another fake bowie

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Gunsil

another fake bowie

Post by Gunsil »

Been some discussion about fakes lately, here's one that some poor soul lost $800 on. The maker's mark is improper, the blade is a modern bowie fake type of blade with a very short saber grind with a very tall flat, reverse of what old bowies have. The handle is from an old kitchen carving set as is commonly seen on fake bowies. Our old pal Mstorm on the bay has been selling a few similarly made fake bowies recently also. You will have to go to "view original item" to view this one since the auction ended this AM.

https://ebay.us/kmUoCK
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: another fake bowie

Post by 98src »

Well, at least , he said it was a COPY and he offers a money back guarantee.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Hey, isn't that a "Martha Stewart" handle? :mrgreen:
Joe
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Here is a photo for posterity.
Attachments
Bowie.jpg
Mel
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

98src wrote:Well, at least , he said it was a COPY and he offers a money back guarantee.
He also says he may be mistaken in his calling it a copy. It isn't a copy anyways, Woodhead never made a knife like that other than the fact it is a large bowie type of knife. This seller has sold these before and likely will again and he always uses vague ideas such as " a copy from the 40s" and "I may be mistaken" when I'm pretty sure he knows it is a fake from the 1970-1990s. Main point though is that some poor person spent 800 bucks and I am sure they didn't think it was a "copy". I also sometimes like to show these because it may help others avoid the pitfalls of fake knives and this one shows many bad attributes.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

FRJ wrote:Hey, isn't that a "Martha Stewart" handle? :mrgreen:
Joe, don't tell me you have a Martha Stewart catalog!! (LOL)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Gunsil wrote:
FRJ wrote:Hey, isn't that a "Martha Stewart" handle? :mrgreen:
Joe, don't tell me you have a Martha Stewart catalog!! (LOL)
I think that's the knife that was smuggled to her in prison. ::woot::
Joe
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Gunsil wrote:
98src wrote:Well, at least , he said it was a COPY and he offers a money back guarantee.
He also says he may be mistaken in his calling it a copy. It isn't a copy anyways, Woodhead never made a knife like that other than the fact it is a large bowie type of knife. This seller has sold these before and likely will again and he always uses vague ideas such as " a copy from the 40s" and "I may be mistaken" when I'm pretty sure he knows it is a fake from the 1970-1990s. Main point though is that some poor person spent 800 bucks and I am sure they didn't think it was a "copy". I also sometimes like to show these because it may help others avoid the pitfalls of fake knives and this one shows many bad attributes.
I do not like this seller.He makes out he not a knife expert but sells a lot of knives on Ebay.
He is the one of these sellers with a vague description selling knives with USA under the name on the tang stamp knowing the knives were made in China.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The way I look at this problem with the fake Bowie knives is that there is only ONE real Bowie knife, the one that Jim Bowie supposedly used at the Alamo. All others are fakes. The chances that someone is selling the original that Bowie used at the Alamo is so close to zero, that it can't even be calculated. So I avoid them all. That is my plan and I am sticking to it. lol
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:The way I look at this problem with the fake Bowie knives is that there is only ONE real Bowie knife, the one that Jim Bowie supposedly used at the Alamo. All others are fakes. The chances that someone is selling the original that Bowie used at the Alamo is so close to zero, that it can't even be calculated. So I avoid them all. That is my plan and I am sticking to it. lol
I consider "The Bowie knife" made famous by Jim to be the one his brother, Rezin, made/had made that Jim used in the Sandbar Fight back in 1821. All others are just wanna-be's. And no one knows what happened to that one either. It looked like what it was - a big butcher knife. (According to Rezin's own description of it.)

Jim carried a variety of "Bowie knives" between 1821 and 1836. Every knife Jim or Rezin ever carried was a "Bowie knife". No one knows what the knife (or knives - it has been reported that Jim carried more than one) was that Jim had in San Antonio.

Both Jim and Rezin frequently had knives made to give away.

Until someone comes up with a video with sound along with 4 documents notarized by Sam Houston, showing Jim actually carrying a knife, I will remain extremely skeptical that a knife is "Jim's knife".
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:The way I look at this problem with the fake Bowie knives is that there is only ONE real Bowie knife, the one that Jim Bowie supposedly used at the Alamo. All others are fakes. The chances that someone is selling the original that Bowie used at the Alamo is so close to zero, that it can't even be calculated. So I avoid them all. That is my plan and I am sticking to it. lol
I may be wrong, but I think that the knife that made Bowie and Knife a phrase was the knife that Jim Bowie used in the duel in which he participated on a sandbar in the Mississippi River in 1829. The duelists met on the sandbar because it was in the river between Louisiana and Mississippi and more or less not in the legal jurisdiction of either state. Bowie was not a principal in the duel, but was present as a supporter on one the principals. Altogether, seventeen men met on the sandbar, including five doctors. Interestingly, one of the supporters of the other duelist, Major Norris Wright, had shot and wounded Bowie in a previous encounter. The actual duelists each fired two shots each and neither scored a hit. but within a minute or two their supporters met in a brawl that lasted for perhaps a minute or two. Bowie was shot in the hip at the beginning of the brawl but got back on his feet and met Wright, who shot at him and missed. Bowie sustained a blow to the head the head by another man's pistol that sent him to his knees and Wright then used his sword cane to wound Bowie in the chest. Bowie then grabbed Wright's shirt and yanked him down and fatally stabbed him with his knife. Wright died instantly and Bowie was then shot again by another brawler and managed to sever part of the shooters forearm. At the end of the fight two men were dead, one from each party, and several were wounded. And the knife that Jim Bowie used was immortalized!
Mel
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This is from LG-IV, published in 1997 or 98.

If anything has occurred in the interim to alter Levine’s opinion, I am not aware of it.

Charlie
Attachments
19140D58-024F-4C11-ABFA-5807DF4FE3B9.jpeg
174A4147-A2DE-41E8-BB89-7BD6D4F6ADC3.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Looks more like a short sword, not what I imagine when I think of a Bowie knife.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

As Levine mentioned in the article, it is similar to, but not consistent with Rezin's description of the original knife. This knife appears to have a blade length closer to 12 inches."

The "apparent" deviation from Rezin's description is the length.

As excerpted from Rezin's description in a letter to the "Planter's Advocate" dated August 24, 1834 --

"The length of the blade was nine and one-quarters inches, its width one and one-half inches, single edged and not curved."

I suspect that this knife would be "Bowie's knife, version 2.0". Either that or Rezin mis-remembered the blade length 14 or 15 years after it was made.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for posting that, Charlie. That knife looks like it might be capable of severing a man's forearm. Very no frills, frontier looking.
Mel
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

One can never be too careful or cautious when buying a Bowie - there were so many fakes because it could be a worthwhile big money making SCAM... the OP knife stamp as Gene noted is just plain wrong - even the street number is wrong :lol: - it was “36” not 55 ::nod::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”