Barlow

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
winst

Barlow

Post by winst »

Is for real???
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Barlow

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

The shape of the knife looks like one that Bear makes.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

I believe this is the knife in the OP and the additional pictures will provide much more information to validate the knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175343088528?h ... R6jt9dTBYA

I'm not certain but think I have owned an older Case knife with the same handle material as the knife in the OP and also by comparing the knife in the OP with another you can see the pin placement and script on the bolsters are the same. Best guess is the frame on the OP knife is straight. Unsure about the blade - almost looks too good to be true. Maybe Tom can shed some light on this knife.
Attachments
barlow.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Fred, FWIW I would not be a bidder. On a knife that age one might expect to see some handle cover shrinkage, but not the poorly made crooked bolsters. JMO. I haven’t handled many of this pattern/age so maybe it’s not unusual. Just saying I’d be suspicious and keep my money in my wallet.

I noticed another ebay listing of a Tested era knife, similar vintage and handle covers but it’s a peanut pattern, for comparison. Note its bolsters are straight and crisp. IMHO the stamps on the bolsters appear cold stamped (compare with those on the knife Bob posted).

Ken
8C8DB8AB-0704-455D-B2A6-8EBA7C665561.jpeg
931A7637-F583-4A6F-8EAC-C1E130F5D8BC.jpeg
F3562533-DA37-46A4-8246-AAD388EF29B3.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Real or not it sold for US$232.50/21 bids! 8)
8)
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Is it or is it not a counterfeit? I thought it looked pretty good. Outside of poorly fit on the bolsters, the knife still has a lot going for it for the era. jwwood
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

It is a fake. A Tested Barlow with a Tested stamped bolster will not have a bolster of that shape and contour. The bolster end should be flatter and less rounded and the bolster face with the Tested stamp should be flatter and less rounded. Both knives posted with this type of round bolster are fakes.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I agree with Wayne, both are fakes.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I wasn't aware that Case even produced a single blade barlow in the tested era. I have never seen one in person or or seen one listed in any of the price guides.

Tom
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

olderdogs1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pm I wasn't aware that Case even produced a single blade barlow in the tested era. I have never seen one in person or seen one listed in any of the price guides.

Tom
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

olderdogs1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:10 pm
olderdogs1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pm I wasn't aware that Case even produced a single blade barlow in the tested era. I have never seen one in person or seen one listed in any of the price guides.

Tom
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Both fakes made out of Kutmaster barlows, you can tell by how close the center pin is to the front pin, Utica was the only one to do the pins that close.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”