4 Custom stag lockbacks

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

4 Custom stag lockbacks

Post by djknife13 »

Here are 4 Larry Hayes customs. The whittler is a copy of a old Remimgton pattern. The yellow pearl has file worked springs and all are incredable knives. If I were to choose to keep only one knife from 20 years of collecting, it would be that whittler. I just remembered another one I should have put with these but will have to post that later. It's a custom sunfish whittler. Stay tuned for that one. __Dave
Attachments
Larry Hayes stag lockbacks 001.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 4 Custom stag lockbacks

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dave, that whittler has a very interesting and different profile on the main blade. ::hmm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

It is patterned after a R6823. I wanted to use it as my Sunday knife but just can't get myself to actually cut anything with it. Little paranoid I guess.
elwood

Post by elwood »

I came across this thread while trying to do some research about custom knives from Larry Hayes. I just bought one of his knives from Sanders Store. I was intrigued by the original poster talking about a Larry Hayes "custom sunfish whittler". I also have a custom sunfish whittler by Larry Hayes. I love this knife and have had it for 20-25 years. It is a three blade sunfish with an amazing brass "tapered" back spring. I will post pictures. I know this is an old thread, but hopefully the original poster can show some pictures of his.
Attachments
sunfish 002.JPG
sunfish 003.JPG
sunfish 005.JPG
sunfish 008.JPG
sunfish 009.JPG
hk1123

Post by hk1123 »

That sunfish is pretty. :D
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Beautiful knife Elwood! ::tu::

In the interest of accuracy, the tapered brass is the spacer between the springs, not the actual spring.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I've posted pictures of my Larry Hayes Sunfish Whittler done in stag. When I get some time I'll dig it out and post it here too. Larry is a really talented maker and does amazing work. ___Dave
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Larry hayes customs; Lock back from Western parts purchased when the plant Colorado plant closed, clasp and saddle horn full customs, and two of the same pattern, different sizes full custom.___Dave
Attachments
DSC01442.JPG
DSC01443.JPG
DSC01446.JPG
DSC01448.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!

All those knives are really NICE!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here's the Hayes sunfish I promised to post about 5 years ago. I've been busy. I added one since then so it was worth the wait right?____Dave
Attachments
DSC01450.JPG
DSC01452.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

elwood wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 pm I came across this thread while trying to do some research about custom knives from Larry Hayes. I just bought one of his knives from Sanders Store. I was intrigued by the original poster talking about a Larry Hayes "custom sunfish whittler". I also have a custom sunfish whittler by Larry Hayes. I love this knife and have had it for 20-25 years. It is a three blade sunfish with an amazing brass "tapered" back spring. I will post pictures. I know this is an old thread, but hopefully the original poster can show some pictures of his.
Sorry it took so long to post this. My second one is a lot like yours. Larry is a very talented knife maker but spent much of his part time knife hobby repairing knives. He has done quite a few for me over the years but seems to have stopped. I haven't seen him for several years.____Dave
hellize

Post by hellize »

Cool! :D
csizmar szilard
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Beautiful knives, David. I admit to being envious.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool knives Dave.
elwood

Post by elwood »

Hey Dave. Thanks for the blast from the past. Since you awakened this thread I will try and post a couple pictures. First, earlier in this thread, I said I had bought another Hayes custom knife. I still have it am including a picture. I am not sure, but I call this knife a "peanut". The blade stamped XX really reminds me of the very old Case knives. I am also including another picture of my RVH Sunfish. You may notice the bone handle is cracked at the lower pin. Both sides are cracked and I am not surprised with the big chunk of bone. However, if anyone reading this knows how to contact Larry Hayes, I would very much like to have him repair / replace the scales. Dave, does your three blade Sunfish knife have a tapered brass spacer? I was not aware that LVH did any work on Western / Coleman knives. Having lived near Boulder and Longmont Colorado most of my adult life I have collected these for about 40 years. I will get and post a few pictures of Western custom made knives that folks here may find interesting. All the best and thanks again. Elwood
IMG_6692.JPG
IMG_6700.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I love those sunfish!

Nice knives everyone!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Custom Knives”