Off-center stamped Case shields

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
pointythings

Off-center stamped Case shields

Post by pointythings »

While wasting time surfing eBay I occasionally run into Case knives of various vintages with shields that seem off in different ways. Some are pinned crooked on the handle, while others have a crooked Case stamping.

I'm not counting the obvious counterfeits, but I am curious why otherwise ordinary Case knives seem to have "sloppy" shields.

Here is a current example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304675809887?h ... SwMMdjWBg3

It's a XX era 05263 Eisenhower pen with nice stag. Knife generally looks correct, but the shield has an off-center Case logo. Here is a photo for reference:
Case 05263.jpg
I also noticed as I'm writing this that the pins on the front scale also don't appear to be aligned properly. This isn't a particularly rare knife, which makes me wonder if it was tampered with.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Off-center stamped Case shields

Post by knifeaholic »

The knife is fine. Fairly common to see Case shields made off-center. For some reason mostly in the XX era like that one.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

That shield is certainly more than just a little bit off center. I'm just curious, in the auction title and in the description, the seller describes this knife as a "Deep Grove knife". I'm wondering what that means? Perhaps a misspelled reference to the grooves in the stag scales? ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
pointythings

Post by pointythings »

herbva wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:39 am That shield is certainly more than just a little bit off center. I'm just curious, in the auction title and in the description, the seller describes this knife as a "Deep Grove knife". I'm wondering what that means? Perhaps a misspelled reference to the grooves in the stag scales? ::hmm::
Deep grooves in the stag is my assumption.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I suspect shields are stamped in mass from sheets of metal. Even the slightest misalignment of a sheet in the press would result in “off-center” stamped shields. Add in the historical Case (and cutleries in general) penchant for “waste not want not”, plus the fact that a misaligned stamp on a shield has no affect on the knife’s functionality, it’s not surprising to occasionally see this.

Last but not least, remember that when XX era knives were made they were purchased as tools - there were no counterfeit knives and few knife collectors obsessing over minor details like misaligned shield stamps. Given the current day environment fraught with counterfeits, especially of older Case knives, that obsession is understandable. But it’s often helpful to put things in context. :mrgreen: JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”