I don't think so!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I don't think so!

Post by 98src »

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I don't think so!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Agree, it’s “not right” IMHO. I don’t think the pattern existed in the W.R. Case & Sons era (Witcher says it first appeared in the W.R. Case line during the TESTED era in late 1920s*), and if it did it wouldn’t have been stamped “TESTED XX” since W.R. Case didn’t have the right to use that mark until acquiring the rights to it from competitor Case Brothers, as a result of their bankruptcy. At which time W.R. Case changed their stamp to CASE BRADFORD or CASE’S BRADFORD, and began using the TESTED XX and CASE’s TESTED stamps.

As if that’s not enough, I don’t like the jigging, nor the nail nicks running off the blade, nor the grind marks on the blades. The butt end of the tangs aren’t evenly set in the frame. (I suppose it might be an optical illusion created by photo angle, but I don’t think so.). Then there’s the stamps - look cold stamped to me. I’d be interested to hear what those who’ve seen and handled a lot of older Case knives think. ::shrug::

* Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery by Gerald Witcher, page 63

For posterity here are the seller’s ebay pictures.

Ken
Attachments
2033BD5F-FF92-4B36-8AB4-95E91DF6B3F2.jpeg
6E06FED7-1B37-418B-BB01-30C60B9412ED.jpeg
B014A437-E57C-4408-B76D-E7AD5E571AB9.jpeg
11ADAA21-B99F-43D9-9065-2EE5ADBCF941.jpeg
28293397-7632-49F4-84D7-2A2D2E9C1C20.jpeg
F329AF09-D7BE-46C2-9541-04910BDA49FF.jpeg
9BB99C3F-9EFF-4388-96C9-A199363DB4A8.jpeg
6794CB55-D553-403E-8B5D-86D3A67AF717.jpeg
9262D0CE-A391-4895-808E-286F658E11F6.jpeg
853920BE-7475-4444-86DE-7827ACF413C0.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

::facepalm::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Lots of modern junk knife flags with that one. ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Listing has been ended by the seller. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I’m no expert in spotting counterfeits and I could see that was a fake. The “tested xx” is no where close in apprearance to what it should look like. That stuck out like a sore thumb. I hope he didn’t pay a lot for that stamp, he didn’t get his money’s worth.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

Part of the seller’s description: “I HAVE NO IDEA JUST HOW GOOD THIS IS BUT STARTING AT A PRICE THE TIRE KICKERS WILL NOT BOTHER A REAL GUY.”

…… please. Always kick the tires.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

TritonJ wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 am Part of the seller’s description: “I HAVE NO IDEA JUST HOW GOOD THIS IS BUT STARTING AT A PRICE THE TIRE KICKERS WILL NOT BOTHER A REAL GUY.”

…… please. Always kick the tires.
Them tires are flat!😕
Roger
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

To the seller's credit, I sent him a message telling him it was fake and gave him the reasons why. He must have believed me and ended the auction.
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:51 pm Listing has been ended by the seller. ::tu::

Ken
That is good. It maybe in part to my message to him. I contacted him and told him it was one of the worst fakes I had ever seen and if he had any credibility he would pull it from the sale ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::groove:: ::groove:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ::ds:: ::ds:: :lol: :lol:
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

LOL what I wouldn't give to see the other great knives this "Ray" friend of his had stowed away. I imagine there could have been some real gems in that lot.

First of all, are these blades stainless? They look like re-stamped Frost or some other Japan-made knife from the late 80's or 90's.

The jigging looks like no Case jigging I've seen, even the older ones, but having said that, who really knows. The bone scales look older than the blades lets just say that.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I showed it to my wife and she shouted “fake” from across the room and she only puts up with my knife talk to humor me.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:22 pm I showed it to my wife and she shouted “fake” from across the room and she only puts up with my knife talk to humor me.
🤭

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

56Dodgers wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:02 pm LOL what I wouldn't give to see the other great knives this "Ray" friend of his had stowed away. I imagine there could have been some real gems in that lot.
The seller has over 20,000 sales on ebay, been on ebay since 2007:according to his seller profile. Looking at his other items, he has a lot of jewelry and watches, very few knives. My guess is he’s not a knife guy, but other than this one the knives he’s offering (including several other Case knives) look okay. At least, I didn’t see any other obvious fakes. Maybe they’re the rest of his friend Ray’s knives. ::shrug:: I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, especially since when told the knife is fake he pulled it. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:22 pm I showed it to my wife and she shouted “fake” from across the room and she only puts up with my knife talk to humor me.
::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: ! 8)
8)
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:23 am
56Dodgers wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:02 pm LOL what I wouldn't give to see the other great knives this "Ray" friend of his had stowed away. I imagine there could have been some real gems in that lot.
The seller has over 20,000 sales on ebay, been on ebay since 2007:according to his seller profile. Looking at his other items, he has a lot of jewelry and watches, very few knives. My guess is he’s not a knife guy, but other than this one the knives he’s offering (including several other Case knives) look okay. At least, I didn’t see any other obvious fakes. Maybe they’re the rest of his friend Ray’s knives. ::shrug:: I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, especially since when told the knife is fake he pulled it. ::tu::

Ken
And by the way,,, that is some other Ray,, not this one! :shock:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:23 am

Ken
Yep, I give the benefit of the doubt too if he pulled it upon hearing from someone with more info. Some people just aren't as dialed in on all the details as "knife people" are. If they see a brand they can find in the book they take it at face value. I wish I could do that too, but we know there is so much junk out there.
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

He messaged me back and said well thats 3 of you that have told me this. So is any part of it from case or should I just give it to a 12 yr old. I told him to give it to a 12 yr old but to grind the stamp off first. :lol:
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BIGHEAD wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:54 am He messaged me back and said well thats 3 of you that have told me this. So is any part of it from case or should I just give it to a 12 yr old. I told him to give it to a 12 yr old but to grind the stamp off first. :lol:

😎👍👍

BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

He replied again saying he was gonna throw it in the ocean off a high bridge :lol: Itold him thanks for being honest and that it would be out of circulation that way.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”