Interest in specific brands

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Interest in specific brands

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A recent post in another thread has piqued my curiosity. Example:
Stanwade wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:37 pm The Brand-Specific forums here are somewhat indicative of the popularity of various brands among forum members. If you look at the number of topics, and number of posts in each brand you’ll find a wide disparity. viewforum.php?f=55

And frankly a curiosity, at least to me, is how a brand like Parker has a dedicated brand sub-forum with only 3 topics and a few posts, when for example a seminal American brand like Cattaraugus apparently doesn’t warrant a sub-forum yet has over 4400 posts (based on “search” results) and a single Cattaraugus thread in the Knife Lore forum is 50 pages long! ::shrug::

Bulldog brand seems to have a limited number of dedicated, avid fans.

Ken

Ken-- I wondered the same thing about Keen Kutters...
Is there a way to sift the vast data accumulated over the years in posts here to determine brand interest? For example how many posts, threads, views, etc are there by brand, and how do they rank in descending numerical order? Just curious what the results would be. ::shrug:: And might be a useful data driven method of determining what brand-specific sub-forums might be justified as being of the most interest.

In some situations the data might not be pure - for example how to differentiate Case from Case Classics (I’d guesstimate a significant percentage of posts in the Case Classics sub-forum are in fact about Case, not Case Classics. But I doubt that would be significant as the data would likely still be relevant/representative.

Maybe aside from Bryan himself there is not anyone with data access and programming skills to determine? ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Interest in specific brands

Post by orvet »

Those are great points guys! ::tu::
There was a time when I read every post made on AAPK every day and waited by my computer for the next person to post. We had a couple hundred members at that point I think and probably not more than 10 or 15 active members. One person could pretty well keep their finger on the pulse of AAPK, that no longer is the case! We have 22,785 total members, there are currently 63 members online and 915 guests. Our total number of individual posts is 818,569 and those are posted under 61,511. Obviously the three-person admin team, Bryan, Phil and myself are not able to be everywhere at once, it even if we didn't have a life outside of AAPK!

The suggestions you guys make our great!
I will draw this to Bryan's attention and ask him to add a Keen Kutter and a Cattaraugus forum.
That's the easy part. The hard part identifying the key topics on Keen Kutter and Cattaraugus that need to be moved into the new forums.
You guys can help with this by searching the term Keen Kutter and search Topic Titles Only and also check the box to search subforms.
When I get the results of that search it tells me there are 300 topics in which the name Keen Kutter is used. Looking through there quickly I see some of them are just knives for trade or sale, but some have a number of posts in them. You guys could help by doing the searches for both Cattaraugus and Keen Kutter and sorting through all of the topics you find and send me a list of links for the topics that you think are important and should be included in each of those new forums. Please separate the list by the respective brands. That will save me a lot of time for searching and reading through to see which ones I need to move and which ones I don't. If it is determined that 300 of those topics need to be in the new Keen Kutter forum then I will need to move each of those topics individually. So you can see the amount of time involved to populate the new forum with the key topics could be substantial, even after you guys up to on the research.
Does that sound like something you guys can do to dramatically speed up the process?

Thanks for your interest in your inquiry! ::tu::
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Requests submitted to Bryan.
It may take me a while to get to it, or it may not. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Dale. ::tu:: I’ll pull together some of the threads specific to Cattaraugus and send to you. Unfortunately there are many individual or grouped Cattaraugus posts in other threads as well, many of which possibly would have been in a Catt sub-forum had there been one in which to post them.

If Ryan can do the Keen Kutters that would be great but if not I’ll take a look at them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I would like to see more Cattaraugus, I just put a very rare mint pearl cattle knife on here and had No response.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I've had that happen before. Just not at the right time. Or maybe on the bottom of the page. Luck of the draw I guess. Then post a very common knife and get several responses. ::shrug:: ::shrug::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...I have trouble typing on this thing with one finger!!!.......... ::doh:: .............

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”