70's CUSTOM FOLDER HELP

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
jmam7516

70's CUSTOM FOLDER HELP

Post by jmam7516 »

I recently purchased a small collection of vintage knives from an estate liquidation. Among them was a large folding knife that I had been told was a custom folder that the gentleman's father had purchased in the 1970's. The knife was in its shipping container addressed from J. D. PERRY of Sycamore, Pa. Along with the knife was a hand written note in which the maker was apologizing for not having enough material to handle the knife as the buyer had wanted. The maker describes the material instead used and also makes an apology for overlooking to stamp his mark on the blade prior to heat treating. the note is dated 7/23/77 and signed JOHN PERRY. The provenance goes hand in hand with the knife and I do not doubt its authenticity. My question to the AAPK community is, has anyone heard of JOHN PERRY and if so just how prolific of a maker is/was he? Also is there any value to his pieces other than its intrinsic worth? The knife seems well made. It is a large (5 1/4" closed, 4 1/2" blade, 9 3/8" overall) single blade lock back. The knife is heavy weighing in at near 11 oz. Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
101_7098.JPG
101_7100.JPG
101_7099.JPG
John
XX Case XX

Re: 70's CUSTOM FOLDER HELP

Post by XX Case XX »

The only thing I could find was a knife for sale made by a John Perry on the "Arizona Custom Knives" website. If that's not your guy, the people who run that site might be of some assistance to you.

Return to “Custom Knives”