Not right

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Not right

Post by Mumbleypeg »

One of the Case patterns I collect is the 67 (especially the 06267). I have never seen one with a spey blade. ::shrug:: Have to call “bogus” on this one. Not surprising from this seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265213603169?h ... SwcmFg3IRn

Ken
Attachments
6698C60D-45A5-4AF4-81AA-503B2900E6D2.jpeg
6698C60D-45A5-4AF4-81AA-503B2900E6D2.jpeg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Re: Not right

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:19 am Not surprising from this seller.
A large number of his other listings are also pre-1970 Case knives.

The shield looks odd, too. The area around the E seems much deeper than the area around the C. Before I enlarged the photos, it looked almost like it spelled "CASD." Is that another cause for concern?

Ken, if you have the time and desire, I (and many others, I'm sure) would find a primer on spotting counterfeit Case knives very useful. Or maybe we could get a sticky thread with examples?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

Not surprising from this seller.

Ken
[/quote]

This isn’t so much about the knife in question !! If it’s Bogus, it’s Bogus !!! According to you Ken even the Best of Sellers make mistakes !! And that’s a very true statement sir. But why the added personal attack on this seller ??? This seller has over 3,300 transactions with a 100% seller rating on EBay !!! You just can’t do Any Better than that sir !! He has some Beautiful Knives for sale and apparently has had No Problem whatsoever selling them with No Complaints !! He is also a Paying Member of AAPK and though he doesn’t sell here, he does do business here by purchasing items off of sellers !! Myself included, and I don’t want to lose his business !! Just My Opinion Sir: As for this particular seller ( Not All ) Stick to the Knife in question, as his Statistics as a Seller don’t deserve any criticism !!
And as for Dan ::facepalm:: Here you are again ::facepalm:: Commenting on Knives which you have No Knowledge Whatsoever About !! And Now That No Knowledge has Increased to Older Case Knives ::dang:: ::facepalm::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The OP is a good example of what he sells. A lot of reworks and worn outs. Unbelievable the prices he gets for some of the junk he sells. Used up shiney blades with completely pitted tangs and illegible stamps. Gotta love eBay.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dan, there are numerous educational posts here in the counterfeit watch forum that are good primer on telltale signs of counterfeiting, in this case it’s a matter of knowing the maker and patterns. I don’t post a knife here without explaining what I see wrong with it, but one bogus aspect is enough, especially when it is as obvious as having the wrong blade. After seeing it’s fake I don’t analyze every other aspect, and I rarely get into examining tang stamps. There’s no substitute for examining and studying knives in-hand but I’d recommend getting a copy of Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery by Gerald Witcher. You can get a new copy from Knife Magazine www.knifemagazine.com. It won’t make you an overnight expert but it will give you a good basic understanding of what to look for.

As for my comment about the seller. I’m not into personalities and it’s not a “personal attack”. I just look at the knives they sell. I have seen too many fakes from the seller, and too often - so caveat emptor. eBay ratings are a farce - they mean the seller provides good service, ships in a timely manner, and not much if anything else. There are many notorious sellers of counterfeits that have 100% ratings on eBay (in fact there are several threads here marveling about exactly that phenomena). I don’t care if they’re members here, walk on water, and turn it into wine. It’s about the knives they sell. If they repeatedly sell counterfeits I will say so - one purpose of the Counterfeit watch is to alert others not to get cheated. ::nod::

Ken
Edit: it appears Knife Magazine no longer has Witcher’s book available. You’ll likely need to find a used copy from other sources.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:33 pm Dan, there are numerous educational posts here in the counterfeit watch forum that are good primer on telltale signs of counterfeiting, in this case it’s a matter of knowing the maker and patterns. I don’t post a knife here without explaining what I see wrong with it, but one bogus aspect is enough, especially when it is as obvious as having the wrong blade. After seeing it’s fake I don’t analyze every other aspect, and I rarely get into examining tang stamps. There’s no substitute for examining and studying knives in-hand but I’d recommend getting a copy of Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery by Gerald Witcher. You can get a new copy from Knife Magazine www.knifemagazine.com. It won’t make you an overnight expert but it will give you a good basic understanding of what to look for.

As for my comment about the seller. I’m not into personalities and it’s not a “personal attack”. I just look at the knives they sell. I have seen too many fakes from the seller, and too often - so caveat emptor. eBay ratings are a farce - they mean the seller provides good service, ships in a timely manner, and not much if anything else. There are many notorious sellers of counterfeits that have 100% ratings on eBay (in fact there are several threads here marveling about exactly that phenomena). I don’t care if they’re members here, walk on water, and turn it into wine. It’s about the knives they sell. If they repeatedly sell counterfeits I will say so - one purpose of the Counterfeit watch is to alert others not to get cheated. ::nod::

Ken
Edit: it appears Knife Magazine no longer has Witcher’s book available. You’ll likely need to find a used copy from other sources.
Well put Ken.The seller has a long pattern of selling crap.Someone that defends that practice needs a lesson or 2,or may also need scrutiny.
Roger
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:33 pm There’s no substitute for examining and studying knives in-hand but I’d recommend getting a copy of Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery by Gerald Witcher.
If I can find a copy, I'll get one. Meanwhile, I'll take some time to read through the posts herein.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

It does look like it says CASD on my cellphone.

🤔 A spey blade seems abnormal, why not a pen? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:52 pm If I can find a copy, I'll get one.
Here's one for sale on Amazon. I paid about the same for mine. I recommend the hard copy as there are a LOT of detailed photos.

Description states it's in "Mint" condition but mint means different things to different people. If you have either one of Steve Pfeiffers books those would help as well. https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeiting-a ... 8&qid=&sr=
_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

When you can not distinguish the differences between an organization and a general public sample, then the organization has been relegated to just another bunch of "good ol boys". This generally occurs when less scrutiny is applied to the members behavior than to the actions of a member of the general public. No we don't walk on WATER nor turn water into WINE but we should always clear the WATER when necessary and pay less attention to the "WINERS" Hang in there MUMBLEPEG......
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:33 pmAs for my comment about the seller. I’m not into personalities and it’s not a “personal attack”. I just look at the knives they sell. I have seen too many fakes from the seller, and too often - so caveat emptor. eBay ratings are a farce - they mean the seller provides good service, ships in a timely manner, and not much if anything else. There are many notorious sellers of counterfeits that have 100% ratings on eBay (in fact there are several threads here marveling about exactly that phenomena). I don’t care if they’re members here, walk on water, and turn it into wine. It’s about the knives they sell. If they repeatedly sell counterfeits I will say so - one purpose of the Counterfeit watch is to alert others not to get cheated
and Ken does a fine job of doing so within the limits of the terms that we all agreed to: ucp.php?mode=terms

Well said Ken!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks y’all. I remember that feeling when I first learned a knife I had bought, and was proud to have, was a counterfeit. Until then I had no idea someone would counterfeit a knife - I just looked at the tang stamp and assumed it to be what its tang stamp said it was. That experience turned me off of knife collecting for several years. Then I decided “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” And decided to get educated to the best of my ability.

I despise counterfeiters and those who knowingly sell counterfeit goods, including those who choose to remain (or claim to be) ignorant about what they’re selling. I don’t want anyone to experience what I felt that day. It’s not good for our hobby.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

Steadfast moral and honest convictions will sustain the integrity of an institution much more than lax restraints could ever do. Although it may sometimes ruffle a few fathers, I had much rather be caught being honest than compromising my convictions to fit the whelms of a few.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”