Cattaraugus Elephant Toe - ("Original") ???

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Cattaraugus Elephant Toe - ("Original") ???

Post by herbva »

The seller of this Catt Elephant Toe claims it is "original". I'm not saying this is a fake, but all of the pins look like someone used steel nails and did a poor job of it. And obviously all the metal surfaces of the entire knife have been heavily sanded. I own one of these, but it has jigged bone scales. Did Catt ever make this knife with smooth (non-jigged) scales like the one in this auction? ::hmm::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224476598658?h ... SwrcpgsAcJ
Attachments
DSCN0049.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
kootenay joe

Re: Cattaraugus Elephant Toe - ("Original") ???

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the blades have been re-pinned.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Handle covers look like wood (ebony?) to me. Very possible for a knife of that age, but that’s just a guess. I agree it appears the blades may have been re-pinned.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

This knife is not original. It obviously has steel pivot pins and you can see where the bolsters were poorly ground after repinning - possibly with a dremel.
7C1C2E2C-5F35-42E7-A7E4-001C9E5B724A.jpeg
Also, the pattern number does not match the handle material. Seller states it is a pattern #22929, and the last "9" should mean jigged bone handles.
A41664B8-741C-4695-96F8-C13FDFFBF9D4.jpeg
27CC0148-C830-418D-A491-C74F49A17FF2.jpeg
In my opinion it is not worth half of what the seller is asking in this condition, but it could be repaired and rehabbed to be a decent knife, just not an "original" or a showpiece.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

This is the message I sent to the seller. I doubt it will make a difference.

FYI, this knife is not "Original" as stated in your description. It has been rehandled with some kind of smooth black material (possibly ebony, but I can't tell for sure from your pictures). The last digit of the pattern number stamped on the blade tang is a "9", which stands for jigged bone. Also, the knife has been repinned with what obviously appear to be steel pins, and it looks like a terrible job. Probably steel nails were used and all of the metal surfaces on the knife have been heavily ground.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

::td:: ::td::
Roger

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”