Hope you like it

The sun was high up on the sky, scorching the land with its radiant rays.
The sheep didn't bother themselves with the heat. They were quietly grazing the withering grass, enjoying the God given tranquility. Only the dogs raised their heads occasionally if a distant noise found its way to their delicate ears, disturbing their peace.
The sheepherder, no longer a boy, but still not quite a man yet, was taking a well deserved nap, in the shade of an ancient gnarled olive tree. Everything was like it was supposed to be, just as it always was, beyond remembrance.

Hours passed by, quietly and unnoticed until a grey cloud of dust appeared far in the north. No one remarked it. Not the sheep, nor the dogs and neither the shepherd.
After a while the cloud of dust came closer and it became larger. The dogs started to prick up their ears and the first lifeless barks came out of their mouths.
The cloud gave birth to strange noises as it approached. A thundering sound accompanied it as small black dots took shape in its center.
The dogs were hysterical now. Rage and fear engulfed them in front of the unknown. The boy felt awe and dread as well as the cloud of grey dust and the black dots within finally reached him and outlined a group of men of a few hundred souls, clad in iron, wielding steel and riding sweaty horses.

One of them approached:

- Boy! Which road leads to the castle?

Fear muted his thoughts and mouth as well.
The marauder saw the lad's distress and stroke a different tone.

- Have you ever seen a gold coin, my child?

A timid nod answered the question, pleasing the marauder.

- Then you will not see one today, either.

Thundering laughter broke out from a hundred throats, but the captain flashed only a friendly smile and tossed a small sheathed knife to the young shepherd, along with a few silver shards.
Long awaited relief flooded the boy and showed them the way with the tip of its staff.

Without a word, they rushed away. A vanguard of warriors, forerunners of a great army.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
csizmar szilard
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: sheep's foot

Post by herbva »

Another beautiful work of art and another great story Hellize! How cool - that was made from a motorcycle chain! I am going to have to buy one of your works of art one of these days. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

That is pretty close to one of the ideas I've been floating around in terms of my designing of my own blade. I've always had a penchant for the lambsfoot/sheepsfoot/Wharncliffe blade. You've even had the same idea of a rather heavy blade. However, my basis would be similar to the Anza Nuter knife, with a bit more of a sheepsfoot shape, as opposed to the rather abrupt tip of the Anza. Like the Anza, my blade stock will be a (dull) 18" Black Diamond file that is probably 70 years old. Looks great!
hellize

Post by hellize »

herbva wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:25 pm Another beautiful work of art and another great story Hellize! How cool - that was made from a motorcycle chain! I am going to have to buy one of your works of art one of these days. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks a lot! I am happy that you like it :)
Yeah, I like to rescue old steel from the scrapyard and give a new life to it :D
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 pm That is pretty close to one of the ideas I've been floating around in terms of my designing of my own blade. I've always had a penchant for the lambsfoot/sheepsfoot/Wharncliffe blade. You've even had the same idea of a rather heavy blade. However, my basis would be similar to the Anza Nuter knife, with a bit more of a sheepsfoot shape, as opposed to the rather abrupt tip of the Anza. Like the Anza, my blade stock will be a (dull) 18" Black Diamond file that is probably 70 years old. Looks great!
Thank you! :)
The anza is quite a radical design, and I think that file would suit it really well. Wish you luck making the blade! :D
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”