Is this real or not??

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Hairbear1018

Is this real or not??

Post by Hairbear1018 »

I purchased this knife at a garage sale the seller couldn't tell me much, I got it home looks like it should be a 1920's by the mark, I started to research it more and heard some people talking about counterfeits I had NO idea there was even such a thing So now I'm worried about it because its in such good condition I would like some feed back from you that have much more experience with this I have attached some pictures if you could let me know what you think I would so much appreciate
IMG_0001 (13).JPG
IMG_0002 (13).JPG
IMG_0008 (8).JPG
IMG_0006 (9).JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this real or not??

Post by treefarmer »

1st of all ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
I suppose Case pocket knives were my first love when it come to knives. There are lots of fellers on AAPK that know a bunch more about Case knives than I do.
That said, something about the jigging on the handles bothers me, they don't look exactly right. I hope I'm not right. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Agreed, that jigging is off. Looks like it was done w/ a Dremel.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Most definitely a fake. Case jigging is random, never in straight rows like that one. Go to the Case Collectors subforum here viewforum.php?f=66 and look at pictures of real Case knives. You won’t find any, from any era, having jigging like that one. After that there’s no point looking further at the knife, but if you do the stamp appears cold stamped to me. It takes a more experienced eye to recognize a cold stamp so the stamp is the last thing to look at. 99% of them can be ruled good or bad before ever getting to the stamp. Unfortunately the stamp is the first thing, and often the only thing novices look at.

Don’t feel too bad. Most of us have been burnt at least once by counterfeits. It’s how we learn (now you know there are counterfeit knives).

Welcome to AAPK.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome aboard! I’m not your expert, but in addition to what the others have said, the spear blade doesn’t look right to me either. But, I’m very apt to be wrong.

Ken snuck in while I was typing. Looks like I got this one right for once.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Yep, fake.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Hairbear1018

Post by Hairbear1018 »

Thank you All for the feed back thats kind of what I was afraid of, I usually do have to pay for my education
but I love Case Knives so the more I learn the better of I am ...Thanks again
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

About 8 are 10 years ago China counterfeited Case Tested with that terrible jigging . I know bought the same knife at a show so someone else wouldn't get taken in on it have it some place if I can find it will post mine . Welcome to AAPK lot of knowledgeable guys on here ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Hairbear1018

Post by Hairbear1018 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:13 am Most definitely a fake. Case jigging is random, never in straight rows like that one. Go to the Case Collectors subforum here viewforum.php?f=66 and look at pictures of real Case knives. You won’t find any, from any era, having jigging like that one. After that there’s no point looking further at the knife, but if you do the stamp appears cold stamped to me. It takes a more experienced eye to recognize a cold stamp so the stamp is the last thing to look at. 99% of them can be ruled good or bad before ever getting to the stamp. Unfortunately the stamp is the first thing, and often the only thing novices look at.

Don’t feel too bad. Most of us have been burnt at least once by counterfeits. It’s how we learn (now you know there are counterfeit knives).

Welcome to AAPK.
Ken
Thanks for your time I appreciate your knowledge !!
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

I think you will also find that the blades are made of stainless steel ( not used on the Canoe pattern in the tested era ). I have seen the fake knives with the same jigging pattern on the 6488, the 6265, and the 6380. They were also made with the CASE/XX mark.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”