apple hunter

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

Re: apple hunter

Post by hellize »

TripleF wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am Beautiful!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Glad you like it :)
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

stockman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:55 pm Nice knife Csizmar. I was told in wood shop in High School that hand saws handles were made of apple wood. The teacher said it did not split and was good for saws and such things. True or not??

Harold
Well, it is a beautiful wood, that's for sure. The grain is awesome most of the time.
But, I have to contradict your teacher on the split part. In my experience it likes to split and splinter a lot. I would never use it at a stick tang knife and neither for a saw handle.
Full tang is ok, since the steel carries the load anyway.

But maybe you have different apple species around there. Wow knows?!
csizmar szilard
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Csizmar, I don't think our apple wood is any different. I thought looking at your knife, that the grain of it wood without support could easily split. It looked like long straight grain to me.

Thanks
Harold
hellize

Post by hellize »

stockman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm Thanks Csizmar, I don't think our apple wood is any different. I thought looking at your knife, that the grain of it wood without support could easily split. It looked like long straight grain to me.

Thanks
Harold
You're welcome :)
Yes, the grain is pretty straight, that is not the problem. I believe the issue stands in the thing that most fructifers aren't as dense as non fructifers like beech or black locust. But I could be right, I am no expert
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”