custom knives from the 70's identification

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
shadycreek1

custom knives from the 70's identification

Post by shadycreek1 »

I acquired these in a 1960s-1970s knife collection and haven't found any info on the maker, a simple id stamped ( BJ ) I believe one may have ivory handles, possible bone but leaning to ivory. Thanks for any info you may have.
Attachments
20161012_151619.jpg
20161013_191925_resized.jpg
20161013_191938_resized.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: custom knives from the 70's identification

Post by Quick Steel »

shadycreek1: A few bits and pieces.

1. There was/is a custom knife maker named JB Snow. Right time period. He evidently made mosly fixed blade knives, but may have made folders as well.

2. There is a youtube video demonstrating a JB military knife [HALO type].

3. Here and there are google references to JB knives. Did Mr. Snow use just the initials JB as his mark? Don't know.

4.JB Snow did use walrus ivory (perhaps other kinds as well.)

That is the extent of my sleuthing. Perhaps you can dig out some more or someone more knowledgeable may come along here with better information. Good luck.
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

Note that the maker mark is " BJ" and I did look at the Halo and another Damascus knife maker but the styling isn't the same in my opinion. Other than the bolster pins being obvious/crude, the rest of the knives are well made and maybe from ivory on the one. Maybe he installed the blades after another maker made the other? I haven't had any luck through the registries or google techniques. Thanks for the time and info you do have. Mike
mike miller

Post by mike miller »

Only one I can find is Bob Jones out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. His mark was BJ in an oval.
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

shadycreek1 wrote:I acquired these in a 1960s-1970s knife collection and haven't found any info on the maker, a simple id stamped ( BJ ) I believe one may have ivory handles, possible bone but leaning to ivory. Thanks for any info you may have.
I agree with Miller on this Robert D. Jones also known as Bob Jones made although for some time he Marked his Knives with the simple BJ and not being encircled and he was known for doing file work just like the knives you are displaying along with fighting folders he used the both stamps ~ New Mexico

I found him in my Bruce Voyles ~ Custom Knifemakers Guild Directory ~ Hope this Helps ~
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Bernard Levine 4th edition (copyright 1985-1997): Jones, Robert D. (Bob), B.J. Handcrafted Knives, Albuquerque, N.M., Worked 1960 to present, his mark was B.J."

Return to “Custom Knives”