Primble made by Case?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Primble made by Case?

Post by just bob »

So Case made this knife for John Primble? Looks like the shield is a modern glue in - maybe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Old-Primb ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
case knife.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Primble made by Case?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Must be a graduate of the tommygg101 school of counterfeiting and B.S. story creation. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:51 pm Must be a graduate of the tommygg101 school of counterfeiting and B.S. story creation. ::facepalm::

Ken
He is.He posts as many,if not more counterfeits on EBay as anyone else. ::td:: ::td::
Roger
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Case did make some knives for Belknap Hardware with the John Primble trademark early in the XX era. A few patterns. They are quite rare. All of those that I have seen have a blank shield like that - most likely a normal Case shield pinned on backwards when the knives were made.

I have seen the C61050 SAB, 5279, and 5391.

That one is a 5347 Sh Sp.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I don't know enough to have an intelligent opinion as to fake or not but my main gripe with that seller is a lot of his knives are so heavily buffed all the sharp edges are gone, everything is rounded off, makes the knife worthless in my opinion.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I went back and looked at the pics of this knife. From what I can see this is a modern glue in shield. If the knife were from the early XX era it should have a shield with pins. It would be interesting to see if this shield were flipped out if there are holes for the pins still there. It also looks as if the shield isn't perfectly fit to the opening. IMO if it is an original knife it would be worth more with an original shield. Like Steve said maybe it was a reversed Case shield? Who knows? I also believe this seller does some knife repair work that he notes in some of his listings. Looks like he might have put the right shield in this?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

just bob wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:50 am I went back and looked at the pics of this knife. From what I can see this is a modern glue in shield. If the knife were from the early XX era it should have a shield with pins. It would be interesting to see if this shield were flipped out if there are holes for the pins still there. It also looks as if the shield isn't perfectly fit to the opening. IMO if it is an original knife it would be worth more with an original shield. Like Steve said maybe it was a reversed Case shield? Who knows? I also believe this seller does some knife repair work that he notes in some of his listings. Looks like he might have put the right shield in this?
How can you tell from the photos that it is a modern shield and how can you tell that it is glued in?
just bob

Post by just bob »

I'm not 100 % certain that it is a glue in shield. I have looked at the pics many times using the zoom feature and I don't see any indication of pins. I just pulled out an XX 52 pattern and there is a slight difference in the color between the shield and the pins and you can easily spot them. The ebay knife has been buffed and the natural grime has been removed. Also if you use the zoom feature you can see there are gaps around the shield, especially at the top end. That may or may not be an indication of a more modern glue in. Is anyone with younger eyes able to look at the pics and say for sure? Maybe someone on here bought the knife and will update us when they inspect it. While you're looking at this with the zoom feature look at the pic of the underside of the knife. The rocker pin hasn't been peened flush with the handle material on the pile side. It stands proud. You would think from years of use this would have worn flush. Does anyone else see this? Only my opinions and I respect the opinions of others.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”