As bad as it gets!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

As bad as it gets!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This one is an abysmal fake, about as bad as I’ve seen. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144913181492?h ... R_Ltzfe7YQ
Good example to learn from though. The seller’s description is ironically telling: “ Presented for your consideration is this Vintage Case Tested XX 1920-1940 Stag Copperhead trapper Jumbo Jack Pocket Knife. Beautiful piece. So many subtleties that I am am having a hard time locating another example exactly just like this one to compare it to. Rare, hard to find.”.
::facepalm::
So how many incorrect things do you see?

Ken
EF9879A1-38BD-45E7-9609-D6414A5E1F17.jpeg
Attachments
9D70024C-55C2-437D-950D-6A6918900038.jpeg
A9D6CDC9-31E3-4193-8316-A383C1AE68F4.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: As bad as it gets!

Post by herbva »

The blade tangs have obviously been cold stamped and the original tang stamps have been removed, which is why part of the tang line on the primary blade is gone. The condition of the blades do not match the purported age of the knife and, it could just be the pictures, but they look like maybe stainless steel. I am not familiar with any pattern of Case knife with this frame shape, but it definitely does not have "copperhead" bolsters. The scales look to me like jigged bone, not stag. The lettering on the "bomb" shield looks screwy to me. On the bomb shields I have, the top and bottom of each letter touches the oval. ::facepalm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

And, I just looked at the auction and noticed that the "Case" stamp on the bomb shield is cockeyed, but it does look like the closed "C" "Case" stamp that should be on an oval shield.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Bingo! I don’t think the secondary blade was stamped on the original it came from, so it wasn’t necessary to shave off a stamp on it. Whoever did it just had to cold stamp it. ::dang::

It’s not even a very well done cold stamp!

From looking at other items listed by the seller (toys, signs, etc) they’re apparently not a knife dealer so probably has no idea the knife is a fake. But based on the BIN asking price they’re sure proud of it! ::woot::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
winst

Post by winst »

I informed the seller early today that his knife was a fake. Got no response from seller....
winst

Post by winst »

Another red flag: the bomb shell show no sign of pins..glued I would suspect.
robpa

Post by robpa »

well it is a jack.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Yes Ken, this is pretty bad. It seems that on many of these horrible multiblade knives the counterfeiters will fake stamp all the blades. Very early tested knives will often have more than one blade stamped but this is nowhere close to being a very early tested knife. The stamping of multiple blades on these fakes works for people that just believe what they read but don't read the knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

What would you call the scales on this knife? ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: Grilled Natural bone? Reverse Skunk bone? He's practically giving this gem away. ::mdm::
Attachments
Screenshot_20230123-231037.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

If I look close it does look kinda like late 70's early 80's Case jigging on some very yellow looking bone. Someone has really uglied it up by putting some black crud lines on it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The cold stamps and evidence of grinding were obvious even to me, a guy who's far from being an expert. Hope nobody pays money for this thing.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”