New to the knife making game

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
SFC ADP

New to the knife making game

Post by SFC ADP »

So my wife made a request for me to make her some Boline knives.
So, I gladly accepted her request and have stared this adventure about 2 months ago.
Been doing a lot of reading, had my brother cut some steel blanks for me, and have been purchasing tools.
I can see the Harbor Freight Belt 1x30 belt sander can only do so much, and will have to find something better in the future.
Getting a great finish on the blades has been a bit of a challenge, but it improves with every knife. (Recommendations & Suggestions welcomed)
Here is last night's creation:
Attachments
Bone Knife.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New to the knife making game

Post by doglegg »

Well Sir, I don't think I have ever heard of a Boline knife before. It is very interesting. Is it used in food prep. And yours looks good. Educate me on the finer points of your creation. Thanks. ::tu:: ::shrug:: ::handshake::
SFC ADP

Post by SFC ADP »

They are used for harvesting herbs and are used by Wiccans/Spiritualist etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boline
I had never heard of one until she showed me a picture and asked if I could make some. (She plans on selling them on her online store)
Getting an edge inside the curve is a real pain. The first few tries resulted in a couple belts being shredded. I think I have a safe technique down now that gets this accomplished, though I would like to get more of a bevel for a better edge.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Very interesting. Post a link to the wife's website when you get them 'perfected'
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “Custom Knives”