Asian knockoff?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
tongueriver

Asian knockoff?

Post by tongueriver »

I wouldn't allow this knife on my property. It sure ain't a Schrade or a D'Holder. Or am I wrong?
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (12).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
ea42

Re: Asian knockoff?

Post by ea42 »

Cal you might want to re-think that because I honestly think that might be the real deal, and an early one at that. I think he tang stamped his early knives. Looks like his classic palm swell handle shape and I'm willing to bet it has a tapered tang. Although I'm fairly familiar with his work I'm not an expert by a long shot so don't take that as gospel. He's still kickin' down there in AZ., maybe you can reach out to him to verify it if you have it on your radar.

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Sorry; I forgot to put in the URL. I had a feeling the D'Holder was real. A stealth collector grabbed it early with a message to the seller. I think it is an ugly knife. Those gutter gimmick blades have always turned me off. D'Holder started a trend copied by hundreds of makers; I have several examples but none by the MAN. He shared some ideas with the Schrade custom guys and that's what my "D'Holders" are, both the official collaboration and then their Ph-1 and Ph-2 variations.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Cal I'm not a fan of guthooks either, and I think Mr Holder is in the same camp. I've only seen two knives of his with that feature, which includes the one in your photos. Both were early knives too. His wife Pat is a fantastic engraver and does the engraving on a lot of his knives. Bruce Shaw and Bruce Christenson also engrave his knives. Here's one of mine, very nice bird and trout size at 7 1/2" OAL with ironwood handles. I believe Bruce Shaw did the engraving on this one. By the way the knife isn't green, that's just a reflection of all the foliage that's hanging around where I shot the pic LOL. ::doh:: :D
D'Holder Knife.jpg
D'Holder Knife 2.jpg

The Schrade PH knives were based on the collaboration knife they did with Bob Loveless, another legendary knife maker.

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That knife of yours is really something! Yeah... I got the two makers confused. But D'Holder actually DID do a collaboration with Schrade, just not THAT one. There are the ones in these shots and also they did a combo with the stag D'Holder along with a Lake & Walker locking flipper in a very nice display. I have one of those also.
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
papers 1.jpg
papers 2.jpg
D'HL&W1 (Large).jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

He also designed the hundred anniversary Schrade bowie knives with the brass animal castings in the integral bosters. Those are some nice knives, really follow the design of the original sample knife almost to a T. He designed the Canal Street bowie and D'Holder drop point too. He and Wally are pretty close. Harold Buley (from Schrade and Canal Street) told me a few stories of when he went out to Mr Holder's shop to get a lesson on how he did the slack belt grinding on his handles before Schrade started up on his collabs. That was a kind of a new concept for the knife shops back then.

Eric

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”