Pretty obvious huh!!!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Hillbilly70

Pretty obvious huh!!!!

Post by Hillbilly70 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940-1 ... 3765402511

Photos added by Administrator for future reference.
Attachments
Fake Case Tang Stamp .jpg
Fake Case .jpg
Fake Case Shield .jpg
Steve Warden

Re: Pretty obvious huh!!!!

Post by Steve Warden »

Forgive my rant, but it really irks me when someone makes a statement like yours, then just walks away. While I've learned a lot, there are just so many patterns and variations I still don't know. And how about the folks new to collecting? I doubt it's obvious to them. A statement like that makes one feel like, "Wow. I must be pretty ignorant because I have no clue what is so obviously wrong with that knife."

Go ahead and make the statement, then please elaborate about the "obvious" to us clueless know-nots.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Thank you, Hillbilly for pointing this counterfeit knife to us ::tu::

First wrong with knife is the jigging on the handles. Case never made anything close to that
Second is the nail nick on the blades are way off from anything I’ve ever seen on a Case knife
Third the tang stamps are terribly wrong

Please before bidding on an old knife do your homework or ask anyone here about it
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

One of the benefits of AAPK is the great examples of honest knives posted here. Whenever there is doubt concerning authenticity of a knife for sale somewhere, like on eBay or elsewhere, one can usually find comparable honest examples here on AAPK. That is why it is important to learn how to use the search capability here. Then use it to find and compare the knives.

If you’re like me, at first you may not see the differences. But after a while you begin to pick up on the details that tell the difference between a fake and the real deal. Different kinds of shields, jigging, bone colors differ across time. Blade shape, shape and location of nail nicks, all are things to look for. The last thing I would look at is the stamps - often they are inconclusive. Once you know what the ”tells” are, they can usually be detected by comparing knives with known good ones here on AAPK. ::nod::

Eventually you reach the point that you know without comparing that the knife is fake. Having said all that, understand that sometimes it’s not possible to tell with absolute certainty. But the obvious ones like the OP knife can be readily eliminated. It’s nice to have someone point out the differences (and in no way am I saying they shouldn’t) but that’s a lot like peeking at another student’s test to get your answers. It’s unlikely you learned the answers yourself unless you have studied the subject. JMO

For posterity here’s the OP knife. ::barf::

Ken
Attachments
0EAF1E9C-8798-4827-9EDF-2F9132EA0C02.jpeg
3EB3C71D-AD06-48C7-B5A4-BF8D67C7CAFE.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Wow, another example of the infamous "Alligator" jigging. ::barf::

Case used this on their garbage line of pocket knives. ::skeptic::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Steve Warden wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am Forgive my rant, but it really irks me when someone makes a statement like yours, then just walks away. While I've learned a lot, there are just so many patterns and variations I still don't know. And how about the folks new to collecting? I doubt it's obvious to them. A statement like that makes one feel like, "Wow. I must be pretty ignorant because I have no clue what is so obviously wrong with that knife."
I myself would also like to learn from you guys that have much more experience and knowledge than I do. Since joining this site, I've gotten pretty good at spotting the fake Case knives, but still need more information, especially on the other brands like Ka-Bar, Remington, Ulster, and Camillus.

So I too, just like Steve, ::nod:: kindly ask that when you post about a counterfeit knife, share your knowledge so that we too can retain this valuable information.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Great suggestions, help us all learn. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:31 pm Wow, another example of the infamous "Alligator" jigging. ::barf::

I've always called this Tennessee rattlesnake bone.
Most of these knives seem to come out of Tennessee.
Tim
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Beavertail wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:40 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:31 pm Wow, another example of the infamous "Alligator" jigging. ::barf::

Must have made quite a few, usually I see this in the large toothpick/tickler pattern. ::facepalm::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

Sorry for posting guys!! I saw it as across the room fake! I’m no expert at all I seek advise often !! I surly didn’t mean to ruin someone’s day for lack of details!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Hillbilly70 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm Sorry for posting guys!! I saw it as across the room fake! I’m no expert at all I seek advise often !! I surly didn’t mean to ruin someone’s day for lack of details!
Actually I appreciate this thread. I always look at the posts in the Counterfeit Watch section. But even though I have been hanging around here for a while, I do not claim to be able to spot a fake across the room, and possibly even if it were in my hand. I think that the point of some of the posts here is that some of us folks need a bit of guidance to figure out what is wrong with a knife.

I do think that a knowledgeable poster should be aware of the possibility that the majority of folks who read his post will not be knowledgeable. To me, one of the most appealing aspects of this forum is way that folks who actually know stuff share their knowledge without condescension.
Mel
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Dinadan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:26 pm
Hillbilly70 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm Sorry for posting guys!! I saw it as across the room fake! I’m no expert at all I seek advise often !! I surly didn’t mean to ruin someone’s day for lack of details!
Actually I appreciate this thread. I always look at the posts in the Counterfeit Watch section. But even though I have been hanging around here for a while, I do not claim to be able to spot a fake across the room, and possibly even if it were in my hand. I think that the point of some of the posts here is that some of us folks need a bit of guidance to figure out what is wrong with a knife.

I do think that a knowledgeable poster should be aware of the possibility that the majority of folks who read his post will not be knowledgeable. To me, one of the most appealing aspects of this forum is way that folks who actually know stuff share their knowledge without condescension.
I'm with Mel in that I keep an eye here on the Counterfeit Watch. It's one source of education for me. But I need to know what I'm looking at and looking for. I'm not going to get that info if no one says anything.
To those who have freely shared your knowledge, I bow to you and thank you.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
just bob

Post by just bob »

I've always heard this referred to as Japanese jigging and there is a story behind that. Supposedly back in the 1980's a very well known name in knife importing was having scads of knives made in Japan and got to be really friendly with the executives there. He challenged them to come up with Case knife clones to see how good their knife making skills were. I don't know how many but a few knives in several different patterns were sent back to America. These were never intended to become available to the general public. It is thought they were given out to friends and other members of the knife community as a curiosity. Over time as these people have passed away these knives have shown up for sale. Now as then a serious collector would never buy one to be original, but the Internet has changed the nature of knife marketing and you no longer buy knives exclusively from reputable dealers. In fact most ebay sellers are very uninformed on knife authenticity. This should all be filed under knife lore and was a story I heard from a man that heard it from another man that had a second cousin that worked at the Case cutlery in the 1980's. You know how that goes.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Dinadan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:26 pm
Hillbilly70 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm
[/quote
I totally agree. If it was any different, I would definitely use this site less. Part of the fun having the knowledge is to share it
in a fun way

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

just bob wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:10 am I've always called this Tennessee rattlesnake bone.
Thanks for the info, Bob, it does make sense and seems like something that could have happened. I know of whom you are referring to. ::doh::

Those nail nicks are horrendous. ::barf::

Case XX 6383
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Case XX 6383 »

I live in greeneville TN and frequent this shop. I went by yesterday to tell them about the fakes and actually held these knives they were aware they were fake. they told me they could not end the bids since they had bids. I call bs but it's not my feedback
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Well, it looks like it sold for $173.60. Someone got a "great deal"! :(
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The jigging on these fakes is unique in that the jigging rows and columns are concentric. You will not find Case knives with this type of jigging that forms straight lines of perpendicular rows and columns . The overly large nail nicks are also a common denominator of these import fakes. Patterns you will find from this same fake Case ilk are the congress pen, 80 pattern whittlers, toothpicks, copperheads and canoes as well as others. You will find these fakes in both XX and Tested stamps.

Look at the examples posted here and note that the jigging patterns will form perpendicular lines if drawn between the rows and columns. Roughly glazed finishes on blades can also be a common denominator. Also note that they all look new because they are new.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concentric
Attachments
concentric jigging.jpg
6380 test.jpg
cf copperhead.jpg
cf stk.jpg
88-1.jpg
6380b.jpg
62131.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are some comparison pictures of blades and handles from a good Case XX 6488 and a bad Case XX 6488. The component in the top image in all of the attachments came from the same knife. Likewise, the component in the bottom image in all of the attachments came from the same knife.

Who can't determine which one is the good one and which one is the bad one?
Attachments
Case XX 6488 Handle.jpg
Case XX 6488 Blade 1.jpg
Case XX 6488 Blade 2.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The last 2 posts above are a big help in spotting these fake Case knives. Thank you Wayne & 'Ralph'.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

btrwtr wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:54 pm The jigging on these fakes is unique in that the jigging rows and columns are concentric. You will not find Case knives with this type of jigging that forms straight lines of perpendicular rows and columns. . .
That's why I call it Alligator jigging, it reminds me of the pattern alligator skin has. Nice photo collection of these miscreant cobble-jobs. ::tu:: ::barf::

just bob

Post by just bob »

Like others have said I'm very appreciative of those that take the time to post great pictures and give us in depth information on the knives discussed in this forum.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

This has been one of the most informative threads on counterfeit knives I've seen...especially for Case knives. This is information I 'tweak' into the back of my mind, so that when I'm at estate sales, auction houses, flea markets, etc., I'll be more informed to make a good decision on whether to buy a particular knife or not. Thanks to all who provided a vast array of descriptions and things to look for. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

See this thread for more information on this type of counterfeit knife.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64958&hilit=concentric&start=15
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Thanks for the post, I am NOT very good at spotting the fakes, at least in photos. If I get a fake in my and I have a better chance to "feel the fakeness" of it. So thanks to you guys for putting the info out there. ::nod:: I try and follow the discussion and learn a little bit. ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”