unmarked "Scagel" knife... appears genuine, but why so inexpensive?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
56Dodgers

unmarked "Scagel" knife... appears genuine, but why so inexpensive?

Post by 56Dodgers »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275250570283?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

This is a perplexing one. The knife appears genuine, but is unmarked. Notice the speckled blade which looks like a cross between heating duct metal and damascus steel. Many photos of genuine vintage Scagels have this appearance. Not sure what caused that.

The handle looks a little clunky for a Scagel, but maybe that is swelling/shrinking with age. The sheath is not original or advertised as such. The price seems low for a Scagel, but high (very high) if its not a genuine Scagel. I'm torn. I feel like if it was clearly marked with W. Scagel Handmade it would have sold by now. The lower res photos for a knife offered at $3500+ USD are a disappointment.

Thoughts?!?!
eveled

Re: unmarked "Scagel" knife... appears genuine, but why so inexpensive?

Post by eveled »

Thanks a lot. I was hoping to get it cheap. Now everyone knows about it. ::dang::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

That's a lot of money for a knife you're not 100% sure of. ::paranoid::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

eveled wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:13 pm Thanks a lot. I was hoping to get it cheap. Now everyone knows about it. ::dang::
:)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

An unmarked custom made knife is difficult to sell and the value is less than if it was marked. This knife needs to be examined by a Scagel expert who could then state the likelihood that Wm. Scagel made this knife.
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Quite few people have copied Scagel knives for at least 40 years, tough call.

Ed, I hope you're kidding, I'd bet there are several hundred people who have Scagel as a watch and there are presently 15 who have it on their watch list.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have the book by Lucie. It is a wonderful book and that is the closest I will come to a Scagel knife.
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

My gut feeling is that the knife is genuine, regardless of the lack of distinct markings.

1. The knife appears as old as it is purported to be
2. The construction style and type of materials are consistent with Scagel's known methods
3. The blade has that odd speckled appearance I've seen on many other known Scagels from photos in books, articles
4. The guard style and pattern are very similar to many known Scagels

Here are some items that make me want to see/know more:

1. Why is it not marked?
2. The handle seems to be a little wonky - it doesn't flow as nicely as some other Scagel handles. It looks lumpy in some places.
3. Clearer, higher-res photos overall would help a lot
4. A clear shot of the end of the stag crotch could help us determine how old it is
5. How is the guard attached? Is it split on the side and then pinned back together? That was a style Scagel used on known daggers
6. Close up shot of the handle and the spacers

We have all seen known Scagels of this type and era sell for 3, 4, or 5 times the current asking price. Where has this one been all these years?

DISCLAIMER: I have never seen a Scagel knife in person and I have no affiliation with the auction. Even at $3600 USD its way out of my price range.
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

Compare the eBay knife to this one:

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdju ... 456-1-397/
eveled

Post by eveled »

Gene, I was kidding. At the time I thought the OP was kidding too.

Now I realize he was serious. Out of my league even if it is a bargain.
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

Bumping this back up. It has still not sold. After looking at many pictures of similar Scagel daggers of this type, if so, it is priced about where it should be for the age and condition.

If the seller lived in the U.S., I would see if I could go and do an in-person inspection of the seller would allow it.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

$5000 worth of rare and $150 worth of cool. Easily faked. No provenance. Move on.
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:01 pm $5000 worth of rare and $150 worth of cool. Easily faked. No provenance. Move on.
I hear ya, but I disagree. There is quite a bit here that does not seem easy to fake. First, the blade patina. I have only ever seen genuine Scagel knives with that mottled patterning in the blade. I don't know if it was some kind of case hardening or something in the heat treat, but if you closely examine many genuine Scagel photos, you will see this is there. Also, the spacer spacing, the cuts and curves in the guard, the blade grinds, etc. All distinctly like many of Scagel's known works.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”