I'm Proud of AAPK

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I'm Proud of AAPK

Post by dlr110 »

After about 10 years of collecting knives, starting a website, a Facebook page and even writing a small
unpublished book about how to start a knife collection, I now realize I should have been on and involved
with AAPK all along.

Actually I’m writing this entry to let everyone know I have recently been on a few other knife forums
(that will remain nameless) and the people on them were so high and mighty, and were just rude to
one another. I saw one entry where an established member was telling a new member that if he didn’t
know the site rules, then maybe he shouldn’t be there. Another was admonishing a member telling him
to do his own research before posting something on the site instead of just helping the member with his problem.

I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone
down just because they make a mistake or their information and knowledge doesn’t match yours. People at
AAPK recognize that there are people out there at many different levels in their knife collecting and their
personal knowledge. You good people teach, inform, share and make knife collecting something fun to do every day.

Even though I did almost a year of research before writing my book I’m still not a knife expert. I don’t know
how to make one, I can barely sharpen a knife blade with a stone, and my knowledge of knife history,
the brands and all that goes with collecting is poor to say the least. The important thing is I’m willing to learn
every day. At AAPK I have found a site and group of people that are willing to listen and to help me advance
my knowledge and experience with knife collecting without all the hateful attitudes and disgusting language
found at other so called knife forums.

Thank you AAPK and I’m proud to be a member. :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: I'm Proud of AAPK

Post by royal0014 »

A well stated and thoughtful post.

"We" here on AAPK can take pride in in our unofficial slogan. ..
'The friendliest knife site on the www .... '

I, too have visited the *other* knife site once or twice.
Didn't care for the general vibe of the place or the person's there.

To be fair, we have a couple of knuckle-heads here .....
But AAPK is my knife home for the foreseeable future !

::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

David ,very well said. The people that are here can't be beat in my opinion. Best on the Web. ::nod:: There are so many unknowns in the knife world and our little forum is very open to exploring any conversation or direction that you wish to go. My kind of place. Glad you like it. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

royal0014 wrote:A well stated and thoughtful post.

"We" here on AAPK can take pride in in our unofficial slogan. ..
'The friendliest knife site on the www .... '

I, too have visited the *other* knife site once or twice.
Didn't care for the general vibe of the place or the person's there.

To be fair, we have a couple of knuckle-heads here .....
But AAPK is my knife home for the foreseeable future !

Thank you Chris, every family has a knuckle-head and that's okay so long as it's not the family norm.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

David I share your observations and agree with them. I also enjoy your post. Glad to have someone watching over things on that side of the Metroplex. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hey David, thanks for your post which express my sentiments as well. I got here about 3 ? years ago after being banned from another very large knife forum for confronting a moderator about his bullying of new members. It was a huge relief to find that AAPK is not a site of anger & animosity. Instead it is 'live & let live' and be helpful whenever you can.
There is an exception to this however. If you go to the political forum and discuss Trump, Obama or certain other topics, depending on your 'position', the responses can be unnecessarily harsh. As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.
kj
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote:Hey David, thanks for your post which express my sentiments as well. I got here about 3 ? years ago after being banned from another very large knife forum for confronting a moderator about his bullying of new members. It was a huge relief to find that AAPK is not a site of anger & animosity. Instead it is 'live & let live' and be helpful whenever you can.
There is an exception to this however. If you go to the political forum and discuss Trump, Obama or certain other topics, depending on your 'position', the responses can be unnecessarily harsh. As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.
kj
Thank you kj !! My daddy told me years ago 3 things you don't talk about publicly; your finances; your religion; and your politics. They are all personal and should remain so. I figured that was pretty true unless you were running for public office. I've read some of your posts and have enjoyed the information you have shared. As they say, "see you on campus."
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.
This is also true outside of AAPK, I've noticed. :lol: ::nod::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.
This is also true outside of AAPK, I've noticed. :lol: ::nod::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Hey David, thanks for your post which express my sentiments as well. I got here about 3 ? years ago after being banned from another very large knife forum for confronting a moderator about his bullying of new members. It was a huge relief to find that AAPK is not a site of anger & animosity. Instead it is 'live & let live' and be helpful whenever you can.
kj
Roland I think that warning applies to just about any venue that you may be in. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

AAPK is soooo nice that someone could think that even the 'hot topics' like religion, politics, etc. are answered with the same politeness & respect.
I thought that when i first got here but this is a difference in the cultures, (USA-Canada).
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

dlr110 wrote:After about 10 years of collecting knives, starting a website, a Facebook page and even writing a small
unpublished book about how to start a knife collection, I now realize I should have been on and involved
with AAPK all along.

Actually I’m writing this entry to let everyone know I have recently been on a few other knife forums
(that will remain nameless) and the people on them were so high and mighty, and were just rude to
one another. I saw one entry where an established member was telling a new member that if he didn’t
know the site rules, then maybe he shouldn’t be there. Another was admonishing a member telling him
to do his own research before posting something on the site instead of just helping the member with his problem.

I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone
down just because they make a mistake or their information and knowledge doesn’t match yours. People at
AAPK recognize that there are people out there at many different levels in their knife collecting and their
personal knowledge. You good people teach, inform, share and make knife collecting something fun to do every day.

Even though I did almost a year of research before writing my book I’m still not a knife expert. I don’t know
how to make one, I can barely sharpen a knife blade with a stone, and my knowledge of knife history,
the brands and all that goes with collecting is poor to say the least. The important thing is I’m willing to learn
every day. At AAPK I have found a site and group of people that are willing to listen and to help me advance
my knowledge and experience with knife collecting without all the hateful attitudes and disgusting language

Well said. A rare site, where civility rules...for the most part! ::nod::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

dlr110 wrote:After about 10 years of collecting knives, starting a website, a Facebook page and even writing a small
with AAPK all along.

....well spoken!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

dlr110 wrote: I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone

Great post, David! One of the things that I have always liked about AAPK is the way that members share their knowledge without condescension. I think that it is quite rare to find a place on the internet where folks with all levels of expertise interact with such courtesy. Malicious and disrespectful posts are pretty much non existent here, and I expect that is due to the example that Bryan and his moderators have set and enforced.
Mel
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dinadan wrote:
dlr110 wrote: I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone

Great post, David! One of the things that I have always liked about AAPK is the way that members share their knowledge without condescension. I think that it is quite rare to find a place on the internet where folks with all levels of expertise interact with such courtesy. Malicious and disrespectful posts are pretty much non existent here, and I expect that is due to the example that Bryan and his moderators have set and enforced.
Thanks Mel!!!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Great post!

I do hang out at a few other knife haunts (forums, facebook), but AAPK is the best place to find out info, let your hair down (if you have hair :D ), and just have a decent time. I don't think there is a more concentrated amount of vintage knife expertise anywhere else!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

dlr110 wrote:
Dinadan wrote:

Thanks Mel!!!

David, You have captured my sentiments exactly about this forum. There is a certain level of respect that is expected here and I find that refreshing in this anonymous age of social media. Plus I have learned so much from so many. It is a nice place to be involved.
I agree w/ kj. Except I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut about those controversial topics. Another one I would add to that group of topics to avoid is what brand of car you like. Americans get inflamed over automobiles, at least in the Midwest where so many major car companies have had plants, they do. That and buying anything not made in the USA. Wow, does that get the blood up for some people!
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I find AAPK is much friendlier and welcoming than the "other" big knife collecting site, which tends to be much cliquier and all they ever do is post a "thumbs up" that they like your post instead of taking the time to engage in a discussion topic, especially if they don't recognize you as a regular member.

AAPK is the best knife discussion board bar none ::ds::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I’m very late to the party, but for some reason, I never seen to get ‘below’ the Mostly True Stories.
I think I’ve was fortunate to find AAPK first in my knife journey. I was given a membership on another site, and do sometimes go there, but I think it’s far better that I had a bit of the newbie smoothed off first. At least I know a bolster from a bail by now!
AAPK is the most welcoming place I’ve ever been. Of course the sharing of info is great, but the off topic is just as important, for me. I have to stop by the First Cup Diner daily, even if it’s more like dinner time!
Thanks, fellas. A finer bunch of gentlemen I couldn’t hope to find!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

It changed my life, I can tell ya that !!! Finding AAPK bout
6 months before I retired was a God send....I just closed my
AAPK Clear Creek Knives store I operated for 13 1/2 years !!!
Opened up on AAPK 1--2-06, closed 5-15-19
Sure was beholding to Bryan for giving me a chance to sell a life time of knives...
Bitter sweet, but time to close that book and go on to another.

Stag
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yep.. This is a KOOL place with KOOL people here!!! ::ds::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

D) All of the above

AAPK may be what the site is called, but the people make it what it is - the best darn knife site on the internet!!

David, thanks for sharing a great post.
To all you others, thanks for being AAPK!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Steve Warden wrote: To all you others, thanks for being AAPK!!
My sentiments exactly Steve! ::tu::

There are topics, posted on AAPK concerning the administration of AAPK in which members have commented on how refreshing it is to find relaxed administrators/moderators that don't feel they have to hammer on everyone for every little thing.
My response to that is its the members of AAPK, their respect for one another and for new members that makes it possible to administer the site in such a relaxed, almost hands-off fashion. The less we have to correct someone in a forum, the better it is for everyone. The less we have to do is administrators the better, in my opinion.
We can have this relaxed hands-off approach because of our polite and respectful members who have an incredible wealth of knife knowledge stored in their heads and they are very free with sharing their knowledge.

So give yourselves a round of applause, because it is you folks, the members of AAPK, that in the final analysis that makes AAPK such a wonderful place to spend some time. ::clapping:: ::clapping::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”