Strange tang stamp

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
CANTHOK

Strange tang stamp

Post by CANTHOK »

Item # 57482 has a tang stamp that just don't sing in harmony--looks to be slightly out of tune. Listed on AAPK.
Working Edge

Re: Strange tang stamp

Post by Working Edge »

Can you please post a link to the posting in question?

I did a site-wide search of the item number you posted, which turned up only your above posting.
Thanks,
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:20 pm Can you please post a link to the posting in question?
Here you are:

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... order=DESC

I think the OP was referring to the "Case XX" stamp, particularly the A. Could be the result of a worn or improperly manufactured die, but I'd seek out an expert opinion, too. Waiting for the experts, especially Ken (Mumbleypeg) to weigh in on this one.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Go to the AAPK store search (upper right of this page), type in the item number and click the search box next to it. That will bring up https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... mit=Search

I see nothing wrong with the knife’s authenticity myself. Light stamp, wear and other obvious condition issues. Shield from XX to early XX U.S.A. timeframe. Difficult to see in pictures and without having the knife in hand but it appears the bolsters have hafting “sucking out” depressions consistent with grooves in the stag. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Thanks, Fellows,

Didn't know about the store search function...

Y'all larned me somethin'.....!!
:oops:
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am surprised that this tang stamp is o.k. To me it looks like the letters in "CASE" are of different sizes and the alignment looks a bit like individually stamped letters. The "A" is smaller than the "C" and the "S" is higher than the "E".
This is an authentic CASE knife but do you agree that the word "CASE" looks 'odd' and how can it be explained ?
Note: i am not disputing anything, just hoping to learn.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roland the very top portion of the "A" is obliterated somehow. It usually extends a bit higher to a sharper point. Might have been an old stamp and that portion broke off amongst other possibilities. To me the "S" and "E" look in line. You can also get an off looking stamp when both sides of the tang are stamped such as this one. If they had stamped the pile side model number first the tang may have gotten a bit of a cup to it due to the stamping force on the soft steel. Then when the mark side was stamped the outer portions of the stamp sunk further into the outside of the cupped area resulting in a deeper stamp along the edges.

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Eric.
kj

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”