I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
MechanicalBear

Re: I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

Post by MechanicalBear »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 am I always thought COAs should be printed on toilet paper, that way they would be good for something.
Haha :mrgreen:.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Yet another scheme (or is it scam?) from the mind of Jim Parker. ::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:57 am Yet another scheme (or is it scam?) from the mind of Jim Parker. ::uc::

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

TritonJ wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:23 am I saw the seller’s screen name and remembered seeing it on a different site. Not here to claim it is the same person, but it’s a strange coincidence nonetheless. The other site listed what I think is a pathetic fake Case Tested copperhead. Bad scales, awful shield, see for yourselves.....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/855251393/ ... ng_details
I deleted what I wrote here previously because I was able to find a knife similar to the one below.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210508-231551_(1).png
Screenshot_20210508-231619.png
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:01 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:57 am Yet another scheme (or is it scam?) from the mind of Jim Parker. ::uc::

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.
No "may be" about it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the COA concept originated with the Case Classics, which were a Parker creation. The worthless pieces of paper came with them, and some people still want them. Sort of like having an original box I guess, except anyone with a copier or printer can create a COA.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.
No "may be" about it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the COA concept originated with the Case Classics, which were a Parker creation. The worthless pieces of paper came with them, and some people still want them. Sort of like having an original box I guess, except anyone with a copier or printer can create a COA.

Ken

Based on what I’ve seen Parker attached the COA with some of his “factory finds” as well, such as the Shapleigh brand.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.

Ken
Oh, I didn't really understand what you were saying before, sorry Mumbleypeg ::teary_eyes::.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 am I always thought COAs should be printed on toilet paper, that way they would be good for something.
Agreed.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:00 pm A seller on this site is selling certificates of authenticity for Case Classics. There are legitimate reasons you would want one of course. I just want to warn you guys/gals that even though a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's real. Here's a link to the listing https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -no-knife-. Yet again, I am not trying to call out the seller, there are legitimate reasons someone would want a certificate of authenticity. I just want people to know these certificates are out there, and some unsavory characters may use them to try to pass off a fake knife as a real one.

Really? I feel bad that this is on the AAPK site. Makes me sad. I guess I am too sensitive at this time of the day though :D

Bob

[/quote]
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

rea1eye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:08 am
MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:00 pm A seller on this site is selling certificates of authenticity for Case Classics. There are legitimate reasons you would want one of course. I just want to warn you guys/gals that even though a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's real. Here's a link to the listing https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -no-knife-. Yet again, I am not trying to call out the seller, there are legitimate reasons someone would want a certificate of authenticity. I just want people to know these certificates are out there, and some unsavory characters may use them to try to pass off a fake knife as a real one.

Really? I feel bad that this is on the AAPK site. Makes me sad. I guess I am too sensitive at this time of the day though :D

Bob

[/quote]

I know how you feel Bob. Also, I deleted what I previously wrote, because I was able to find a knife similar to the one in the photos below.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210508-231551_(1).png
Screenshot_20210508-231619.png
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

rea1eye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:08 am

Bob

[/quote]

I edited my previous response, please read it.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

TritonJ wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:23 am I saw the seller’s screen name and remembered seeing it on a different site. Not here to claim it is the same person, but it’s a strange coincidence nonetheless. The other site listed what I think is a pathetic fake Case Tested copperhead. Bad scales, awful shield, see for yourselves.....

I edited my previous response please read it.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

What? Wait a minute...you mean, the COA I sent to Old Cutler isn't legit? ::facepalm:: Where did I go wrong? ::shrug::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:08 pm What? Wait a minute...you mean, the COA I sent to Old Cutler isn't legit? ::facepalm:: Where did I go wrong? ::shrug::
LOL! ::rotflol:: ! 8)
8)
just bob

Post by just bob »

Guess I'm in the minority here and that is nothing new. I think going back to the 1970's and 80's some of the commemorative knives Parker - Frost sold came with CoA's? I just always looked at it as extra layer of provenance. Granted many of these knives even with the CoA were worth very little. Then I thought it was really neat with the Case Classics that in some cases the CoA told how many knives of that pattern were made and how many knives in that pattern had which specific handle material. That is information that is lost over time. A legitimate CoA with the correct knife adds some value - at least to me. The Indiana Knife Club had a Case Classic club knife made and very few of that pattern had that specific handle material. I don't have that information in front of me, but maybe I can find that?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is the Case Classic club knife with the scarce handle material. In my opinion the correct CoA adds to the value of this knife. It won't let me copy the pic.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... d-stockman
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

I have recently looked into the seller, and I doubt they knew that was a counterfeit. There is no way to be 100% sure of course because I am not them haha :D. Although, I yet again highly doubt they knew. Most of their knives look 100% legitimate.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I owned every Case Collector’s Club knife that was made up until 2011. Case use to put these first club knives on a plaque with a COA on the back of the plaque. I know that started in 1980 or 1981 I forget the first year of the CCC. So I am not so certain of the origins of these COA’s. Case still gives COA’s with their club knives, I know, I am still buying CCC knives since I am a life member and every knife I buy from the club has a COA. I for one appreciate having these and I keep all of them and when I sell a club knife I include the COA, box, keychain, tin or anything else that CCC puts with these knives. I think it’s a nice touch that distinguishes the CCC knives from all the others that Case makes.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:26 pm I owned every Case Collector’s Club knife that was made up until 2011. Case use to put these first club knives on a plaque with a COA on the back of the plaque. I know that started in 1980 or 1981 I forget the first year of the CCC. So I am not so certain of the origins of these COA’s. Case still gives COA’s with their club knives, I know, I am still buying CCC knives since I am a life member and every knife I buy from the club has a COA. I for one appreciate having these and I keep all of them and when I sell a club knife I include the COA, box, keychain, tin or anything else that CCC puts with these knives. I think it’s a nice touch that distinguishes the CCC knives from all the others that Case makes.
That's very cool :D. Also, I'm so glad we have sellers who are active with the community like you. Sellers are a large part of the reason this site can survive.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

So...speaking of Certificates Of Authenticity...and their (questionable) value...I have to ask: What good is a COA that has an obvious, egregious error on it? ::shrug::

Check out this one I got recently that came with the limited (millennium) edition 2000 Case 21st Century Collection. A friend gave me the zippered storage case (s/n 106 of 500 according to the fancy brass plate) with no knives inside, just the COA. This is the second Millennium Edition COA I've had...the first one I gave away because the only knife I own from the set, an 8207 MOP Mini Trapper, is incorrectly identified on the COA as a "Pearl Pen."

So, what good is a COA with such a blatant error on it? Is the COA inaccurate (and therefore, actually a certificate of inauthenticity ::hmm:: ), or have I actually been collecting Pen Knives all this time mistakenly thinking I was collecting Mini Trappers?? ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::doh::

Generally speaking, I don't give a rat's anal sphincter about COAs...but, to OCD Monkey, this is precisely the kind of detail that drives him bananas. :x :evil: ::cb:: ::poke:: ::smack:: ::cr:: ::censored:: ::cuss:: ::not_saying::

P5270006.JPG
P5270007.JPG
P5270005.JPG

Now I can't help but wonder if there are any other errors on this COA? (such as that "6151SS Large Chestnut Trapper...is there a large, single blade trapper pattern #51? or two pattern numbers for a Chestnut Pen, 27 & 42?) :?
Case MM COA.JPG
And another thing...The COA first states there are fifty (50) of the most popular knife patterns, but then a bit later states that only ten (10) patterns with five (5) different handle materials were used in this set. By my count, there are clearly more than ten but fewer than fifty different patterns...Very confusing. :?
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”