Case 62055 Fake? Your Thoughts Please!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case 62055 Fake? Your Thoughts Please!

Post by herbva »

I just received this 62055 from an auction I won on the bay, and I think, at the very least, the clip has been replaced and probably is a fake. But, before I get my panties in a wad and contact the seller, I would like your opinions, please. I just got it about 20 minutes ago, but what I see so far: The clip is the wrong shape, has no swedge at all, and has been heavily ground down. The curve between the tip and the nail mark is, for lack of a better description, way too curvy. Also, I can see where the back of the clip where the tang starts has been altered by filing or grinding to match up with the end of the spring. The "CASE XX" lettering just doesn't look right. I've looked at a bunch of my other CASE XX's and none have this type of font. The letters seem a little crooked, too fat, sharp, deep and perhaps are newly struck. Maybe there is a burn mark from heating right where the "XX" is. The pen doesn't match the clip at all, and is just what I would expect from a knife of this age, some pitting and it has a smooth surface. Also, the clip has a strong 1/2 stop and the pen has no 1/2 stop, and the other 2 - 055"s I own have no 1/2 stops on either blade. However, I don't see any evidence of this knife having been disassembled to replace the clip. Also, the clip is about 1/4" short, but I don't see the usual characteristics of a blade that has had a broken tip. ::teary_eyes:: Thanks for your input!
Attachments
DSCN9909.JPG
DSCN9905.JPG
DSCN9891.JPG
DSCN9892.JPG
DSCN9895.JPG
DSCN9898.JPG
DSCN9900.JPG
DSCN9902.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case 62055 Fake? Your Thoughts Please!

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Boy Herb you may be right. At the very least I would say that someone buffed the blades but used something different on each blade. That main blade has a lot of stripes from top of the spine to the edge and the other one doesn’t. So makes me wonder if this has been replaced? Otherwise, why would you buff them differently? Curious what others think.
Plus that area around the pins where they spun the pins looks fresh.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

Any possibility the master blade has been welded at the tang? There's a lot of that going around.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My speculation is that it is a legit XX 62055 and the clip blade was buffed, but the tang was not buffed. I believe the XX 055 clip blade did not have swedge, although the Tested XX 055 clip blade does have a swedge. I will take a closer look and share pictures this evening.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks everyone. Ralph, I have a Tested 055 and a Case XX USA 055 and both have swedges on the clip. I just looked in Steve's book, and a Case XX 22055 pictured on the bottom of the page devoted to the 055 (page 198 in my copy), clearly has swedges on the clip. This knife has none, absolutely square on the spine all the way back past the pull.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

It has a USA shield instead of the correct XX shield ::td::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Just to finish what I started with regard to the blade... I see other comments about the rest of the knife (shield, etc.) that rightly cast doubt on the knife.

The blade seems to compare favorably to blades from a couple of XX 055's that I have. I also included a Tested blade for reference. It is fully possible that my knives are not authentic and that's why they compare favorably.

With regard to swedges, they seem more common on long pull blades than they do on regular pull blades.
Attachments
Case XX 055 Compare #2.jpg
Case XX 055 Compare #1.jpg
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ralph, and everyone else, thank you very much for your help. As always, a thorough and very informative analysis! I doubt that any of your knives are fakes, and thanks to your help, I suspect that the clip of the OP knife that I received has been heavily ground or had a long, hot date with an abrasive belt sander, and was reshaped or reprofiled a bit due to a broken tip. Now that I've had time to more carefully examine this knife, I find that the clip has grind marks all over, including on the underside of the tang on the "kick". (Pictures attached.) I'm still puzzzled over that. If the seller sheds any light on this in response to my refund request, I will share that info. Again, your help is very much appreciated. Best regards and happy holidays! Herb
Attachments
DSCN9912.JPG
DSCN9914.JPG

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

FYI, the seller plead ignorance - i.e. he doesn't even bother to look at what he is selling. "I do not know the history of the knife. We buy collections, piece them out, and sell them. They come from all over." ::td::

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

herbva wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:47 pm FYI, the seller plead ignorance - i.e. he doesn't even bother to look at what he is selling. "I do not know the history of the knife. We buy collections, piece them out, and sell them. They come from all over." ::td::
I see nothing unusual about it. Many sellers do exactly that - just buy and flip anything and everything. They know little or nothing about what they’re selling, or just do minimal research to create a listing. Been going on forever, way before the internet or eBay existed. It’s up to the buyer to decide. And then there are the ones that make up outlandish BS stories about the merchandise.

Caveat emptor!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”