Help With Makers Mark

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
deserttrans

Help With Makers Mark

Post by deserttrans »

Can anyone help with the maker of this. I guess it would be called a short bowie? Any help is much appreciated.
105360066.jpg
105360068.jpg
105360069.jpg
Freedom Ain't FREE....
kootenay joe

Re: Help With Makers Mark

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never seen a marking like that. The look suggests an 'offshore' possibility, maybe India or Pakistan.
kj
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Thanks for the input Joe. I have looked for information and found none. The knife was in the same family for over 60 years or better. It came from an estate sale. Again thanks for the info.
Freedom Ain't FREE....
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

deserttrans wrote:The knife was in the same family for over 60 years or better. It came from an estate sale.
Given that factoid, I'm going to have to stand at odds with Roland's opinion. I don't recall any imports from that part of the world during that time frame other than maybe some brass trinkets from India. Besides, it doesn't look crude enough to match the hand work that would have come out of Pakistan or India during that time frame.

Looking at the stamping on the ricasso makes me speculate that it's hand stamped with individual stamps. I would like to present my 'guess' thusly:
HTW = makers initials
514 = the 514th knife from that maker
38 = year it was made

Come on boys, pile on. I can take it.

Edit: I just can't help myself. I've got to say it. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you needed help with a bottle of bourbon. We can all see where my mind's at. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Being over 60 years old makes the India/Pakistan origin less likely, but the 'oversized' blade with brass fittings is a style made in those 2 countries. I am sure there were some skilled knife makers in those 2 countries going back 60 or more years. ( cannot go back much further or Pakistan was not)
This knife looks rather unsophisticated for a knife maker's 514th knife.
Basically, i haven't got a clue.
More people are needed to post their ideas on this one.
kj
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

jerryd6818 wrote:
deserttrans wrote:The knife was in the same family for over 60 years or better. It came from an estate sale.
Given that factoid, I'm going to have to stand at odds with Roland's opinion. I don't recall any imports from that part of the world during that time frame other than maybe some brass trinkets from India. Besides, it doesn't look crude enough to match the hand work that would have come out of Pakistan or India during that time frame.

Looking at the stamping on the ricasso makes me speculate that it's hand stamped with individual stamps. I would like to present my 'guess' thusly:
HTW = makers initials
514 = the 514th knife from that maker
38 = year it was made

Come on boys, pile on. I can take it.

Edit: I just can't help myself. I've got to say it. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you needed help with a bottle of bourbon. We can all see where my mind's at. ::facepalm::
I agree on all points except that India, and Pakistan were both making a LOT of knives for export from the 40's onward.
I also had Hoped it was a Bourbon thread. I need practice researching there too! :lol:
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

In the Bazzar Exchange and Mart [Indian] of 1883 the initials of HTW are listed as somewhere in the insurance listings of knives. The hundreds of pages are printed almost microscopically and I could not dig anything out. This is probably a false lead, even a very false lead.
But having invested the time, I wanted to mention it to you. Good luck with your future research.

I too thought the knife originated in India.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Thanks gentlemen for all the comments and information. I too thought it was of foreign origin. The age and the excellent construction of the knife most have fooled me. Also a couple of knife makers here in Arizona could not identify the maker but said the steel and construction was extremely well made?? I did do some light research and some of the pics of short bowies looked very close.
Most of the makers (from the pics) were from the southern area of the USA. Again thanks and comments are much appreciated.
Freedom Ain't FREE....

Return to “Custom Knives”