Pretty obvious huh!!!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Case XX 6383
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pretty obvious huh!!!!

Post by Case XX 6383 »

I live in greeneville TN and frequent this shop. I went by yesterday to tell them about the fakes and actually held these knives they were aware they were fake. they told me they could not end the bids since they had bids. I call bs but it's not my feedback
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Well, it looks like it sold for $173.60. Someone got a "great deal"! :(
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The jigging on these fakes is unique in that the jigging rows and columns are concentric. You will not find Case knives with this type of jigging that forms straight lines of perpendicular rows and columns . The overly large nail nicks are also a common denominator of these import fakes. Patterns you will find from this same fake Case ilk are the congress pen, 80 pattern whittlers, toothpicks, copperheads and canoes as well as others. You will find these fakes in both XX and Tested stamps.

Look at the examples posted here and note that the jigging patterns will form perpendicular lines if drawn between the rows and columns. Roughly glazed finishes on blades can also be a common denominator. Also note that they all look new because they are new.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concentric
Attachments
concentric jigging.jpg
6380 test.jpg
cf copperhead.jpg
cf stk.jpg
88-1.jpg
6380b.jpg
62131.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are some comparison pictures of blades and handles from a good Case XX 6488 and a bad Case XX 6488. The component in the top image in all of the attachments came from the same knife. Likewise, the component in the bottom image in all of the attachments came from the same knife.

Who can't determine which one is the good one and which one is the bad one?
Attachments
Case XX 6488 Handle.jpg
Case XX 6488 Blade 1.jpg
Case XX 6488 Blade 2.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The last 2 posts above are a big help in spotting these fake Case knives. Thank you Wayne & 'Ralph'.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

btrwtr wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:54 pm The jigging on these fakes is unique in that the jigging rows and columns are concentric. You will not find Case knives with this type of jigging that forms straight lines of perpendicular rows and columns. . .
That's why I call it Alligator jigging, it reminds me of the pattern alligator skin has. Nice photo collection of these miscreant cobble-jobs. ::tu:: ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
just bob

Post by just bob »

Like others have said I'm very appreciative of those that take the time to post great pictures and give us in depth information on the knives discussed in this forum.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

This has been one of the most informative threads on counterfeit knives I've seen...especially for Case knives. This is information I 'tweak' into the back of my mind, so that when I'm at estate sales, auction houses, flea markets, etc., I'll be more informed to make a good decision on whether to buy a particular knife or not. Thanks to all who provided a vast array of descriptions and things to look for. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

See this thread for more information on this type of counterfeit knife.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64958&hilit=concentric&start=15
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Hillbilly70 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm Sorry for posting guys!! I saw it as across the room fake! I’m no expert at all I seek advise often !! I surly didn’t mean to ruin someone’s day for lack of details!
Thanks for the post, I am NOT very good at spotting the fakes, at least in photos. If I get a fake in my and I have a better chance to "feel the fakeness" of it. So thanks to you guys for putting the info out there. ::nod:: I try and follow the discussion and learn a little bit. ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 am See this thread for mor information on this type of counterfeit knife.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64958&hilit=concentric&start=15
Thanks! ::handshake:: I just checked the thread, good info! ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

There is some validity to this story Bob but you didn't get "the rest of the story". The heir apparent, to this knife company owner, decided to raise the old tested patterns from the dead and went so far as to have the Japanese stamp out several blades congruent to the old patterns. When he received the blades from the Japanese they were well done but had an obvious flaw that could be easily recognized by knife collectors. As the story goes he filed these would be tested blades in the reject pile. You that know knives are now seeing these rejects blades being placed in legit Case frames and sold on ebay and knife shows as made from old parts. LOOK CLOSELY AT THE TANG STAMP........dead give-away.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”