Another Questionable Western States

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Another Questionable Western States

Post by JohnR »

So I own this knife already and bought it because I like the pattern even though I had some questions. The main thing I noticed is the main has a Western States Boulder straight line tang stamp I have not seen before or can find in the tang stamp charts, the pen has the normal arched stamp.
Blades have a very course finish, the rust is on top of finish so not done recent, pins appear to be hammered and correct for the time. Knife has had some cleaning done to it. It is not a pattern that I can find any other examples from Western States but I don't have access to old catalogs, it is 3 5/8" and a little beefy.
Feel free to pick it apart, I won't be offended, thank you.
Attachments
IMG_6565.jpeg
IMG_6567.jpeg
IMG_6568.jpeg
IMG_6571.jpeg
IMG_6575.jpeg
IMG_6577.jpeg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Questionable Western States

Post by peanut740 »

John,the master appears cold stamped.Blade looks like it never went thru final grinding at the factory.I've seen many unfinished blades sell on Ebay over the years.I don't know anything about W.S.fixed blades,but that could be a fixed blade stamp.
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I agree with Roger. Doesn't look like a Western brand knife to me. Looks like a Camillus frame cold stamped blades. Not unlike the many fake knives sold by eBay seller myrtlefaye.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I think that the tang looks shaved down on the front side. I do not know enough about the Western States patterns to spot more than that about it.
Still, it is a beautiful knife, and looks old enough to be a classic knife in it's own right. I would keep it if it were mine, but have it labeled in some way for posterity's sake.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The good news is that it is a model 16234 Swelgrip pattern knife from the 1921 and 1925 catalogs. Dropped from the 1936 and later catalogs. The 16234-1/2 had a clip blade for the main blade.

The bad news is someone tried to fake the stamp on the main blade.

These knives had the old "tic-tac-toe" style etch on the main blade and the arched Western States stamped in the secondary blade. I have never seen a stamp on the main blade of these knives that I have examined. Having not examined every model of 1921/1926 folders, I can't absolutely state that no tic-tac-toe etched main blade had a stamp, but I wouldn't bet money that they did.

Right off the top of my head, I do not remember ever seeing that stamp, whether on fixed blades or folders. The stamp looks cold stamped and the font seems "off".
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:16 am The good news is that it is a model 16234 Swelgrip pattern knife from the 1921 and 1925 catalogs. Dropped from the 1936 and later catalogs. The 16234-1/2 had a clip blade for the main blade.

These knives had the old "tic-tac-toe" style etch on the main blade and the arched Western States stamped in the secondary blade. I have never seen a stamp on the main blade of these knives that I have examined. Having not examined every model of 1921/1926 folders, I can't absolutely state that no tic-tac-toe etched main blade had a stamp, but I wouldn't bet money that they did.

Right off the top of my head, I do not remember ever seeing that stamp, whether on fixed blades or folders. The stamp looks cold stamped and the font seems "off".
Great information!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The OP knife is a fake.

Here's the real deal, master blade has the arched Tang stamp.

Never been cleaned or buffed up ::nod::
Attachments
8_zps99e6390e.jpg
9_zps0304f61b.jpg
AAPK Janitor
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:16 am The good news is that it is a model 16234 Swelgrip pattern knife from the 1921 and 1925 catalogs. Dropped from the 1936 and later catalogs. The 16234-1/2 had a clip blade for the main blade.

Thank you for the detailed explanation much appreciated and thank you all for your input. I was pretty sure the knife was not right and wanted to make sure. I'm still going to hold on to it because I like the pattern and the knife, if Ever sell will make buyer aware of issues.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”