Platts Stockman - Could This Be Real???

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Platts Stockman - Could This Be Real???

Post by herbva »

I'm skeptical, but just wondering if this could possibly be a genuine early Platts knife? I haven't been able to find examples of this knife or tang stamp in any of my reference books and would have expected a long pull on the clip. What do you think? ::hmm::
Attachments
DSCN9858.JPG
DSCN9859.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Gatorfleas

Re: Platts Stockman - Could This Be Real???

Post by Gatorfleas »

Hey...I bought s small jack a month ago....it is small.....but has the exact tang stamp...no body has any old Platts tang stamps....but your knife gives me hope that maybe just maybe we both scored 2 original Platts knives..FLEAS out
mcrunkin

Post by mcrunkin »

Are you guys referring to Platts Bros., or C Platts? I have not come across a stamping like this from their firm?
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

mcrunkin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:43 pm Are you guys referring to Platts Bros., or C Platts? I have not come across a stamping like this from their firm?
I haven't seen this stamp either in any of the pictures I have looked at, and that is the main reason for my concern. But, I am wondering if this is an early stamp that Platts used. I know, "keep on wishing". :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Is there a name on the sheepsfoot blade, I see what looks like letters but can't make them out.
Scott
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The other blade has a different stamp on it.Maybe Holley.
Roger
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I would guess HOLLEY too on the Sheepsfoot. Interesting how the scales are pinned too, wish I was home to look in Sargent's for it. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a couple of boys knives that I have.
Two blade jack is 2 13/16" and the single blade is 2 7/8".
The little two blade knife was obviously made with Holley blades. He couldn't have gotten rid of all the stamping because it would have made the tang too thin. My theory.
The single blade knife doesn't appear to have been stamped.
These are sweet little knives that I treasure, and well made.
The print is from Goin's.
Attachments
DSCN5753.JPG
DSCN5757.JPG
DSCN5760.JPG
DSCN5763.JPG
DSCN5765.JPG
DSCN5769.JPG
DSCN5771.JPG
Joe
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

knifegnome wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:03 am Is there a name on the sheepsfoot blade, I see what looks like letters but can't make them out.
Scott

I also thought there was what possibly appears to be a tang stamp on the sheepfoot, and asked the seller about that. Here is the response I got:

"there s no other marks. if you research Platts you will see the connection. Thanks for your interest."

Sorry, I meant to include the link to the auction, but I probably forgot to do the paste part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-P ... %7Ciid%3A1

Herb
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

In the 1920’s , Ray Platts used that Stamp. He was putting knives together from parts and would grind the old stamp off and restamp it. Most authentic parts were from the old Northfield Plant according to what little information is out there.
Hope this helps.

Tom
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

olderdogs1 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:03 pm In the 1920’s , Ray Platts used that Stamp. He was putting knives together from parts and would grind the old stamp off and restamp it. Most authentic parts were from the old Northfield Plant according to what little information is out there.
Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Yes, that does help a lot. Goins does indicate that after 1919 knives were made by Ray Platts with parts left over from Northfield after they went out of business. The ebay seller got back to me after I inquired again about the apparent "HOLLEY" stamp, and he confirmed that is a Holley stamp on the sheepfoot. Goins also indicates that large scale production at Holley ended in 1915. So maybe this is why Ray was able to get some Holley parts to use with the Northfield parts. Very interesting stuff.

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Well, I ended up discussing this knife at great length with the seller. He actually seems like quite a nice guy who wanted to learn about it, and is a knife enthusiast/ collector. He now understands that it is a Ray Platts concoction made from Northfield and Holley parts. I see it ended up selling for $179.50.

Herb

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”