Is This Napanoch Jack Legit?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is This Napanoch Jack Legit?

Post by herbva »

I have some concern about this Nappy jack, and would like to hear opinions. My concern is primarily with the tang stamp. The tang stamps on the few Napanoch knives that I own have the word "Napanoch" arched and all of the pictures of these knives that I have looked at in the past few days also have the arched "Napanoch". As you can see in the crummy pictures I have attached, the "Napanoch" on this knife is dead straight. Also, always a red flag for me is the heavy sanding or grinder marks on both blades. Of course, this could just be the owner's not so fine work in removing all traces of patina. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :D
Attachments
DSCN0836.JPG
DSCN0837.JPG
DSCN0838.JPG
DSCN0834.JPG
DSCN0835.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
ea42

Re: Is This Napanoch Jack Legit?

Post by ea42 »

Herb the stamp looks good. I've seen quite a few straight line stamps and had a dogleg with the same. Here's a shot off the web of an old cokebottle:
Napanoch Straight Tang Stamp.jpg
Napanoch Straight Tang Stamp.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 836 times

The bone looks good as well but as far as the blades being correct you might want to check the fitment of the spring against the blade when opened as well as how the spring sits when the blade is closed. The pen blade should have the down-curving tang rather than the protruding kick tang like the large blade. I don't understand why anyone would want to "clean" the blades on a knife like that. There would have been no question had they left the blades alone. Judging from the pictures it does seem good though.

Eric
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Eric, thank you very much! I can only assume that people stupidly sand all of the patina off a beautiful vintage knife like this one because they think they will get money more for it. And, maybe they will. ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Looks like the same bone as the Jack Knife Ben/ Napanoch.
Attachments
C37AD8B1-F290-4B21-82FF-1CA878B62FF0.jpeg
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: The bones on that one are sooooo sweeeeet!!!!! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Herb, I don't like the looks of the blades as compared to the handles and frame. The bone handles look great and appear to have some significant wear at the liners. The blades appear to be very full and heavily cleaned. I would expect the baldes to have more wear to be consistent with the rest of the knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think the blades have had the hide buffed off of them. When Herb asked me about this, I told him to check similar tang stamps, which Eric has verified. So . . . ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”