Legitimate Challenge.

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Froe

Legitimate Challenge.

Post by Froe »

Please forgive my attempt to attach a link, I’m new to this iPad. But I just wanted an opinion on this Challenge. I’m personally not liking the fit around the shield and the look of the stamps. But the style and the long pull looks typical Challenge. However I don’t want go so far as to insult what might be a legitimate knife.
Regards
Froe

eBay Item # 204078926033

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204078926033?h ... R7CT6ITgYA
ea42

Re: Legitimate Challenge.

Post by ea42 »

That looks legit to me. The bone looks typical Challenge and the shield is uniquely identical to what they used on their cattle knives as are the blades. Stamps are kind of a hard thing to discern when you're dealing with bright lights. All kinds of shadows and bright spots tend to pop up. I'd read the knife first.

Eric
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

The stamps do look strange to me, but the tangs definitely look full and unshaved. Nothing else about the knife looks counterfeit to me, just something odd about the stamps.
I am far from an expert, and am just going off the photos of other knives here on AAPK.
Hopefully better opinions will be presented soon and help you to make a decision!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Froe

Post by Froe »

Thanks Eric and Rev
I appreciate your opinions on this.
Froe
ea42

Post by ea42 »

My pleasure Froe! Also keep in mind that tangs tend to acquire some pitting due to their proximity to the liners, which traps moisture, and also the fact that they tend to be softer than the blade. This pitting transfers to the tang stamps too giving them that somewhat rough look. I've got a number of knives with that same effect.

Also note the bolsters. They've got decades worth of patina with no sign of them being messed with and no visible pin. Everything's got the same wear meaning the knife doesn't appear to have ever been taken apart. I wouldn't be concerned with that one regarding the stamps, good luck if you go for it!

Eric
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Knife looks OK to me, I have noticed that Challenge tang stamps can be a little wonky at times, have seen it on several knives, I think I have a few in my collection.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That one was the real deal. I believe that it was one of the Challenge knives that was actually made by Utica on contract.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

For future reference.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220905-142900.png
Screenshot_20220905-142837.png
Screenshot_20220905-142815.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”