Appreciating what I have

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Appreciating what I have

Post by toomanyknives »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:38 pm Lately I’ve had a hankering to buy another custom slip joint but that requires saving up some cash for a couple months. I already have two customs and I decided that if I have to save up for another one then I shouldn’t really buy one. Especially considering that I don't necessarily collect customs and I already have a couple.

The past few days I’ve been carrying these two knives in an effort to ward off my desire for another custom. It seems to have worked.

I carried the Equal End on Thursday and the Gunstock yesterday and today. Both knives are Mike Alsdorf patterns and I bought them both directly from Mike. I’ve carried both of them before but it’s been several years and I’ve always felt like they were too nice to carry.

I’ll probably never sell either one of them so the “too nice to carry” concept is kind of ridiculous. Since I’m not going to sell them, I’ll never get my money’s worth out of them unless I use them. Doing so has made me appreciate what I have and I no longer have a desire to buy another custom. Maybe I will again in the future but right now I’m good to go.

I guess this post has 2 purposes. One is that I’m enjoying these knives and I wanted to show them off. :mrgreen: The other is that although getting a new knife is always great fun, enjoying what you already have can be very rewarding as well. Even if they do seem too nice to carry.
Both of those are serious winners, Rick! Enjoy them!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is a teriffic thread, thanks for starting it Rick! I'm guilty of many of the issues you guys have been discussing, particularly, not fully appreciating what I already own. ::facepalm:: Lately though, it's been hitting me hard that I have about 200 pieces, yet I'm always wanting more, and since I can't have EVERY knife I like perhaps I should slow down and enjoy the knives I already have. ::hmm:: So, I made it a point to take 1 knife each day, clean it, oil it, or just hold onto it opening and closing it 1-handed, while I search on my laptop or watch T.V., and doing this has paid dividends in that, my lusting for more and more has eased up considerably. Switchblade days are my favorite! From day 1 of my collecting hobby I never had any intention of using or re-selling any of them, rather to collect, admire, and maintain them, and I'm finding that with each knife, I'm remembering the circumstances around how each was acquired, and it's almost like the excitement I felt when I first got the knife. I've also thought to myself many times, "what will happen to my knives when I'm gone", and being that I have no family left alive, nor any friends that appreciate or have any interest at all in knives, I'd need to figure something out, or risk losing them to some government auction. I offered to "will" them to a fellow collector that I had bought a few pieces from previously, but he graciously declined stating that he was moving away from collecting for other interests, and that was also the reason he had sold me the one's that he did. It then crossed my mind to leave them to a fellow AAPK member whom I had become friendly with, and upon asking him how he felt about me doing this, he gladly accepted expressing much appreciation. I conservatively estimate the value of my entire collection to be somewhere around US$10,000., compiled of cheaper, mid-range, and quality pieces, and figured he could put all the less expensive knives in 1 lot and sell them altogether, or, 1-at-a-time, which would take longer but would likely produce more money. The better knives he would of course sell individually, and any that he liked himself, he'd simply keep. This member has an AAPK and Ebay store so he has an instant platform of where to sell them, but ultimately the decisions will be his as to what to do with them, I will be happy just knowing that they went to a good place, and not to someone who only appreciates them for the money. I have no doubts that I'll be making more purchases, in fact, I have orders lined up right up until March 2021, but in the meantime I can enjoy what I have without constantly yearning for more. Like I said, great topic! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

You are correct, this is a great thread with interesting reading of every ones thoughts. And it is fantastic that you have found somewhere to pass on you collection to, i am sure it will be much appreciated. :D
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

When I first started collecting, I was in a mad race to make up for lost time, buying anything and everything off ebay. A lot of it was junk. Over time, I have managed to amass quite a few knives, more than I could possibly ever use.

I have cut my buying down to flea market bargains and knife show must-haves. Now with no knife shows lately, I have been focused on new GEC patterns and second hand customs. I have been enjoying carrying a few of the customs also. Such a treat to carry and use a custom folder.

That hasn't stopped me from carrying older folders, and I certainly appreciate them. I have about 10 or so in my EDC pile to choose from.

COVID had forced me to stop and take stock of what I already have, and the time spent with those knives in my collection has been rewarding. Sadly, I had forgotten about many of the knives, so it was like finding them all over.

I suppose I should leave some notes for whoever gets these after I'm gone. Good luck to them!
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

I was raised to buy what I need and never had the money to splurge, back in the '50's. My knife assortment (not collection) consists of a solitary vintage Old Timer 34OT and a few Bucks, a couple of them China Bucks. Yesterday I thought I needed another Canoe pattern in a higher grade steel than my current Buck 389 but just sharpened a Buck 327 instead. I have to admit if Schrade ever came back to US production of 1095 bladed traditionals I would probably buy several.

Return to “Custom Knives”