Questionable Case Tested XX 6294 Red Bone

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
RalphAlsip

Questionable Case Tested XX 6294 Red Bone

Post by RalphAlsip »

This eBay knife listing is questionable to me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184223884534

It does look like a Case 6294, it is the Tested XX part that doesn't seem right to me. The stamp looks drawn instead of stamped. The pattern number looks right. The handles do not look right. If someone modified a Case XX 6294 to make it look like a Tested XX, it was stupid thing to do because a Case XX 6294 is pretty valuable.
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Questionable Case Tested XX 6294 Red Bone

Post by 1967redrider »

Sargent's lists a Tested 6294 Red Bone. My Bradford Green Bone is stamped like this-
Attachments
1585097756678211035278936073253.jpg
15850978193418331589757809940031.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Love that knife John! Post some more pictures if you would like. And to me the stamp in the original post almost looks engraved..jmo
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 am Love that knife John! Post some more pictures if you would like. And to me the stamp in the original post almost looks engraved..jmo

Here's a link, Ryan-

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=43896&p=440803&hil ... 94#p440803

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Thank you! Sweet old Case John!
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thank you! ::handshake::

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

For reference, this is one I don't find questionable.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 6294 Red #3 small.jpg
Case Tested XX 6294 Red #4 small.jpg
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

RalphAlsip wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 am For reference, this is one I don't find questionable.
The only thing questionable about your knife is why it ain’t in my display!!🤣
Beautiful knife!
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I know collectors say these Tested red bone knives exist and are correct but I initially view any such knives as suspicious. In order for these knives to be correct they would have to leap several time lines in production. The time line between green bone and red bone handles simply does not coincide with red bone being on Tested stamped knives. Red bone came along well after XX stamped green bone and likewise Tested knives were out of normal production. Further you normally only find only the very earliest Tested stamped knives from the 20's to have pattern numbers and these knives normally have very early handle materials for Case knives to include Rogers bone, green bone and early patterned celluloids. I am not one to say never and it is possible that Case employees could have stamped these blades as Tested and put pattern numbers on them or pulled the blades from old stock years after Tested stamped and green bone handled knives had largely gone out of production but I view it as unlikely.

In a current search for Tested red bone Case knives on eBay only one older "vintage folding knife" comes up on a search and it is an outright fake shown here. Long pull (definitely incorrect) on an 80 pattern whittler that has severely pocket worn handles and a new master blade. Note the new Tested blade is the only one of three that appears to be unused.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-long-tail ... Sw-s5dWnrX

Interesting that the seller of the OP knife also has this terrible fake CASE BROS CUT CO knife for sale. The seller says the knife has been re-handled but I would say it is an all original fake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-BROS-CUT- ... Sw8hRePuTP
Attachments
6380 LP.jpg
6380 LP2.jpg
CASE BROS CUT CO.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I would always be suspicious of any tested knife with that shield and a pattern number.

Harold
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

So the thinking is that the original post knife is a newly made blade with a tang stamp from a newly made die to tang stamp the blade to make the whole thing look old? Wow, what scammers won't do to make a buck.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m not sure what to think of it. The OP (Jerry) says it’s possibly a XX knife which someone changed to appear to be a Tested knife. To my eye the shield looks okay, could be from the late Tested era. The handle covers are curious for a Tested knife, both the jigging and the color. And as Harold has pointed out it’s uncommon for a Tested knife to have a pattern number stamped on it. Not impossible, just not often seen. Having multiple blades stamped “Tested” is not unusual especially on early Tested knives, but this one doesn’t fit that anyway. Last but not least is the tang stamp which I agree looks suspicious.

I sure wouldn’t spend the kind of money being asked for it. (Well, to be honest I don’t swim in that pool anyway. ::facepalm:: ) :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”