experimental damascus

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

experimental damascus

Post by hellize »

Hello boys and girls,

I have this little damascus knife to show today.
The blade is an experimental san mai with 5160 core, the "mantle" is forged of 1.2516 and some magical mystery steel :)
I believe it is safe to say that this little fellow has the highest contrast I have managed to achieve till this day, thanks to my mystical secret formula!
The knife is 20 cm long, the blade is 9.5 cm long, 3.2 cm wide and 6.5 mm thick at the base ( a tank buster :) !) Its handle is composed of polished antler and Transylvanian "csere" oak
It resides in a thick, hand sewn leather sheath.

Hope you like it :)
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
csizmar szilard
espn77

Re: experimental damascus

Post by espn77 »

Wow. You make some amazing knives!!!!! ::tu::
hellize

Post by hellize »

espn77 wrote:Wow. You make some amazing knives!!!!! ::tu::
Thanks a lot! :) Glad you like my stuff
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Every bit of that set is beautiful!

I know what the secret steel is... You found a piece of the meteor that Jim Bowie had given to his smitty. ::nod::
I heard his original knife cut a cannon ball in half.
Just messin with ya...

You are quite the prolific maker, and your skills, and eye for form are top notch sir. ::not_worthy::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:Every bit of that set is beautiful!

I know what the secret steel is... You found a piece of the meteor that Jim Bowie had given to his smitty. ::nod::
Just messin with ya...

You are quite the prolific maker, and your skills, and eye for form are top notch sir. ::not_worthy::
Glad you like it Sir! :)
I wish I had! Actually I never even saw meteor steel from close :(
(btw, I seriously doubt that the cannon ball incident is true ;) )
csizmar szilard
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

hellize: Impressive work. And the sheath ain't bad either.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Dude your work is amazing!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
americanedgetech

hellize wrote:

Just messin with ya...

I'm pretty sure the cannon ball tale is true... It's posted on the net" just above these few posts. ::facepalm::

Check out FleaBay for "Meteorite".
You can get chunks of space steel for 0.50 - $1.00 a gram. The first guy since Bowie to have a space steel knife!!! ::ds::
Two things... First, there is zero oxidation on these pieces. ::hmm:: Yet they are said to be steel.
Second... If I had a forge, I'd experiment with them. ::nod::

Zombies beware!

Love your work Helize. Top shelf!!! ::handshake::
Attachments
81ShIeN2FWL.jpg
Ken Mc.

hellize

Post by hellize »

Quick Steel wrote:hellize: Impressive work. And the sheath ain't bad either.
Thanks a lot! :)
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

edge213 wrote:Dude your work is amazing!
Glad you like it :)
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:
hellize wrote:

Just messin with ya...

I'm pretty sure the cannon ball tale is true... It's posted on the net" just above these few posts. ::facepalm::

Check out FleaBay for "Meteorite".
You can get chunks of space steel for 0.50 - $1.00 a gram. The first guy since Bowie to have a space steel knife!!! ::ds::
Two things... First, there is zero oxidation on these pieces. ::hmm:: Yet they are said to be steel.
Second... If I had a forge, I'd experiment with them. ::nod::

Zombies beware!

Love your work Helize. Top shelf!!! ::handshake::
Hhehe! :D
1 dollar a gram?? I need half a kilogram at least from the stuff for just one billet. Now I am not very good at math, but that's quite a handsome sum, to throw out the window. And yes, it would probably end in the bin, knowing myself and my notorious bad luck. :(
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

Bad luck guy eh... That bites!
I have a buddy that can't buy a good day. but I'd have to say that bad luck is a blessing. It builds character, and that sir...shows in your work.
I have a new daily mission.
I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for some space steel for ya! There's gotta be some stuck in a tree somewhere. ::tu::
Two kilos huh. I didn't think that far ahead. ::hmm::

Have a great day sir! ::super_happy::
Ken Mc.

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Great looking blades and steel, impressive!
hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:Bad luck guy eh... That bites!
I have a buddy that can't buy a good day. but I'd have to say that bad luck is a blessing. It builds character, and that sir...shows in your work.
I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for some space steel for ya! There's gotta be some stuck in a tree somewhere. ::tu::

I am not sure about the character building part, but it sure teaches you patience, if you survive the initial hearth attacks and nervous breakdowns first, that is :D

Not two kilos! Half a kilo should be enough ;)
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

glennbad wrote:Great looking blades and steel, impressive!
Thank you Sir! :)
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

hellize wrote:

I am not sure about the character building part, but it sure teaches you patience, if you survive the initial hearth attacks and nervous breakdowns first, that is :D

That inventory/billing software "Quickbooks" put me in the hospital with what I thought were heart attacks. Patience with a computer is something I do not have. ::cr:: ::bad_day::

Seriously... I'll find you some meteor steel to play with. ::tu::
I feel it is just a thank you for all the GREAT knives you post. Plus I'd like to see you cut a cannon ball in half. ::nod::
See ya! :D
Ken Mc.

hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:
hellize wrote:

That inventory/billing software "Quickbooks" put me in the hospital with what I thought were heart attacks. Patience with a computer is something I do not have. ::cr:: ::bad_day::

Seriously... I'll find you some meteor steel to play with. ::tu::
I feel it is just a thank you for all the GREAT knives you post. Plus I'd like to see you cut a cannon ball in half. ::nod::
See ya! :D
Thanks :) It would be quite an adventure to work with something like that :)
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

I've been looking... Here is some cool video of a fella forging some meteor iron...
There are a few more videos on UTube too... :D

Ken Mc.

hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:I've been looking... Here is some cool video of a fella forging some meteor iron...
There are a few more videos on UTube too... :D

The guy keeps boraxing the hell out of it all the time, and then he still folds it at the end? Hmm... well now...
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

I have never forged a thing in my life, and a lot of these kind of videos are a little confusing to me.

I couldn't understand why he was fluxing a solid lump of iron/steel from the begining of the process but heck... He has space steel, and neither of us do! ::tu::

You'll never believe what I found on the web... http://www.meteoritemarket.com/
An on line store dedicated to space steel... ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:I have never forged a thing in my life, and a lot of these kind of videos are a little confusing to me.

I couldn't understand why he was fluxing a solid lump of iron/steel from the begining of the process but heck... He has space steel, and neither of us do! ::tu::

You'll never believe what I found on the web... http://www.meteoritemarket.com/
An on line store dedicated to space steel... ::handshake::
Hmm, yeah that is weird. I would understand it if it was spongy to begin with, buy even then I wouldn't use borax. I would squish it first with a big hammer, then only flux it when I fold it. But heck, I am no expert ;)
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

You're no expert??? You could have fooled me sir. There is another video (Utube) of a kid in England (I think) where he was sent a chunk of meteor that had been analyzed to see what was in it. His was mainly Iron with all sorts of minerals, and compounds in it. Things like Silicon, Magnesium, Barium...
Well this kid keeps banging away at this hunk of metals, and eventually he was able to forge it much like the fella in the vid I linked. This kid didn't make anything more than an iron leaf but the fact that this metal came from SPACE, and now it's a leaf on his desk is amazing to me.

Let me ask you something... You seem to love what you do, and it appears that you like to experiment with different metals. If you were going to make the absolute BEST blade you could, what metals would you use?
I mean Best by saying the strongest Torsional strength, Tensile, Yield, Elongation, Reduction and best blade edge retention.

Is there a "super steel"? or is that something yet to be created? Some alloy better than steel?
I know this is like a 12 year old kids question but I'm the kind of guy that is always looking for a better result, method, material, tool, whatever in everything I am interested in.
Thank GOD that I don't work in a bomb factory... ::ds::

I'm asking because I find Forging fascinating, and I may just set something up or if I don't Id like to know more than I can learn from these videos, and TV shows... Whom better to ask than a fella with mad skill? ::tu::
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (41.34 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Ken Mc.

hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:You're no expert??? You could have fooled me sir. There is another video (Utube) of a kid in England (I think) where he was sent a chunk of meteor that had been analyzed to see what was in it. His was mainly Iron with all sorts of minerals, and compounds in it. Things like Silicon, Magnesium, Barium...
Well this kid keeps banging away at this hunk of metals, and eventually he was able to forge it much like the fella in the vid I linked. This kid didn't make anything more than an iron leaf but the fact that this metal came from SPACE, and now it's a leaf on his desk is amazing to me.

Let me ask you something... You seem to love what you do, and it appears that you like to experiment with different metals. If you were going to make the absolute BEST blade you could, what metals would you use?
I mean Best by saying the strongest Torsional strength, Tensile, Yield, Elongation, Reduction and best blade edge retention.

Is there a "super steel"? or is that something yet to be created? Some alloy better than steel?
I know this is like a 12 year old kids question but I'm the kind of guy that is always looking for a better result, method, material, tool, whatever in everything I am interested in.
Thank GOD that I don't work in a bomb factory... ::ds::

I'm asking because I find Forging fascinating, and I may just set something up or if I don't Id like to know more than I can learn from these videos, and TV shows... Whom better to ask than a fella with mad skill? ::tu::
Hehehe, thanks, but you are exaggerating ;) If you wish to see a real expert, check out the works of Ariel Salaveria, now he's the real illegitimate bastard son of the mighty Hephaistus himself! He can make a blade out of anything ;)
Well those are all interesting materials, but as far as I know, you can't consider something steel, if it doesn't have carbon in it. That is just iron. A fancy iron for sure, but still just iron.

To make you a bit calmer, I would like to share the fact that ALL iron are from space. They were all forged in the bellies of massive dying suns, before their death at inhumane pressure and unimaginable heat from lesser elements, mostly from silicon if I am not wrong. Than if the sun reached the stage of a super nova, its iron content escaped and got scattered in the univers. Through millions of years gravitation collected the bits and finally formed other celestial objects from the remains. That is how our earth has iron. It wasn't created here, but in a previously exploded star. Thus it came from space ;)

If you are searching for the strongest steel, then the answer most probably is some fancy swedish stuff. Not damascus. Damascus is obsolete. Most modern steels are superior. I like damascus, because it is pretty and fun to make, that's all.
csizmar szilard
americanedgetech

I definitely get the Damascus being an antiquated method of knife making, and it's being an inferior steel to modern steels. I just find it the most interesting form of steel because some of you fellas can control it to the point of creating controlled, predictable results.
I think it is the artistic value that I appreciate the most in Damascus.

Sun(s)... yep. I can't help but believe that there is that "special" piece floating around somewhere that that contains an alloy that has never been on earth before. That's what revs me up!
I personally think that creating something that has never been seen before is the goal of every man/ woman/child on this planet. Otherwise we are just taking up space, and consuming.
I come up with methods of approaching problems or goals in a different way I guess... so finding something totally new is just part of my daily life. Like a black smith that makes all of his tools, or a knife smith that does the same.

Chemistry has been my hobby of choice for years, and I make some CRAZY STUFF brother. Like Aspirin from tree bark. Who does that?
I kind of do the same with everything. I'm currently working on developing my own epoxy using a Graphine base. Essentially building the carbon fiber into the epoxy. It's like feeding Mayonnaise to Tuna fish... just put em in the can.

Gotta run. :D
Ken Mc.

hellize

Post by hellize »

americanedgetech wrote:I definitely get the Damascus being an antiquated method of knife making, and it's being an inferior steel to modern steels. I just find it the most interesting form of steel because some of you fellas can control it to the point of creating controlled, predictable results.
I think it is the artistic value that I appreciate the most in Damascus.

Sun(s)... yep. I can't help but believe that there is that "special" piece floating around somewhere that that contains an alloy that has never been on earth before. That's what revs me up!
I personally think that creating something that has never been seen before is the goal of every man/ woman/child on this planet. Otherwise we are just taking up space, and consuming.
I come up with methods of approaching problems or goals in a different way I guess... so finding something totally new is just part of my daily life. Like a black smith that makes all of his tools, or a knife smith that does the same.

Chemistry has been my hobby of choice for years, and I make some CRAZY STUFF brother. Like Aspirin from tree bark. Who does that?
I kind of do the same with everything. I'm currently working on developing my own epoxy using a Graphine base. Essentially building the carbon fiber into the epoxy. It's like feeding Mayonnaise to Tuna fish... just put em in the can.

Gotta run. :D
Well, you must be a weird fellow... welcome to the club ;)
Yeah, could be. It would be pretty boring, if everything would be already invented, wouldn't it?

(actually weeping willow has been used here as an aspirin substitute for thousands of years ;) I believe even some monkeys use it, so sorry, but you are not the first here. But that experimental epoxy sure sounds interesting ;) )
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”