Does this look like a real "Keen Kutter"

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
CampbellAr2

Does this look like a real "Keen Kutter"

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Appreciate any feedback! Bear with me....I'm new to this and mainly focus on Remington in my collecting.

Bought this at a Pawn shop last week for $15. In general this is an older knife appearing to be close to a Keen Kutter 766, with the newer tang stamps. Blades appear to be ok but its a bit rough.

What is throwing me off is the poor fit of the celluoid/plastic scales and the narrower bolsters vs other 766 examples out there. Also, the springs do not match with each other. I know little to nothing about Keen Kutters except they were bought and licensed multiple times, and there are multiple fake examples as well. May also have been someone's past attempt at a repair.

Im attaching the tang stamp (#1) and knife pic (#2)
Attachments
KeenKutter_766_Jack1.jpg
KeenKutter_766_Jack2.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Does this look like a real "Keen Kutter"

Post by 1967redrider »

The plastic will shrink, do you have a picture of the spring issue?

Can't find a picture of a 766 in Sellens' or Sargent's books. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

It looks authentic to me. I learned after I bought a collection of Keen Kutters that there are a great many that are not in the books. I have seen them with two different size springs as well, that isn’t unusual at all. I found that a lot of KK’s have been repaired and think that just speaks to how long this brand has been around.
The handles look like plastic material or Delrin. Both will shrink up over time. Hope this helps. I’m sure there are others who have a lot more knowledge bout KK’s.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Thanks for the replies ....Please disregard my comments on the spring. I bought several knifes and got my this one confused with a Schrade Walden I also bought.....too many knives

When I was comparing knives, I came across this past AAPK listing from you (Sharpnshinyknives) on a 766, but the relative size of the bolsters doesn't seem to jive with mine.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... and-later-

Thanks
Ed
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Too many knives??? Heresy! I bought two, a Case and a Remington (Camillus) on the same day last week!

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”