post apocalyptic knife

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

post apocalyptic knife

Post by hellize »

Some think that in the vast multiverse if something has the slightest chance to happen, then it will, does or did happen no matter the odds.
According to that, in an alternate reality our home, the now still beautiful Earth could be a desolate wasteland, ravaged and torn by an unnamed cataclysm. In some scenarios there might even be a few survivors, battling and struggling through this hostile environment, scavenging the ruins of the old world, endlessly searching for anything useful on the boundless aridity.
In such a world a piece of old leaf spring, a few toothless chain saw chains and a hand full of scrap leather bits could mean real treasure for the lucky one. Possibility means something entirely different here.

The blade is a san mai, forged of chain saw chain 5160 as its core. The handle is made of antler and leather disks.

Hope you guys like it :)
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
csizmar szilard
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: post apocalyptic knife

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

If I survive into a post apocalypse world, I really, really hope you and I will be best friends! ::super_happy::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
hellize

Post by hellize »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:If I survive into a post apocalypse world, I really, really hope you and I will be best friends! ::super_happy::
Hehhe, thanks! :) That would mean that I have survived too! :D
csizmar szilard
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very cool knife! But the use of a chainsaw chain in the forging presupposes the existence of fairly decent forging tools and knowledge. Reminds me the last Mad Max movie and during the chase scenes all those post apocalyptic vehicles had their lights on. I told daughter that I did not think there would still be working headlights at that point, but she said I am just a fun sucker.
Mel
hellize

Post by hellize »

Dinadan wrote:Very cool knife! But the use of a chainsaw chain in the forging presupposes the existence of fairly decent forging tools and knowledge. Reminds me the last Mad Max movie and during the chase scenes all those post apocalyptic vehicles had their lights on. I told daughter that I did not think there would still be working headlights at that point, but she said I am just a fun sucker.
Your daughter sure it right! :) Hahaha
Eh... sorry.

Btw, the fairly small knowledge I have would surely survive till I survive, and believe me, you absolutely don't need fancy tools to make something like this. For example my tool park is medieval at best ;)
csizmar szilard
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Dinadan wrote:Very cool knife! But the use of a chainsaw chain in the forging presupposes the existence of fairly decent forging tools and knowledge. Reminds me the last Mad Max movie and during the chase scenes all those post apocalyptic vehicles had their lights on. I told daughter that I did not think there would still be working headlights at that point, but she said I am just a fun sucker.
Good point Mel. ::nod::
I have occasionally wondered: "Why did Japanese Kamikaze Pilots wear helmets"?
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

You certainly produce beautiful products. Love your web site.
hellize

Post by hellize »

doglegg wrote:You certainly produce beautiful products. Love your web site.
Thanks! I am happy that you like my stuff. :)
The site is a free one so nothing fancy there, but it is quite easy to handle in my opinion.
csizmar szilard
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

We're probably going down a rabbit hole, but I will say that I suspect reworking the existing metal found post apocalypse would be far easier than what our primitive ancestors had to do when first figuring out how to smelt iron and then steel from ore. I love watching some of the youtube videos of guys trying to recreate primitive processes. They ALWAYS have many failures before finally managing to get anything useful. And that's what fascinates me - the re-creators KNOW it is possible, so they keep trying and tweaking until they get it. Our Bronze Age ancestors had no such knowledge. All they knew was they Sarnuk seemed to make better blades than Tiamook, so Tiamook started modifying his process to be more like Sarnuk, and then they heard about a guy in the next village downriver that made better tools than Sarnuk...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

hellize wrote:
Btw, the fairly small knowledge I have would surely survive till I survive, and believe me, you absolutely don't need fancy tools to make something like this. For example my tool park is medieval at best ;)
I realize that no fancy tools are required, but a forge of some kind with some sort of anvil and hammer is needed, and in a world where folks are scavenging any scrap of metal those things have to be created. Referring to the knowledge, I bet that not one person in one thousand in the United States knows that iron or steel can be welded by heating it and hammering. Heck, I went through a welding school (U S Navy) and no such primitive techniques were ever even mentioned. If my father, who was son of a blacksmith, had not shown me how to do it I would not have a clue that a chain can be welded solid by heating and hammering and to be honest I would have been puzzled by your reference to using a chain in the blade. I realize that essentially the same technology is used in making Damascus steel, and in the old Norse swords with the twisted steel centers and the iron edges, but I do not think it is common knowledge today.

I could not do it, by the way, and I do have a lot of respect for folks like you who can!
Mel
hellize

Post by hellize »

Dinadan wrote:
hellize wrote:
I realize that no fancy tools are required, but a forge of some kind with some sort of anvil and hammer is needed, and in a world where folks are scavenging any scrap of metal those things have to be created. Referring to the knowledge, I bet that not one person in one thousand in the United States knows that iron or steel can be welded by heating it and hammering. Heck, I went through a welding school (U S Navy) and no such primitive techniques were ever even mentioned. If my father, who was son of a blacksmith, had not shown me how to do it I would not have a clue that a chain can be welded solid by heating and hammering and to be honest I would have been puzzled by your reference to using a chain in the blade. I realize that essentially the same technology is used in making Damascus steel, and in the old Norse swords with the twisted steel centers and the iron edges, but I do not think it is common knowledge today.

I could not do it, by the way, and I do have a lot of respect for folks like you who can!
Thanks a lot for the appreciation! :D

If you ever watched a film of african natives smelt iron and forge it to a spear for example, you know that every tool can be substituted with rocks, twigs, rags and mud, which will be always readily available no matter what happens. Rocks for anvil and hammers, twigs instead of tongs, rags instead of a blower and heaps of mud for building a giant termite fortress-like structure to concentrate heat. Any previously charred wood is good for fuel. It needs lots of people, tons of effort and unparalleled teamwork, but it is quite possible.

You do have a point of course ;) Around here where I live not even real blacksmiths know how to do this, most of the ones that I met are archetypical smiths shoeing horses and such for a living. I estimate that maybe a 1000 people from the whole population which is around 20 million have a clue about forge welding in Romania. And even less, maybe 20-30 can actually do it. Now I don't say that it is hard to make, because it isn't, relatively speaking here, if you know how to, but it is simply forgotten because it has no use in modern life.
Anyway, this lack of general knowledge would only elevate the value of folks who are proficient to some degree in the craft :D
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

This is pretty good too, but I have seen a better one with twigs some years ago :D Will try to search for that one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ereJcjDAKLM
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

Look at minute 38! Stone hammer and anvil ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4zHAEn7y4
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”