Idea for a NEW Case Forum ...

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
Lansky1

Idea for a NEW Case Forum ...

Post by Lansky1 »

From what I see there are 2 camps of Case knife guys .. Vintage Case knife collectors and Modern era Case knife collectors (of course with some overlap). I enjoy the history, but have little interest in collecting vintage Case knives primarily due to cost of them. My entire collection (approaching 100 pieces) is largely post 1990. The vibe I get from reading a whole lot of posts over the years ... late model Case knives are often not held to as high a standard. Just seems to me Case still makes very fine knives, with LOTS of new patterns and variations not available in the older vintage knives (kirinite, corelon, a myriad of variations of colored bone, etc), which I find attractive. Case is still a viable american knife manufacturer, and apparently ALOT of people still believe in their modern era knives, which keeps them in business. There is clearly an audience for modern era Case traditional knives, which I feel is often overshadowed by the vintage crowd.

So, this brings me to the point of this post. We have a Case Classic forum, which pertains to a very specific and relatively limited era of high quality quasi-Case knives, and doesn't get a whole lot of activity in comparison to the main Case forum. Due to the fact there seems to be two fairly distinct types of Case knife folks ... HOW ABOUT DEDICATING A NEW FORUM TO ---> "CASE - MODERN ERA KNIVES (post 1970)" ? There are so many new product offerings, commemoratives, just interesting colors, etc - I think it would be a great addition to AAPK (no disrespect to the vintage folks, but I sometimes get tired of reading all the vintage threads, and I'd like to have discussions with like minded guys that favor Case offerings of the last few decades which are so much more affordable).

I think there's enough interest in Case knives to support a 3rd Case forum ... lets have a discussion, thanks.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Idea for a NEW Case Forum ...

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I have been on other hobby forums (non-knife related) where they had "high-end modern" & "high-end vintage" subforums to handle the relatively small, but rabid group of folks interested in the top of that hobby's food chain. Those two forums weren't brand specific, as there just wasn't enough traffic to support separating individual brands. The only downside was that some of the most knowledgeable members began only hanging-out in the high-end area, and that tended to lower the overall knowledge in the general brand areas. But, that wasn't all of them and it was a relatively minor issue. Of course, there was still the occasional post from a noob in the high-end areas, and also the occasional post about high-priced items in the general forums, but if there was a question about a rare item that couldn't be answered in the general forum, the poster could be referred to the high-end area.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I would like that!
Keep Near the Cross.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, Case already has it's own forum. Start a thread and name it "CASE - MODERN ERA KNIVES (post 1970)" . If there's any interest, it will gain traction similar to the thread "Case & Case related knives over 100 years old".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”