viking axe

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

viking axe

Post by hellize »

It was Thor's day.

A cool breeze came from the open sea and filled the fjord's air with freshness. A weird salty freshness, but freshness none the less. It was a welcomed scent after months of fuggy fish stench, escaping relentlessly from the smokehouse, nearby.
All was quiet, only the buzzing sound of a thousand insects disturbed the tranquility as they tossed and turned around the countless blooming flowers ruling the long, low roof of the house. Busy little creatures...
The idyll was crushed in an instance, when a young warrior kicked the half opened door in and rushed into the vestibule, axe in hand. Bloodcurdling scream, torn away from many throats, filled the house as the terrified girls laid their eyes on the uninvited guest. But before anything could happen, a hand reached out of the shadows, like a blacksmith's wise, locked onto the invader's right earlobe and it dragged the lad out to the open, accompanied by a thundering voice:
"Put your father's axe back to the girder and go milk the goat!"
The boy ran like there's no tomorrow. He knew, that there is no way to defeat an angry mom :D
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
csizmar szilard
samb1955

Re: viking axe

Post by samb1955 »

You do some really nice work!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that is really nice. Fitting for Hagar the Horrible.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is a beautiful axe ! Did you forge the head ? And what is length of handle and type of wood ?
Looks like more for chopping through wood rather than for splitting rounds for firewood; i.e. intended for cutting down small trees, trimming off branches, peeling off bark and so on. Correct ?
Too bad i am too old to need a new axe. I have 3 and they cover my needs.
kj
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Nice One ::tu::
hellize

Post by hellize »

samb1955 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:19 pm You do some really nice work!
Thanks! :)
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 pm Wow, that is really nice. Fitting for Hagar the Horrible.
Glad you think so :)
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:17 am That is a beautiful axe ! Did you forge the head ? And what is length of handle and type of wood ?
Looks like more for chopping through wood rather than for splitting rounds for firewood; i.e. intended for cutting down small trees, trimming off branches, peeling off bark and so on. Correct ?
Too bad i am too old to need a new axe. I have 3 and they cover my needs.
kj
Thanks!
Yeah, I have forged it. The handle is magically altered beech wood :) and is about 45 cm long.
It is capable for both ;) Here's a little video with a similar that I have made earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmJZLjQrHTY
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

KleenCut61 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:54 am Nice One ::tu::
Thank you :)
csizmar szilard
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Master 'Smith'. 45 cm, which is about 18 inches is a bit short for splitting firewood of the diameter that most of us in Western Canada use. And i think the shape of head is best for other axe work, like chopping through the dimensional lumbar in the video, or for log building or post & beam work.
It is so attractive. You really have a talent for shapes and proportions to not just create an axe that works, but is also instantly appealing, like Art.
Thank you for regularly showing us some of your new creations. They are always a treat ! ::tu:: ::woot::
kj
hellize

Post by hellize »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:08 pm Thank you Master 'Smith'. 45 cm, which is about 18 inches is a bit short for splitting firewood of the diameter that most of us in Western Canada use. And i think the shape of head is best for other axe work, like chopping through the dimensional lumbar in the video, or for log building or post & beam work.
It is so attractive. You really have a talent for shapes and proportions to not just create an axe that works, but is also instantly appealing, like Art.
Thank you for regularly showing us some of your new creations. They are always a treat ! ::tu:: ::woot::
kj
Thanks! And thank you for your thoughts about the axe ;)
Yeah, the shaft is on the short side, but there's a practical answer to that. I can only send packages under 50 cm in length out of the EU, hence the shafts are 45 cm at max which combined with the packaging is just a hair under 50 cm. My hands are tied here. :(
With the rest you are probably right!
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”