C. PLATTS tang stamp

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Gatorfleas

C. PLATTS tang stamp

Post by Gatorfleas »

Ok guys and girls...I have R ecieved this jack ......I can find nothing on Platts family tang stamps .look it over and let me have....Thanks fleas
20200823_150922.jpg
20200823_150916.jpg
20200823_150851.jpg
20200823_150849.jpg
20200821_194904.jpg
20200823_150851.jpg
20200821_194743.jpg
20200821_194721.jpg
mcrunkin

Re: C. PLATTS tang stamp

Post by mcrunkin »

Your post says C. Platts. If you are referring to Charles Platts, eg. C. Platts & Sons, or C Platts' Sons I have never seen any blade from their time stamped like that. Could be wrong but it appears to be stamped yesterday ::shrug::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Fleas, on the 3rd picture, the larger blade seems to show some remnants of stamp, at least there are some marks that appear to be left over from a stamp.
Wish I could help, I've only had one marked with a Platts stamp and it was stamped PLATTS BROS. It was traded to a forum member several years ago.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

I believe it to be original. Joe Platts over stamped some northfield knives. if you look in sergeants early books there may be one like this. I think it's real. main tang stamp and blade may be in question. take better close ups.
Thanks, DC
just bob

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

just bob wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 am Look here;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Old-Vinta ... 7675.l2557
Did EBay seller mstorm change his seller name, or just add a new one? This looks to be the same style pictures, same hand holding the knives, same background, same location (Tucson, AZ), same seller. ::shrug::

Fleas, did you get your knife from this seller?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ebay knife sold Aug 16th and O.P. knife look to be the same knife. And as Ken has pointed out if it is an "mstorm" knife the chance of it being a fake/reworked knife is high, but not 100%. I think this seller does list some authentic old knives.
More knives marked "Platts" are needed for comparison.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

Did EBay seller mstorm change his seller name, or just add a new one? This looks to be the same style pictures, same hand holding the knives, same background, same location (Tucson, AZ), same seller. ::shrug::

Ken
[/quote]

This was posted a while back;

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=67398

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

This is the same seller as mstorm. The OP knife should certainly have the master blade stamped.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

just bob wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am Did EBay seller mstorm change his seller name, or just add a new one? This looks to be the same style pictures, same hand holding the knives, same background, same location (Tucson, AZ), same seller. ::shrug::

Ken

This was posted a while back;

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=67398
[/quote]
Thanks. I missed that. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

I think it is important to talk about the knife and not so much about the person selling the knife and berate them, BUT there are a handful of Ebay seller's where the buyers should use caution and do some research before spending the $ on a bag of magic beans. Like Roland says he does mix some really good older knives into his listings.

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

When a seller has mostly cobbled up knives trying to sell them as good needs to be talked about and berated.Just because he mixes in a few good knives is not reason to buy anything from him.These sellers should not be supported.
Everyone can have a knife slip by them that ain't right,but in his case the opposite is the norm.
Roger
celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

another thing to note is that these Platts stamped knives, whether real or not, never bring as much as an old Platts Eldred knife. I have a few knives stamped Platts N Field. This knife is also celluloid, so very unstable and the value of the knife would not be too much due to condition and celluloid.

Celluloid, is a time bomb.

The main blade not being marked is questionable. could be replaced although Ray Platts did grind the tang tamps off. need to hold the knife in my hand.

Take a look at page 132 of Gerald Witcher's Counterfeiting Antique cutlery book. it shows Ray's PLATTS marking from 1920-930 era. If you look on page 131 you will see the PLATTS N FIELD mark.
Thanks, DC

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”