Aurum Prototype?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
destro4822

Aurum Prototype?

Post by destro4822 »

First time posting anything here so sorry if anything isn't right. Anyways I came across this ebay listing while doing some research on a box of knives that I recently purchased. For the life of me I cannot find another image anywhere of an Aurum knife that isn't etched. This guy has one and I have one. New to knife collecting in general and wouldn't want to pass along some garbage. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-of-100-Made- ... SwNqRcHmyI
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Aurum Prototype?

Post by Railsplitter »

I can't provide any feedback but I find this is very interesting. I never knew much about Aurum and I certainly didn't know they made any knives.

I have one Aurum etched Buck knife but I never expected to see an actual Aurum brand knife. Thank you for sharing this and welcome to AAPK.
Attachments
IMG_3714.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Railsplitter wrote:I can't provide any feedback but I find this is very interesting. I never knew much about Aurum and I certainly didn't know they made any knives.

I have one Aurum etched Buck knife but I never expected to see an actual Aurum brand knife. Thank you for sharing this and welcome to AAPK.
How do you come to know that is an AURUM knife by the etch?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

TripleF wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:I can't provide any feedback but I find this is very interesting. I never knew much about Aurum and I certainly didn't know they made any knives.

How do you come to know that is an AURUM knife by the etch?
Scott, it's not an Aurum knife. Just a Buck Knife with an etch done by Aurum. They come with a COA stating that Aurum did the etch. In the link below is an example.

You have to look real close but that yellow card states "Blade etch by Aurum" in the lower right corner.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knife-701 ... SwIG1dCp76

Mine has a similar COA. I just don't have a picture of it.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
destro4822

Post by destro4822 »

I live in the same area as the Alcas Olean, NY facility. So it is very possible tha this knife made its way to me through someone that either worked there or a friend of a friend. In my picture you can see how similar the handles are between the so called Aurum Proto and my Case XX P1051 1/2. Well if it turns out to be authentic than I believe thats a pretty good find for new guy!
Attachments
20190813_095943.jpg
20190813_102236.jpg
20190813_102302.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I read the eBay seller's description, and the purported letter from the former president of Aurum. My conclusion is he is selling an un-etched knife made for a company known solely for its etching. ::doh:: If so why is that worthy of a premium price he is asking? ::shrug:: Looks to me like a $50 EDC. And probably too big to EDC at that. JMO.

What am I missing?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I read the eBay seller's description, and the purported letter from the former president of Aurum. My conclusion is he is selling an un-etched knife made for a company known solely for its etching. ::doh:: If so why is that worthy of a premium price he is asking? ::shrug:: Looks to me like a $50 EDC. And probably too big to EDC at that. JMO.

What am I missing?

Ken
X2.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”