gnomish cleaver

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

gnomish cleaver

Post by hellize »

A butcher's life is no piece of cake! Always at duty, no matter what the weather may bring. Be it freezing cold or torrid heat, a butcher's work is never done.
Start by pushing the back legs of the game onto the nails or hooks, so that they pierce the skin between the Tarsis bone, and the Achilles ligament, if the game breaths no more that is :D. The animal's stomach should be towards you.
Skinning is the next step. Than comes the front limbs, the innards (be real careful around the guts and gall-bladder!) and finally the ribs.
Now almost everything can be done with a small knife, but those ribs can be damn hard to sever. Some use small hatchets but I prefer a cleaver, which could be also handy in many other cases not just at small game like rats and moles but even with large ones like rabbits and cats.
I heard that some even struggle with goats, but I leave those beasts to those filthy dwarves. A proper gnome should never touch such a demonic creature. They're evil, I tell ya', even if dead!

It is 23 c long. The blade is 12 cm long, 38 mm wide at its maximum and 5 mm thick. It is of full tang construction, forged of chainsaw chain with a 5160 core. It is basically a san mai.
The handle is wenge with copper pins.
The sheath is made of 4 mm thick cow hide.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
csizmar szilard
bladehound

Re: gnomish cleaver

Post by bladehound »

Hell as usual you make some awesome knives
hellize

Post by hellize »

bladehound wrote:Hell as usual you make some awesome knives
Thanks! I try :)
csizmar szilard
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Very unique design,,,,you can see the top heavy spot would give the
blade more striking power at impact,,,and that close-up, 4th pic down
the hole as a eye and ripple in steel looks like a smile at ya,,,
but I could also see with one hand on handle and finger thru that hole,
you could guide that clever in some tight spots for precise cuts,,,jmo

stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
hellize

Post by hellize »

stagman wrote:Very unique design,,,,you can see the top heavy spot would give the
blade more striking power at impact,,,and that close-up, 4th pic down
the hole as a eye and ripple in steel looks like a smile at ya,,,
but I could also see with one hand on handle and finger thru that hole,
you could guide that clever in some tight spots for precise cuts,,,jmo

stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
Glad you like it! :) Yeah, it does look like it's smiling.
The hole is 12 mm in diameter, so if you squeez your finger into it, It will surely remain stuck for eternity! :D
csizmar szilard
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Again, another great story and a beautiful knife. Although I might put cats below goats. But being in Texas I do like 'cabrito'. (roast goat)
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm not a huge custom knife guy but every knife you've shown has been very appealing. I like your style of knife making. ::tu::
hellize

Post by hellize »

doglegg wrote:Again, another great story and a beautiful knife. Although I might put cats below goats. But being in Texas I do like 'cabrito'. (roast goat)
Haha, you might be right there! ;) they are quite sneaky too. But never underestimate goats. They look at you with those cute, weird eyes, and when you turn around, smack, they charge at you! Especially billygoats ;)
Thanks for the appreciation!
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

espn77 wrote:I'm not a huge custom knife guy but every knife you've shown has been very appealing. I like your style of knife making. ::tu::
Thanks! :) I'm not sure, if I have a style, I just like to fool around in the shed ;)
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”