What’s y’all’s thoughts on this Shapleigh?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What’s y’all’s thoughts on this Shapleigh?

Post by C-WADE7 »

Saw this on the bay, stamp looks crooked and blade looks awfully new but I know very killer about these.
Attachments
55855970-5666-4B09-A626-2A22C274DAA8.png
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What’s y’all’s thoughts on this Shapleigh?

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: The blades look new and Stainless.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Modern reproduction. Whether I would call it a counterfeit depends on how the seller describes it. If they’re passing it off as “vintage”, it’s a counterfeit. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:07 am Modern reproduction. Whether I would call it a counterfeit depends on how the seller describes it. If they’re passing it off as “vintage”, it’s a counterfeit. JMO

Ken
It is labeled “vintage” and carbon steel. I wasn’t sure if it was a repaired blade or sanded down to remove rust but it just looked suspect to me. I’m posting a closeup of the tang stamp.
Attachments
49517EA0-2AB3-4CE3-8C05-E29DB70489AF.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Doesn’t look like an old Shapleigh stamp to me. Shapleigh didn’t make knives though. Most were made by Empire, Schrade, or Camillus. It just doesn’t look like an old knife. JMO

Caveat emptor.

Krn
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I saw that one and agree, it just does not look right, pretty sure it is a modern reproduction or fake whatever you want to call it.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

In addition to what has been said this particular pattern, regardless of what the blades are stamped, is one that is most often seen counterfeited. Usually appearing as new knives.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

For comparison, an old Shapleigh stamp.
IMG_4998.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Look at how the threads have been obliterated from the bolsters. That might be found on a heavy user but not on a knife in that supposed near mint condition. it's a sure sign of an incredibly poor glazing job by whoever pinned the knife. That's something you never see on a true vintage knife, at least not to that extent. Also, almost every vintage jack I've seen in that style has had a long pull on the spear blade with a cut swedge in front of it. I'd definitely pass on that one if I were looking for a true vintage Shapleigh. If you're looking for a nice looking user that you might get at a fairly reasonable price then it might be worth considering.

Eric
wlf

Post by wlf »

That looks like the same stamp Parker put on those so called NOS cattle knives he had made in Germany and was selling from Smokey Mountain a while back.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

wlf wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:55 pm That looks like the same stamp Parker put on those so called NOS cattle knives he had made in Germany and was selling from Smokey Mountain a while back.

One of his numerous “factory warehouse finds”? ::facepalm:: ::skeptic::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”