How prevalent is knife counterfeiting?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Robo

Re: How prevalent is knife counterfeiting?

Post by Robo »

Maddogfl wrote:I have a perfect strategy for avoiding faked knives. I only buy knives that no one would be interested in owning, much less faking.
You said it, brother! Thanks for Sharing.
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

I find it helps to know who you are buying from ,it means you may not find what your hunting for today ,but to me its the hunt ,not the find. I hope this makes sence. ::hmm::
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Unfortunately the more it is worth , the more people want to counterfeit it. I have spent a lifetime around old guns and Winchester model 12, 28 gauges are one to beware off, I think their are more countefeits than real ones. And there are good ones! As the price got up to over $4000 they came out of the woodwork. I donot know the answer to the question, just do your homework and deal only with well known sellers. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

This 1978 Case stamp doesn't look right to me. The placing of the word Case looks too high or close to the edge of the tang, the USA, the huge dots. All looks off to me. Any thoughts others who are Case aficionados? Thanks for any comments you might have.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... ce-is-mint
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:03 am This 1978 Case stamp doesn't look right to me.
Even without grabbing my legit '78 Case Trapper for a comparison, it looks off to me, too. In addition to all the points you hit, the dots look too far apart. I hope we're wrong, though.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks fine to me. Nothing unusual about the stamp or those dots on that pattern. Nice knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I agree with Ken. Looks ok.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 am Nothing unusual about the stamp or those dots on that pattern.
Italics added by me. Is that sort of stamp particular to that pattern, or are there others that could be expected to have such stamps?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have two 64047s from 1978. One has dots similar to the knife in question, the other has two dots more narrowly spaced. Not sure how prevalent that is, but the point is, I’ve seen it before. ::nod::

BTW here’s a picture of the same pattern, year 1978 “authority knife” from knifedb.com which is an excellent resource for Case knives of all ages. I hope the site owner will forgive me “borrowing” the picture. ::facepalm:: He owes me a dinner anyway so maybe this will cancel that out! :lol: As you can see the stamp looks just like the one being questioned in the prior posts. Note there are no periods in U S A - a lot of 1978 stamps are like that whereas others do have periods in U.S.A.

Ken
Attachments
7DCC6492-FE3E-4608-8755-1E1717DA0EE2.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

I came to AAPK not long ago to sell my personal property !! Mind my own business and offer some Beautiful Knives to the members here !! And selling is what I’m doing at a Alarming Rate !! But I did not come here to see my personal property put on display in a Counterfeit Room !!!
I want to Thank the gentleman ( Ken ) who went Far and Above to defend my personal property !! And I mean that Sincerely Sir !!
The original poster and his cohort didn’t just attacked my personal property, As my personal property is a extension of myself !!
After seeing this !! I may have to rethink selling here and return to EBay which I’m sure wouldn’t be a Big Disappointment to the other sellers here :lol: I have let’s say a few thousand Pocket Knives and Fixed Blades to Sell and I am in Control of who says and does what !! TY Again Ken for a Superior defense of my property and myself !!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Starting in the mid 70's for some unknown reason, some percentage of Case stamps had stamps that were larger with dots that were more widely spaced. While others from the same years were stamped with the more "normal" appearing stamps.

No one is going to fake a 78 stamp anyway. Not enough $$ for the trouble.

The only 70's stamp that is likely to be faked is a 10 dot stamp on some knives (or a nine dot for the Cheetah) but these fakes in my experience are few and far between.

The knife that is in question ('78 6232) is a fine knife, actually a rare "transition" knife. In '78, Case changed the 32 pattern from the old style 32 (3-5/8" closed with square tangs/half stops) to the new 62032 (3-1/2" closed with round tangs).

About 5,000 of the new 62032 tooled knives were made with the old 6232 stamp before Case changed the pattern number stamp to 62032.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sweetpieces4you wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:51 pm I came to AAPK not long ago to sell my personal property !! Mind my own business and offer some Beautiful Knives to the members here !! And selling is what I’m doing at a Alarming Rate !! But I did not come here to see my personal property put on display in a Counterfeit Room !!!
I want to Thank the gentleman ( Ken ) who went Far and Above to defend my personal property !! And I mean that Sincerely Sir !!
The original poster and his cohort didn’t just attacked my personal property, As my personal property is a extension of myself !!
After seeing this !! I may have to rethink selling here and return to EBay which I’m sure wouldn’t be a Big Disappointment to the other sellers here :lol: I have let’s say a few thousand Pocket Knives and Fixed Blades to Sell and I am in Control of who says and does what !! TY Again Ken for a Superior defense of my property and myself !!!
I wouldn’t think it was personal. It’s frequently encouraged here to ask questions if in doubt. We’re all here to learn, and we try to protect each other from incorrect knives. Most of us are continually learning. I’m happy to share what little I know (or think I know ::facepalm:: ). I’m glad you have a legitimate knife that was readily defendable. Had it not been I would have said so - whether it is here, on eBay or elsewhere.

If someone questions one of your knives I understand why you might feel it attacks your personal integrity. But even honest sellers can make a mistake occasionally. It’s the repeat offenders, making and selling counterfeits, who cause buyers to be skeptical of every knife and ask questions when in doubt. We should all, buyers and sellers alike, direct our anger toward those repeat purveyors of counterfeits. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Sweetpieces4you wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:51 pm The original poster and his cohort didn’t just attacked my personal property, As my personal property is a extension of myself !!
I am far from expert, and working with a limited sample when it comes to Case knives more than a decade old. There are still many for me to see, and much for me to learn.

That being said, my comments were not intended as an attack against you, your wares, or your integrity. I'm sorry they came across in that manner.
USN 2000-2006
Sweetpieces4you

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:19 am
Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:03 am This 1978 Case stamp doesn't look right to me.
Even without grabbing my legit '78 Case Trapper for a comparison, it looks off to me, too.
Sweetpieces4you

Along with this “Legit” statement and now your response of not owning many case knives older than 10 yrs old :shock: in my opinion you should not be responding to, or giving your opinions to anything regarding knives !! In essence you have No Knowledge whatsoever regarding case knives !! Instead of postings and responses you should be reading and learning what this site has to offer !! And that goes for the original poster of my property as well !! I do however appreciate your apology !!!
I have no problem whatsoever in people asking questions !! But I do have a problem with posting a Legitimate knife in the Counterfeit area without asking me or someone with knowledge of Case knives ( and there are many ) about a certain item number before doing so :shock: I believe that’s the way this should have been handled !!! Ask before posting, Not post then ask !! My Opinion !!!
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Sweetpieces4you wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm Along with this “Legit” statement and now your response of not owning many case knives older than 10 yrs old :shock: in my opinion you should not be responding to, or giving your opinions to anything regarding knives !! In essence you have No Knowledge whatsoever regarding case knives !! Instead of postings and responses you should be reading and learning what this site has to offer !! And that goes for the original poster of my property as well !! I do however appreciate your apology !!!
I have no problem whatsoever in people asking questions !! But I do have a problem with posting a Legitimate knife in the Counterfeit area without asking me or someone with knowledge of Case knives ( and there are many ) about a certain item number before doing so :shock: I believe that’s the way this should have been handled !!! Ask before posting, Not post then ask !! My Opinion !!!
This isn’t the first time this has happened. Several other members have had there knives posted here ,with statements made. Only to find out the knife in Question is good. The way you handled this and your response was very well played . Agree with you that some folks should ask first,before posting statements that may not be accurate. It does feel like an attack on you personally when this happens,but don’t believe that to be the intent.
You do have some very nice pieces for sale ::tu::
JP
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I have found a way of avoiding counterfeits 100% of the time. I simply collect things that no one else wants and that are too cheap to copy. My hoard is all authentic.

Nobody counterfeits a Camp King!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Maddogfl wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:59 pm I have found a way of avoiding counterfeits 100% of the time. I simply collect things that no one else wants and that are too cheap to copy. My hoard is all authentic.

::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
I am right there with you, brother!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Maddogfl wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:59 pm I have found a way of avoiding counterfeits 100% of the time. I simply collect things that no one else wants and that are too cheap to copy. My hoard is all authentic.

Same here. I mostly buy Camillus and Schrade (as well as Swiss Army Knives and German and American Bokers) that were produced after 1970 and have (usually) Delrin handles. I own one Schrade Cut. Co penknife in peach seed bone, an 881 in stag (which was incomplete; and leftover when the plant closed), and a 204S Electrician (which as usual, is cocobolo). Shell handles are my favorite users. Cheap, but solid steel. My favorite pattern is the Barlow. I now own 4. I like the Kamp King when it is the (older) pattern; which is smaller and not clunky. I just sanded down the bottle opener/screwdriver on one, and it will now fit a #2 Phillips perfectly.

The only "old" Case I even own is a green bone '40-64 6347 that belonged to the best friend of my great-grandfather. It is practically worn out (he ran the last active flour mill in this area and used that knife daily), but still perfectly usable. It shows 50 years of wear (he passed away in the 1990s, and my Granddad had purchased the collection; as he'd just gotten started collecting knives), so there's no way it's fake. I carry it every once in a while, but mostly for special occasions. I also have a Standard Knife Co. Peanut that came in this year's POS exchange. Full blades (and still great snap), but the knife had celluloid handles that had outgassed and were removed. Going to have to get it rehandled, and use Antique Pearl Kirinite.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

There is another kind of counterfeiting too. When and old established, trusted business, lays off its workers, shutters the factory and starts building their products in Taiwan, China, or Mexico, and living high on the hog off the glory of the past. Aren't they too are counterfeiting. It is not only knife makers. I have a Boker automatic coming in the mail tomorrow, made in Taiwan. It is a bit disingenuous if Boker then screams because I buy a knockoff from China, now isn't it? American businessmen have seem to forgotten that loyalty is a two way street.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Maddogfl wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:38 am When and old established, trusted business, lays off its workers, shutters the factory and starts building their products in Taiwan, China, or Mexico, and living high on the hog off the glory of the past. Aren't they too are counterfeiting.
Counterfeiting, at least the way I interpret the term, is done with intent to deceive. I don't think that Schrade, Camillus, etc. production shifted overseas with deception in mind. "Trading on the name" is the phrase I use for such practices.

And since Cody mentioned Swiss Army knives, I ran across a listing for a "new" pre-1991 Swiss Army knife. It looked good in small pictures, but upon closer inspection, it was painfully obvious to me that the master blade (and likely the scales) had been replaced. I've debated about contacting the seller and seeing what sort of response I get.
USN 2000-2006
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I understand what you’re saying and why. However my approach has been the opposite. I was the victim of a counterfeiter. At first it turned me off of knife collecting. Then I got mad - why let some crook/jerk ruin what I like? I enjoy learning so decided to get educated about the brands I want to collect, study them so I’d be able to recognize a legitimate knife and avoid the counterfeits. I have been burnt on occasion, and might yet again. But it’ll be a rare occurrence. ::nod::

But y’all keep your philosophy of collecting Camp Kings etc. It thins out the competition! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Being new and not knowing the intricacies and fine points of identifying fakes, one thing I go by is of it looks too good to be 100 years old, I balk. I’m sure mint condition knives from the teens, twenties and thirties exist, but I just can’t bring myself to trust a knife that old that looks too good to be true. Sure I’ve probably missed some legit knives, but, then again, I think a little “patina” looks fine and eases my mind in the process. AND, I keep up with the counterfeits thread here - which I greatly appreciate!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Here's one that I wondered about when I saw it. Stamp doesn't look right to me. Any Case aficionados out there know if it's real or not?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334149763190?h ... SwV35hQnPd
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Someone please correct me, but I don't think CASE used an oval shield with "raised" letters such as this one.
However they did used raised letters on the "bomb" style shield on knives from 1915 to around 1925.
iKnife Collector.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”