Fake Case Tested Canoe

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Fake Case Tested Canoe

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s an eBay listing for a fake Case Tested 62131 Canoe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184835271722?h ... Swna5gnc6W Someone took what was probably a 1970s dotted knife shaved the tang and engraved the Case Tested mark on it. Shield and jigging are from a late 60s or 1970s knife. Note the open C, squatty flat topped S.

For purposes of instruction, compare the master blade mark side tang shoulder grind with the pile side. Note the mark side grind doesn’t go all the way across - it’s been ground down, and disappears where the grind line shoulder nears the tang. The pile side in comparison goes all the way across from choil to spine.

The other obvious problem is the stamp itself. The mark appears engraved, not stamped.

Ken
Attachments
0A55ACE3-1603-44B3-8CCF-1F3337A4002A.jpeg
0A55ACE3-1603-44B3-8CCF-1F3337A4002A.jpeg (87.88 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
434BBA8F-21E2-4FAC-A659-50B79DFD3155.jpeg
434BBA8F-21E2-4FAC-A659-50B79DFD3155.jpeg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
A5A5F17E-E7F0-4450-A1FB-25F16037284D.jpeg
A5A5F17E-E7F0-4450-A1FB-25F16037284D.jpeg (104.49 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fake Case Tested Canoe

Post by dlr110 »

Your good at this Ken and I appreciate the lessons.... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I spotted that one not long before I read this topic. I don't want a Canoe that bad. Thanks for the education, Ken!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 am Here’s a née bay listing for a fake Case Tested 62131 Canoe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184835271722?h ... Swna5gnc6W Someone took what was probably a 1970s dotted knife shaved the tang and engraved the Case Tested mark on it. Shield and jigging are from a late 60s or 1970s knife. Note the open C, squatty flat topped S.

For purposes of instruction, compare the master blade mark side tang shoulder grind with the pile side. Note the mark side grind doesn’t go all the way across - it’s been ground down, and disappears where the grind line shoulder nears the tang. The pile side in comparison goes all the way across from choil to spine.

The other obvious problem is the stamp itself. The mark appears engraved, not stamped.

Ken
Good eye Ken! The little "dots" left by the engraving tool are quite obvious, among other things with the stamp. BUT, the seller even admits he (or she) is selling a fake! In my book, intentionally selling a counterfeit is much worse than unknowingly offering one for sale.
::teary_eyes::
From the auction: " I am selling this Knife because I am skeptical about its authenticity! So I am selling AS IS you decide. As a knife to use it’s beautiful, nice jigged bone scales, great opening and closing snap. Would make a great carry knife. The reason I don’t think it’s a tested is because to my knowledge tested era knives didn’t come in red bone. Again I’m not trying to get over on anyone , this is a buy at your own risk auction."
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Froe

Post by Froe »

I appreciate the education.
Thanks
Froe
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Thanks for the education. Seems as though this eBay seller sells knives.
He (she) did say the knife may be fake. I guess buyers beware.

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Knives like the OP need to be destroyed, or deeply marked in some way so as to make them impossible to pass off as legitimate. This seller is apparently knowledgeable and honest enough to state it’s a fake. But the next owner more than likely will be a shyster who will try to make a fast buck selling it as a legitimate Tested knife to a novice or ignorant buyer. Or it will eventually pass on to someone who will believe it’s legitimate.

Fortunately it’s so poorly done that a halfway knowledgeable buyer should spot it as a fake. But there are a lot of newbies who aren’t yet that wise. I see no good outcome for this. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Buy it and throw it in the river is about all that can be done. ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”